IGNORED

Lynx High Score Club 2021 Round 6 Shanghai

roadrunner

This month we play Shanghai 

Settings - map Butterfly  (start a new game every time)

Deadline to post scores is July 1st 2021 at 12PM EST

Lynx high score club record - 

none yet!

Final best times -

jeremiahjt 4:46 tiles 144 +11 points +3 points for winning round
Rick Dangerous 4:58 tiles 144 +10 points
doctor_shred 5:31 tiles 144 +9 points
jblenkle 6:41 tiles 144 +8 points
jgkspsx 7:24 tiles 144 +7 points
sage 8:54 tiles 144 +6 points
nightmonkeyii 13:59 tiles 144 +5 points
roadrunner 18:15 tiles 144 +4 points
tripled79 18:18 tiles 118 +3 points

Current season point standings -

doctor_shred 48 points
Rick Dangerous 44 points
ilmapo81 28 points
unoclay 30 points
Peyo  24 points
roadrunner 28 points
jblenkle  24 points
jeremiahjt 23 points
agradeneu 14 points
jgkspsx 13 points
nightmonkeyii 7 points
oyamafamily 7 points
masematte 6 points
tripled79 3 points

Link to manual scan -

https://atariage.com/manual_thumbs.php?SoftwareLabelID=1883

Any corrections please post

s_Shanghai_1.png

Edited by roadrunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, tempting!  I never played much of this game (on AppleII, as a kid, but not since then), and usually i try to get a physical copy of things for these competitions.  But i dont know if Shanghai will have staying power for me....maybe will load onto my flashcart.  

• Like 1

This game is literally my favorite game to play in the HSC, it rocks!  So addicting...

Starting to rethink my strategy on these wider maps,  feel like edge pieces are more important than breaking down the tower up top first. @doctor_shred thoughts? 

@unoclay it's well worth the $10 and yes you will play it outside of the HSC!

SHANGHAI Atari Lynx NEW Cartridge and Manual ONLY NO BOX | eBay

• Like 1

For sure!  I am pretty good at clearing Dragon map, but Hawk and Butterfly have been a real challenge to even clear once.  I think i need to rethink my strategy rather than just trying to clear the board as fast as i can. 

Basically you get stuck if pieces are blocked, so the strategy should be to remove the pieces first that will unlock other tiles, rather than just try to clear whatever you can as soon as you see a match. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know the technique, but knowing it and actually doing it are two different things.

I assumed we should be starting new games every time? Since it uses the same tile layouts when you select “play this game again”, eventually you could just make a map of the whole layout…

@Rick Dangerous thanks for the encouragement, maybe i will, though my credit card bill this month is hideous and about to get worse.  hmmmm.

Noted you're from VT.  I'm actually heading up there (East Burke, and thereabouts) for a few days to visit friends in the rural nearby areas.  Fun state.  Very different than my philly environs.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, jgkspsx said:

I know the technique, but knowing it and actually doing it are two different things.

I assumed we should be starting new games every time? Since it uses the same tile layouts when you select “play this game again”, eventually you could just make a map of the whole layout…

Good info, not sure if this came up before. It didn't last time it was played.
Yes, start new game every time. I'll add that to the first post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doctor_shred said:

@Rick Dangerous The strategy needed seems to be a balance between clearing the stacked center tiles and picking off the edges.  The trick is to make sure that every pair cleared unlocks at least one previously unavailable tile.  Easier said than done! 

This is more or less the strategy i settled on, after a week or two of trial and error.  The key part is to "unlock one previously unavailable tile" each time, with at least one of the two tiles from the pair you are clearing if not both.  I also try to clear wider base sections first because they become harder to clear later on when you have a limited tile selection.  

• Like 1