IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

palette changes:

I just youtubed what I was currently playing. And oh my! I'm ashamed to show what I was playing this whole time 🫣. Zaxxon and Golgo13 don't look anywhere near as cool. I just thought it had a very limited color palette this whole time. 

IMG_20240311_104733118_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240311_104540758_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My costs would be having someone do the work, it's too fiddly for me and my low rent iron, and the kit itself. 

Though trying to work around having less than steady hands can be an issue, you definitely don't need an expensive iron.  Though I have a KSGER set, I do most of my work (including all the work shown on the Game Gear here) with my handy little Pinecil.

https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/

• Like 1

Well that's smaller than I have.  I got this combination kit of stuff amazon had I'm guessing some random chinese broker as usual there I'm guessing 6-7 years ago now.  Probably cost me around $30 or so, it's delisted for sale but archived at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJNKQ8W

Kits like that are like 1/2 the price they were then I noticed with suggestions that can be bought they do.  My concern basically is shaking, then trying to clean up the mess.  My tip is still fine, shows age and probably could be replaced, but at that cost a new iron entirely would be smarter.  I just don't do that much repair, just when something pops up or a battery swap so I just never wanted to put like $50-500 into something with digital displays, etc going on.  That one has a temp setting, doesn't overheat like one I had prior that was even jankier, and has an on off saftey switch so it gets the job done.  Finest work probably doing virtual boy ribbon soldering to bulletproof that mess up to fatter wires in late 70s into the 80s handhelds and stuff.  I'm also using crap flux fish paste, don't have a good syringe of clear goo that goes on cleaner/better either.  I keep it around despite the annoyance as largely it works well to safe guard ribbons that'll curl and melt, seems to buffer the worst heat so I can do a single pass attach on those things for the VB etc when I do it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I got this combination kit of stuff amazon had I'm guessing

Oh wow I have this same exact kit. I also got the one of similar price with same items but came in a small flashlight box with a handle. Then the plastic latch promptly broke after one use and stopped staying closed. Everything was good value for the cheap cost. 

Hah funny, and yeah quality wise it has held up.  I'm a bit surprised given all the tools and pieces and consumables it had.  It's good enough for moderately fiddly things like the VB ribbon when I shield it with the nasty paste flux.  But if I were to step into doing finer stuff like tiny legs of like smaller chips like gameboy advance had, n64, vboy etc I wouldn't dare.  Same with the finer mods like GG needs for the LCD ribbon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Same with the finer mods like GG needs for the LCD ribbon.

I actually use like a 1.5mm chisel tip off my Hakko for pretty much everything I do. What you do is use lots of flux on the pins on the LCD connection side of the PCB and then go across with a little bit of solder on the iron tip to pre tin all of the little finger pads first. The flux helps to prevent them from bridging in the process.

Then I tape down the top of the flex ribbon to keep it aligned with the pins where needed. And I apply flux again, put a little bit of solder on the tip of the iron, and then go across in a downward motion on each end of the flex to tack it into position. 

From there I do the same in the middle. Then I put on more flux and do a drag solder across the pins feeding just a tiny bit of solder as I go along. But tacking in the spots I did ahead of time, it helps to prevent the flex from trying to flip back up off the PCB on me as each pin starts to cool just after being hit with solder and heat as I got onto the next.

It really is much easier with the flex cables vs the individual wires like a McWill kit requires. I use liquid flex that is applied with a small brush. Very sticky and takes a lot of IPA to clean it up, but it keeps that solder where I need it to go. 

• Like 3

Seems to be a few decent looking titles there, some shooters and racers.  Wing Warriors, (GBC port of) Tetris, Turrican demo, fire track, grail of the gods(newest post), donkey gg and a lot of others.  Maybe a few will not be that great, but some of them on the visual side of the sample images look solid.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seems to be a few decent looking titles there, some shooters and racers.  Wing Warriors, (GBC port of) Tetris, Turrican demo, fire track, grail of the gods(newest post), donkey gg and a lot of others.  Maybe a few will not be that great, but some of them on the visual side of the sample images look solid.

That's where I follow the Sword of Stone and RPG at I linked us to awhile ago.

• Like 1

i recently got a 2001 majesco game gear second hand and i love it, its a giant deadly brick of fun! tbh the reported facts that the system sold like 11 Million units and reportedly in 1998 controlled 8% of the handheld market 1 year after discontinuation is still an impressive feat to me, although it is obvious that sega really didint give the system the kind of refresh that nintendo gave the game boy with the Pocket, and the library after 1995 was barren. Damn shame really.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is, but the developer doesn't have the funds to mass produce it and doesn't want to make it open source, so it might as well stay as a prototype. There are also a lot of bugs with many games. What I think is the main issue is that the Master System is even less popular than the Game Gear if you don't consider the sales in Brazil and Europe, the fact that the adapter only works on it and not on the Mega Drive means that there aren't a lot of people willing to buy it in the US, which is where the developer is from.

• Like 2