IGNORED

400 Incognito

chevymad

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

Does this mean if one enables this memory mode in incognito, that joystick ports 3&4 are disabled?

In 800 HW, x4 joystick ports fully enabled in Colleen mode (AXLON 1MB expansion works beautifully because it has its own banking register in $CFFF), and x2 ports (in XL mode, due to PortB committed to logic / control of banked RAM, Basic-rom, etc.).

However, you can still have access to (most) of those ports, by re-initializing PIA, etc... I am sure Candle will expand on this, with more details. 

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

In 800 HW, x4 joystick ports fully enabled in Colleen mode (AXLON 1MB expansion works beautifully because it has its own banking register in $CFFF), and x2 ports (in XL mode, due to PortB committed to logic / control of banked RAM, Basic-rom, etc.).

However, you can still have access to (most) of those ports, by re-initializing PIA, etc... I am sure Candle will expand on this, with more details. 

Faicuai,

Thank you for the explanation! I remember back in the day, there was lot of software that would not work with the 400/800 because it required 64K or more using the XL/XE memory mapping. It is great to see that now there are hardware upgrades out there now that expands the base of useable software for 800 series and now, hopefully, for the 400 series.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/2/2021 at 8:08 PM, chevymad said:

Anybody else see Lotharek's post on FB this morning. Showed a few new products he hopes will be out in August. The scan doubler, and the externam U1MB are listed but the 400 Incognito surprised me. Not that I need another upgraded machine, but I'll still hotrod my original 400 when this comes out I think. https://www.facebook.com/lotharek/posts/3147533625477406

Just an almost-biannual check in on this.  Seems like it's probably stalled, but perhaps @lotharek could clarify?

(And yep, I'm aware of @reifsnyderb's 1056k Memory Upgrade Board for the Atari 400.  Nothing against it by any means, but would like to have the same integration with SIDE3 as on my U1MB machines if at all possible.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Just an almost-biannual check in on this.  Seems like it's probably stalled, but perhaps @lotharek could clarify?

I expect the answer will be that the firmware isn't written yet, and that this is my fault. I did, however, explain to Lotharek the last time the matter was brought up that I have just moved house, am backed up with work, and spent the last three months of 2023 with one of my fingers in a splint. I also pointed out that I'd spent several months in 2022 doing a complete re-write of the SIDE3 Loader which appeared to have gone completely unnoticed but which nevertheless counts in large part towards the firmware which will ultimately run on the devices currently in development. I also note that upgrades which don't depend on my input at all (Simple Stereo 4, VBXE 3, etc) appear no closer to release than Incognito Lite, Incognito 3 and External U1MB. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@flashjazzcat How dare you have perfectly understandable reasons for any delays on your end :D

No big deal, really.  As it happens, it's lower-priority in amongst the Atari things I'm looking to do this year, but not having heard anything for a bit figured I'd bump the thread and see if anything shook out of it.  Appreciate the reply!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good stuff. I'm chomping at the bit for some quality coding time, although I do feel we've yet to fully exploit existing hardware from a software point of view (or completely nail stability on the hardware, for that matter), and I think time spent on R&D will pay off big time even if this means a longer wait for stuff to actually become available. That's just my view, however. :)

• Like 2