IGNORED

XEGS sound problem

tkarner

So my XEGS developed a sound problem today.

When I power it up with a game cartridge the game's audio is very low, about half normal volume, and within about ten seconds it fades to almost nothing. If I cycle the power or hit reset the sound returns briefly at half volume and again fades.

I opened it up. All solder points on the audio port look good. And all the caps on the motherboard look good (though I know that's not conclusive).

Any ideas?

Or can anyone suggest someone for repairs (possibly in the NJ area)?

Thanks.

Thanks, good idea. I almost forgot the XEGS has RF output. I've never used it.

Anyway, just tried it and same problem. Well, a little different. I starts out at almost normal volume before it fades. And once it fades I can still hear it but it's muffled, very bass heavy.

Do key clicks also similarly fade? (Ie when typing in BASIC) That sound is generated by GTIA not POKEY - if so, suggests not  the POKEY or GTIA IC's but something else along the audio/mixing path. If no, then it points to POKEY specifically...

Well, I've narrowed down the problem. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the XEGS is fine. The problem is in the TV. The bad news is that the TV is my prized 32" Sony Wega flat CRT from 2001. At least the picture is still good. I might have to come up with an external audio solution.

Thanks for your help.