IGNORED

Wouldn't this be cool?

emkay

A special contest about the broad variety of POKEY sound. 

Somehow a nice 3 channel tune, that works on the standard atari waves and single VBI. 

One minute of length at least.

A tune has to be chosen by the forum members then, if there were more than one proposal.

This tune put into a contest. 

Everyone who is interested, could chose it (ofcourse with namimg of the source) and take part.

Use any tracker pokey setting, patch ...

Then 3 months later the contest will gather all results, and then listen to the final versions, and how different they were.

So every version won't be influenced by "other ideas" . 

The winners take the honor ;)

33 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

I think it would be better each approach it from their own style of development, not just mod from the same starting point.

The point is that it only will be possible to do real music with POKEY, if it is developed to put the right notation and arrangements in, and to find the fitting sounds, to have the real piece of music replayed. 

One of those needed steps is to have the variations of sounding, based on a real notation. 

A three channel tune allows a lot "musicians ideas" to be added.  

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

You sound like you haven't read any of the files & watched the video?

Well, If I'd took care about too much written and video, something like this may never have appeared:

or this

or this

or

There is still a huge gap between the theoretical solutions and what POKEY can do. 

And this one...

Problem?

Tunes like this one:

... might not get the correct response, because people don't like the "musicstyle" at all.

To assure some deficit on musical taste, a special tune that is liked by most people , should take place for the beginning. 

Why change the subject? Keep it on topic or this thread just comes across like an ego boost?!

If Pokey can't do Xenon because the octave range is too great then just say. If you can't do it until someone types it into RMT for you then just say.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Why change the subject? Keep it on topic or this thread just comes across like an ego boost?!

I didn't change the subject. 

It's just that you don't understand my words. 

The videos should explain things, but you guys seem to understand things wrong by intention.

9 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

If Pokey can't do Xenon because the octave range is too great then just say. If you can't do it until someone types it into RMT for you then just say.

Where have you been in the last 20 years?

The discussion ends always at the point of "musical taste" . 

That's why it is better to have some basic notation that fits to most people here.

OK. 

The fun is over.

Forget about it. 

You're the only one whose mentioned 'musical taste'? (well, the only other one in this thread to be fair)

The tune itself of Xenon is deceptively simple but the note range and effects applied are why I have chosen it as something the stretch how Pokey can be utilised.

In the OP it is stated "A tune has to be chosen by the forum members then, if there were more than one proposal." So are your video postings more proposals?

Otherwise, a call out here to any readers to up-vote Xenon :) 

xenon_tune.txt

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with much SID music, but the one thing I'll say is besides Delta I've never heard a conversion that I liked on the Pokey.  The sounds of the two chips are far too different and with most music, I will prefer the original to any remake.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm not familiar with much SID music, but the one thing I'll say is besides Delta I've never heard a conversion that I liked on the Pokey.  The sounds of the two chips are far too different and with most music, I will prefer the original to any remake.

If you check the  txt file. you see a lot of direct manipulations during the tune is played. 

There is still no comparision in programming possibilities.  

Also, the most relevant part is to have it played on the Atari. 

SIDs are always a proposal, as there is clever chip tuning used to have the tune sounding good within the limits. 

I think it's a nice idea. We some sort of did that with Noisy Pillars already. XLent's transcription. Lots of people tried their magic on it ;)

So, first decide on a song. It would be a lot easier if there's a proper .mod or .sid file (siddump) to transcribe the song.

One problem though, while transcribing the song you are bound to add instruments, too. Otherwise you cannot properly check your transcription :) Well, perhaps dull dist A, C and 8 instruments could be used at first.

Edit: and a three channel song would be nice, so we have one extra ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

OK let's do Xenon.

C64 sid version by Paul Tonge. Could be useful with siddump. Very bland version though IMHO.

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/T/Tonge_Paul/Xenon.sid

Atari ST version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnBHWB53eEg

SNDH file is here: http://sndh.atari.org/sndh/browser/index.php?dir=sndh_lf%2FWhittaker_David%2F

Original Amiga version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHfj0u9L9k

Obviously not a PSG :)

Here's the Amiga DW file: https://ocremix.org/chip/9799

David Whittaker tracker format. No idea how to transcribe that.

But who is going to do the RMT transcription ;)

Edited by ivop
added DW link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VinsCool said:

This could be done after the simple 3 channels version, with all 4 channels enabled, right? :D 

The point is that every contestant gets the same source.  3 channel, simple instruments, one VBI 

From that source any "enhancement" could be used.

No one shows the result inbetween, so no bias could happen. 

• Like 1