IGNORED

Wouldn't this be cool?

emkay

A 'measure' covers 64 notes and there are 36 of them (*) before the tune re-aligns/repeats, so 2304 notes

The ST PAL playback rate is 50Hz and the note speed is 5 and so notes are at 10Hz (making NTSC playback a case of setting the note delay to 6)

2304 / 10 = 230s = 3m 50s

(*) Melody 1's '1,2,3' pattern repeats 12 times and Melody 2's '4,5,6,7' pattern repeats 9 times.

Edited by Wrathchild
corrected
  • Like 1

I transcribed my version loosely from the Amiga version by ear, but I am absolutely certain I got all the parts matching (to the best Atari can do it), there is always an extra pattern at the end of the 3rd key change, which added up to make 4:16, and is tightly equal to both the Amiga version's loop and the Atari ST version as far as I could tell, did not do a full comparison to that version.

• Like 1

Something else for people to have a go at if they want to...

C64 version:

Original for reference:

The original GoatTracker 2.75 file is attached as a .zip file so that notation can be extracted. I've been wondering about getting to a Pokey version for a while, as I'm not 100% happy with the way it is around the 1:50 mark/position 18 in the tracker file - I was really feeling the need for a 4th channel at that point and didn't really find a 3 channel compromise I was completely happy with. I haven't really got the time at the moment so I figured I'd throw the source file out into the world and let other people play.

Channel 1 is the bassline, Channel 2 is the melody, channel 3 is chords + snare drum.

here comes your man mk2.zip

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

the usual suspects ?

And I did not specifically plan to participate myself, besides doing the base themes in RMT. Perhaps I'll improve it some over time, if I can find the motivation ;)

On YouTube, Spring responded: (emphasize is mine)

I didn't know there was a challenge to remake xenon :3 that explains why I've seen several people work on it though

So who knows how many plan on releasing their own version :)

• Like 1

It's what I wrote: POKEY doesn't need the "Keychange" trickery a with "just square wave" producing Soundchips. 

It's not getting boring, because a lot different sound-styles can be used. 

And to be honest, back in time I was wondering, why sometimes I liked the Amiga version a lot, and inbetween ... not. 

I really don't see "beauty" in key chage there. 

The ST version also sounds "partially" ... not detuned but "droning" . 

But for the sake of completeness. Perhaps the key-change will find it's way :)

On 6/12/2021 at 8:54 PM, emkay said:

Out of ideas for now.

Here are two:

- You managed to lively up yourself theme 4a, which I like very much. But theme 4b is still the same note with pretty extreme vibrato that I put there as a placeholder :) It's 4 bars. You need 8 instruments with increasingly faster and deeper vibrato for each half bar (2 beats, 8 pattern lines). The last instrument should have a slide up.

- Theme 6 could maybe need some more percussive instruments. By which I mean that you play the first frame of each note an octave up (perhaps slightly lower in volume?). Something to try :)

Edited by ivop

10 minutes ago, ivop said:

Here are two:

- You managed to lively up yourself theme 4a, which I like very much. But theme 4b is still the same note with pretty extreme vibrato that I put there as a placeholder :) It's 4 bars. You need 8 instruments with increasingly faster and deeper vibrato for each half bar (2 beats, 8 pattern lines). The last instrument should have a slide up.

- Theme 6 could maybe need some more percussive instruments. By which I mean that you play the first frame of each note an octave up (perhaps slightly lower in volume?). Something to try :)

Videos have a timeindex. So you could explain where you want what :)

25 minutes ago, emkay said:

Videos have a timeindex. So you could explain where you want what :)

Theme 4a is pattern 06 in my original rmt file (both 4chan and 3chan versions).

Theme 4b is pattern 07.

In the original ST/Amiga version, it takes both patterns to slowly increase the vibrato depth/speed. I notated two place holders. Pattern 06 has no vibrato at all. Pattern 07 has a lot of vibrato.

You already did your own take on pattern 06 (which is cool!), but pattern 07 is dull ;)

And theme 6 is pattern 09.

Edited by ivop

9 hours ago, ivop said:

Example of octave percussive instrument 0C (melody 6, pattern 09):

melody6instrument.png.4f723120cff2c7edb9c35069e0128038.png

You can also set Y\: to C00C00 or C000C0

I know command 3 ;)

The problem here is the 8bit resolution and the fact that .... still..... the results differ inside RMT.

The original tuning in RMT always offers two different "timbres" .

octave-> timbre

0 1

1 0

2 1

3 0

Handling one instrument on a tune might take some hours. 

Handling  one instrument , split it to several sub-instruments , and to have a pattern that still is on the same timbre, takes days.... ;) after different sound settings...

The funny part: Using PWM does some automatic correction. But PWM is used like two POKEYs were playing already. 

9 hours ago, emkay said:

I know command 3 ;)

Sorry, not meant to insult your intelligence, but I thought an image says more than a thousand words. Didn't want to describe the picture ;)

9 hours ago, emkay said:

The problem here is the 8bit resolution and the fact that .... still..... the results differ inside RMT.

The original tuning in RMT always offers two different "timbres" .

octave-> timbre

0 1

1 0

2 1

3 0

Handling one instrument on a tune might take some hours. 

Handling  one instrument , split it to several sub-instruments , and to have a pattern that still is on the same timbre, takes days.... ;) after different sound settings...

The funny part: Using PWM does some automatic correction. But PWM is used like two POKEYs were playing already.

I have tried the above instrument on theme 6 (pattern 09), and I think it sounds nice, but YMMV. But it's less important than improving theme 4b (pattern 07). You just need 8 instruments with increasing more vibrato and have a slide up in the 8th instrument.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:47 PM, rensoup said:

Yo! Is the competition over yet ?  So where are the goods ? 

?

No idea ;)

Wait till the end of July. 

From my side nothing new here, as I'm not satisfied anyhow, adding stuff since the latest video here. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:47 PM, rensoup said:

Yo! Is the competition over yet ?  So where are the goods ? 

?

I dunno, my version is pretty much finished since the last time I posted in this thread lol
just a little touch up and I could release it right away.

• Like 1