IGNORED

Wouldn't this be cool?

emkay

1 hour ago, pseudografx said:

Not sure if you all are aware of it, but this tune had been covered back in 1992 by Fred Brooker. See http://asma.atari.org/asmadb/search.php?play=1537

I was ?

DW of course but he mostly skipped the A8 because his greatest tunes were part of games that never came out on it ie: thundercats, ice palace, speedball, xenon (Filip Oscadal made a pretty good xenon tune conversion named brutal recall),...

I was convinced yesterday when I saw this thread that I remembered him doing a Speedball conversion...

memory's failing ?

Speedball on Pokey would be nice too... unless it exists already ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, rensoup said:

I like!

The guitar starts really nicely but as it goes into the higher notes, it seems a little off... but it's already more impressive than the ST version!

Please carry on ?

Thanks!
I know for the guitar btw, I also didn't like it, some impossible sounds can easily overcome this ?

• Like 1

Okay now that's more to my liking :D 
Then it's just a matter of transposing parts and adding anything missing.

Feel free to play in the .rmt, it's got most of the essential already :P 
It can still be reduced to only 3 channels very easily too, since I mixed the bass in the percussions, the 4th channel could be used for anything ?

Xenon v5.obx Xenon v5.rmt

• Like 4

17 hours ago, rensoup said:

nice start! did you do it manually or did you convert the DW?

I used the video breakdown linked to earlier in this thread. Just typed in the "themes", ordered the song, and added some minimal sounds. Time taken: 1 hour :)  I was surprised how nice it already sounds, and I'm looking forward what the others can do with it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ivop said:

Time taken: 1 hour :)  I was surprised how nice it already sounds, and I'm looking forward what the others can do with it!

nice take on it! 

Just wondering... do you think it'd be possible to convert DW amiga tunes to RMT? just the patterns of course...

What about sidmon & future composer ? Would pattern effects be a problem ?

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

There was an ST to Pokey conversion of the Xenon music on the New Years Disk 2014.

No need to look around or go searching, here are the files (on an ATR image)...

Interesting that its author wrote a ym2pokey converter (too bad he never released it)... It's known that the YM in the ST was a crap chip but the fact that you can actually backport a tune to the previous generation still boggles the mind!

Just wondering... do you think it'd be possible to convert DW amiga tunes to RMT? just the patterns of course...

I have done some research, and it looks like the DW format was never reverse engineered. The players on modern platforms use an m68k emulator and the original Amiga code, which is then fed a DW file. DW files also seem to have embedded m68k code.

What about sidmon & future composer ? Would pattern effects be a problem ?

Couldn't find source code or a format description of Sidmon.

Future Composer description is here: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/documents/format_documentation/Future Composer v1.0-1.3, 1.4 (.smc, .fc).txt

• Like 2

8 hours ago, emkay said:

Contest about "xenon" . Yes or no?

No response is taken as a "no". 

Let's wait 2 days for responses. 

I'd say yes. That's why I created the rmt in the first place :)

Let's call it a challenge, instead of compo or contest. Four weeks, starting this saturday. Showing progress is optional. Then release at the last day, and have us all be surprised :)

You do not have to use the example rmt file. As long as a (stock?) Atari makes some noise that resembles Xenon Track 1, everything is allowed IMHO.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, ivop said:

I'd say yes. That's why I created the rmt in the first place :)

Let's call it a challenge, instead of compo or contest. Four weeks, starting this saturday. Showing progress is optional. Then release at the last day, and have us all be surprised :)

You do not have to use the example rmt file. As long as a (stock?) Atari makes some noise that resembles Xenon Track 1, everything is allowed IMHO.

Fuck yes, time to make impossible sounds then! :D 
I got my version halfway done already, based directly on the Amiga version, and will attempt to get as many things as possible to sound cool with it, as well as my own little twist (such as the Distortion 2 harmony in the background, or filter effects simulating an overdriven guitar, etc)
For now I know my vibrato sounds very wrong, lol, it's kinda hard to make a progressively wider vibrato without proper effect commands in RMT.
4 channels, 50hz, this is what I am going to use there, and optionally reducing to 3 channels removing the extra stuff is very easy too.

Edited by VinsCool
typo
  • Like 4

OK, let's do it! We should start a new topic on saturday. Four weeks challenge!

As for stock hardware or not, I think more RAM should be allowed. Stereo Pokey, but that might get you less admiration ;) And that's it. No streaming from SD cards or hardware support by a UNO cart, or something else. Perhaps that could be covered under one one simple "rule" that says: after loading the song from disk, no other communication with peripheral hardware is allowed, except for writing to Pokey and switching RAM banks. This also covers playing a song on tape through SIO audio in ;)

• Like 2

One of the main rules in the 1st post was that POKEY has to be the replaying part. 

SIO does not fully fit in there ;)

Also, GTIA sound is not in the rules.

But, for some "historical" ( ;) ) cause, dual POKEY is ok.

CPU usage is free to chose.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

One of the main rules in the 1st post was that POKEY has to be the replaying part. 

SIO does not fully fit in there ;)

Also, GTIA sound is not in the rules.

But, for some "historical" ( ;) ) cause, dual POKEY is ok.

CPU usage is free to chose.

OK, one or two Pokeys. RAM by choice, no co-processor (UNO cart, etc..), no SIO.

Pokey should be the base. But how about a fifth (or more) channel on GTIA? If it adds to the Pokey sound, I'd say go for it!

And, well, we have the difference of 50 and 60 Hz machines. 

That's why the result needs to play on those machines correctly. 

Altirra, as an "interchange device" is the replaying part for all participants. 

To make it more clear:

A 60Hz tune needs only to run on 60Hz correctly, and a 50Hz tune needs only to run on a 50Hz machine correctly. 

Edited by emkay

Just now, ivop said:

OK, one or two Pokeys. RAM by choice, no co-processor (UNO cart, etc..), no SIO.

Pokey should be the base. But how about a fifth (or more) channel on GTIA? If it adds to the Pokey sound, I'd say go for it!

GTIA is stock hardware for sound.... why not using it, if it adds to POKEY's sound ? It's ok.

Actually , I doubt that someone is using that ;)

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

GTIA is stock hardware for sound.... why not using it, if it adds to POKEY's sound ? It's ok.

Actually , I doubt that someone is using that ;)

Cool. So basically the rules are: create a Pokey tune. Optionally use a second Pokey (stereo), or the GTIA chip to enhance the sound. Amount of RAM is not limitted. Neither is the CPU time needed to create the sounds. No streaming from SD cards, or co-processors, or PCI/SIO audio in.

• Like 2