IGNORED

Stun Runner on Jaguar

vrocko

Okay so I'm SOL on that apparently. I'll stick to my Lynx and the Stun Runner on there. At least it works and is a pretty good port. I'll wait for Xevious and the Metroid/Castlevania clone game to come out. Those look close to done and very nice. Oh and the Nitrous/Outrun clone too which looks really good to me, hope that's not done by the same guy! I'd attempt something myself as I used to program but that was back in the 80's and 90's, many, many moons ago in computer terms, and I've never attempted a video game so I'm way out of practice when it comes to programming. Life changes and you have to change with it. 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Sporadic said:

Nope , that's me ?

Oh Good!! Hope to see it on CD or cart sometime soon but I know real life can get in the way and you're probably doing it on your own. Adulting is really a pain sometimes. ?

• Like 1

That's kind of unfortunate about that... The demo VladVR was not too shabby in my opinion... One thing about all of 3D stuff on the Jaguar; the more I look into what the Jag can actually do with 3D versus what I'd like to see it do, the more I'm starting to look closer at more of a 2D pseudo 3D rout in classic form that looks more appealing with faster gameplay like "Super Burnout" for the Jag using sprites. Maybe one day I'll find a way to trick the Jag system into producing fast 3D using 2D methods; that has always been my philosophy concerning the Atari Jaguar and that's its ability to produce fast pseudo 3D on the fly thus the art of faking 3D. A couple of games come to mind... "S.T.U.N. Runner" for the Atari Lynx and "Night Striker" for the Sega CD as great futuristic sci-phi racers using scaling sprite based graphics... I haven't personally played "TUBES" yet on the Jag, but it seems decent enough. I've always considered "STUN Runner" to be another version of "RoadBlaster" redone in 3D with a different vehicle mechanic.

10 hours ago, philipj said:

That's kind of unfortunate about that... The demo VladVR was not too shabby in my opinion...

Seriously?  Roughly 12 polygons in a straight line with clipping errors and a pre-rendered cut scene with massive slowdown?  I'd sure hate to see what you consider a crappy demo then.

• Haha 3

On 6/12/2021 at 12:33 PM, Stephen said:

Seriously?  Roughly 12 polygons in a straight line with clipping errors and a pre-rendered cut scene with massive slowdown?  I'd sure hate to see what you consider a crappy demo then.

Yeah it needed a lot of work but that's not gonna happen from what everyone's said. Backgrounds, curves, more tracks, power ups, different types of enemies and a lot more needed. It's a start but you're not gonna get preorders on a demo that's only a straight line with a few ships. Better than I could do but no one's going to put up cash unless it's further along and you have a set date to ship it out. 

VladVR was one of the few to tackle 3D on the Jaguar... Very admirable if you ask me... It's too bad the game never came along further. Despite the polygonal look, I think the game gets a pass for being a home-brew... As long as the game-play is good, I've played a lot of bad polygonal games that were very fun to play and thus got a pass on being so blocky. Too expect too much more from the Jaguar would require pulling some tricks beyond the normal, which is what I'd like to do someday... Until then, you have to settle for what you can get out of the Jaguar system.

1 hour ago, philipj said:

VladVR was one of the few to tackle 3D on the Jaguar... Very admirable if you ask me... It's too bad the game never came along further. Despite the polygonal look, I think the game gets a pass for being a home-brew... As long as the game-play is good, I've played a lot of bad polygonal games that were very fun to play and thus got a pass on being so blocky. Too expect too much more from the Jaguar would require pulling some tricks beyond the normal, which is what I'd like to do someday... Until then, you have to settle for what you can get out of the Jaguar system.

???

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 9:33 AM, Stephen said:

Check this guy's posting history and you'll see that logic and reality simply don't exist in the realm of his mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Check this guy's posting history and you'll see that logic and reality simply don't exist in the realm of his mind. 

100% known yet I was considered the asshole for pointing this out to him.  Seems to be another trait of these Rain Man types.

BTW - I'm really wanting to see a progress update on this, considering he's had enough time to move across country 5 more times, and calculate how many thousand dollars per day he is losing to devote to his elite coding venture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

100% known yet I was considered the asshole for pointing this out to him.  Seems to be another trait of these Rain Man types.

BTW - I'm really wanting to see a progress update on this, considering he's had enough time to move across country 5 more times, and calculate how many thousand dollars per day he is losing to devote to his elite coding venture.

I regret to inform you he has moved to developing the game on the Amiga. He started taking pre-orders in March 2020...want to guess if he delivered the game or delivered excuses?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Wow - what a surprise.  Promises the moon, delivers nothing.  There was the requisite delay from travel.  There was the number-wang of increased resolution.  We had delays of months at a time.  All of this, and one video again of a straight line.  Damn that guy is good.

• Like 2

So it all started with "Road-Rash 3D can be done on Jag" (even if apparently there were earlier claims on him being King-Of-3D, Master-Of-Bresenham, Culler-Of-The-Gods, Ruler-Of-The-Frustrum)  then it went onto "I'll do flat shaded as they look better on the Jag", then "I'll make a living by developing flat-shaded 3D games on the Jag", then foray on 8-bit land and his version of Stun-Runner-ish for Lynx (I found it so boring but hey, it was something ... however not really stunning) ... then to VampireV4 (same game new name, Heimdall !?!?) .... yeah because unless you have 190+MIPS and 100+MFlops 3D flat shaded is hard .... promising 68060 and also 68040 versions later on (mmmhhh 68040@25Mhz has 4.5MFlops .... so 20+ times slower than VampireV4 let alone if there's no RTG, not that any of this matter)

apparently 6 people pre-ordered (why?)
holy schmoly that's something else.

I am sure there's more to it about his misery but he's not helping it!

Champion-Of-Disappointment is more fitting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Lmfao "So I will need to spend at least 2-4 weeks implementing various color-space conversion techniques."

Because photoshop or paintshop or a bajillion other free tools don't exist for that, and storage is soooo tight on those high end amigas.......

How did any games ever get finished on any platform before the genius that is Vladr arrived? Numberwang dickhead.

• Like 1

I think he could make the game more interesting by having a wider rendering area (wider than the visible display area), and move it a little bit to the sides to simulate a turning road, because now it just looks like a very long straight track.

Reaction to the video:

"New wave of 3D games for the Amiga", what happened to the wave of games for the Jaguar?

It will also be very interesting to see how he implements textures using the Amiga blitter...

(unless he intends to draw them pixel-by-pixel to the planar graphics of the Amiga using the CPU)

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

Obvious intent to rip off idealistic but also naive fans. All his promises are so unrealistic, his roadmap is ridiculous. 

I am surprised 6 people fell for it, 6 too many. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

It will also be very interesting to see how he implements textures using the Amiga blitter...

By coming up with an utterly implausible excuse for not being around (or, more simply, just vanish) and re-appear to try and scam another group of people.

I heart the CT60 falcon crowd are crying out for new games?  6 people might be a bit unrealistic though, that might be all of them ;)

• Haha 4

I hate to pick on the guy because he's his own ridiculous enemy most of the time, but geez, he thinks he can, by himself, develop Final Lap R to OutRun to Need For Speed/WipeOut game types over a span of 14 months using the same engine? (ignoring the fact that he's stating SEVEN games) The same engine that he's used for every demo ever, regardless of platform, it seems? The one that goes in a straight line? Really? That's a mighty dry well at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2