IGNORED

Looking For: Apple IIe

Frozone212

So Ebay is hit to miss. I am looking for an Apple IIe to start my collection. Partly out of a desire to learn BASIC programming and partly because Old Apple II's are awesome. I've only ever used one in emulation so i have 4 questions:

1. Is Integer Basic included with the IIe or do i need a separate card?

2. If I wanted to expand the computer, what would be my options?

3. Does it come with paddles or can i use Arrow/numeric keys

4. Is there a book like Mapping the 64 for the IIe?

I would greatly appreciate this. Always wanted one of these old machines. I'm already working on getting Assembly Lines and a few other books

also, a bit confused. did the IIe come before the IIc or after?

So Ebay is hit to miss. I am looking for an Apple IIe to start my collection. Partly out of a desire to learn BASIC programming and partly because Old Apple II's are awesome. I've only ever used one in emulation so i have 4 questions:

I would greatly appreciate this. Always wanted one of these old machines. I'm already working on getting Assembly Lines and a few other books

Apple IIe https://g.co/kgs/5V6HaE

Apple IIc https://g.co/kgs/uCuHJg

"The Apple II FAQ - HTML version" http://umich.edu/~archive/apple2/faq/faq.html

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Integer BASIC doesn’t come built in, but you can load it via floppy disk. I think ProDOS comes with it. No extra hardware required as long as you have a disk and a drive. 

First thing you’d want is an extended 80 columns card (the one that has 64k of expansion RAM) and a super serial card. And a floppy drive of course. They’ve all gotten pretty pricey lately, but it is what it is with Apple II hardware. You might have some luck finding these for cheap in the Apple II Facebook group

Depends entirely on the game, although most seem to allow both keyboard and joystick/paddle controls. You probably want to snag a set of controllers if you want to play games properly though. 

Whenever you’re looking for any kind of documentation, always start with the original manual that came with the computer. Apple II computers came with excellent documentation and they should provide you with plenty of information. Should you need anything extra you can always check online archives as documentation on Apple IIs are extremely abundant. 

IIe came before IIc.

Forgot one thing, look for an enhanced IIe. You can always upgrade a non-enhanced one, but it’s always better to acquire one that is enhanced to begin with. They are designated by an “Enhanced” sticker on the power LED. They come with a 65C02 processor, and it has the mini-assembler built in, which was missing on a standard IIe. 

Another thing: I am not a fan of Apple II BASIC, although that’s only my opinion. The various versions of Microsoft BASIC that came with the various Tandy computers and Commodore BASIC (which is also MS BASIC) both feature much more convenient screen editors than the Apple II. Given their lower cost compared to Apple IIs, if your sole purpose is to learn BASIC, I’m not sure if a full Apple II system would be an excellent idea, especially when you would have a hard time convincing your parents that you need a TI99.

Edited by bluejay