IGNORED

Cartridge box templates, blank boxes and repro boxes in 2021?

Zefrem23

There are many threads on AtariAge dealing with cart boxes for 2600 games, but most if not all have dead links or recommendations for companies and services that no longer exist. What's the current situation in 2021 if I want to download box templates, buy blank boxes in the correct cardstock to print myself, or pick up repro boxes to save the hassle of home printing?

For repro boxes, are there any other options aside from WeLoveAtari out there?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174789292589?hash=item28b240f22d:g:j88AAOSw0vtgt1ly

If you don't mind putting your games in plastic boxes, there are universal games cases and covers for them can be found at thecoverproject.net. Unfortunately, not all games are there and the US company that made the boxes no longer seems to be making them.  They are increasing in price and still available from places like ebay. That's the route I've gone down and I've had to teach myself gimp (free photoshop type software) in order to create the covers that aren't on thecoverproject.  It was a hassle at first but rewarding and I've done many but still have quite a few to go.  If you want all your carts in boxes though, then the more you have, the more you have your work cut out for you.  I doubt there's anywhere that does repro cardboard boxes for all Atari games.  You will have to learn gimp or photoshop, create a box template and find a printer that can print them for you.  It maybe daunting but where there's a will, there's a way.  Good luck.  It would be interesting to read about your box making adventures on AtariAge.

• Like 1

I, too, have put in time to learn gimp, and though some techniques are somewhat unintuitive, now that I feel comfortable with it, I end up using it for many things, including as a better tool than camscanner for improving printed documents.

I mostly use the universal game cases made of translucent plastic (various manufacturers) for most games except Genesis and SMS and have made many, many custom sleeves. I mostly just do my own thing and don't even try to copy the official/original boxes, though.

10 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I doubt there's anywhere that does repro cardboard boxes for all Atari games.  You will have to learn gimp or photoshop, create a box template and find a printer that can print them for you.

I've been using Photoshop since 1995 so that's not an issue. For me the challenge is accuracy to the original materials combined with a high level of perfectionism that makes me generally unsatisfied with anything I make myself. It can always be that little bit better.

The universal game cases definitely serve a purpose, but I'm trying to cut down on plastic usage overall. For the most part I'm happy to keep my retrogaming enjoyment digital-only, but the 2600 was my first console as a kid and therefore holds an extra-special place in my heart. So cardboard seems like a good option, and if it gives me the opporutnity for a little bit of creativity, then so much the better.

I've been toying with the idea of making smaller boxes for the carts that are replicas of the original boxes, only scaled down to just fit the thickness of the cartridge. It'd have the advantage of fitting on a standard sheet of A4 paper as well, with some clever layout, I reckon. If I do decided to go this route I'll post pictures of whatever the results may be.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:54 AM, Zefrem23 said:

I've been toying with the idea of making smaller boxes for the carts that are replicas of the original boxes, only scaled down to just fit the thickness of the cartridge.

So yeah, the experiment wasn't successful. The size the box needs to be when scaled down to fit an A4 is literally 1-2mm too small to accommodate the cartridge comfortably, making the sides bow out.

IMG_20210606_090112.webp IMG_20210606_090050.webp

The best two things you need for repro boxes and in cardboard are:

A friend that is a graphic designer

A friend at a print company 

Template (cutter guide) is first and when that is perfect it's time to drop in or create the high res artwork.

A friend and I made one ultra rare Sega Saturn box and one ultra rare Game Gear box. 

Sadly, apart from a few AMAZING dreamcast repros that look genuine even down to the finish this is all we did as she got a new job with no free time and my friend at the print company left too.

But, here is an example of what can be done. These games can have their boxes once again. Its just down to who you know.