IGNORED

Taito Egret II mini

It seems Taito announced this:

https://www.taito.co.jp/egret2mini

Looks like Taito saw Sega's Astro City Mini and decided to do the same thing but with their Egret II cabinet. You can rotate the screen for vertical games, which is mildly interesting. It's really expensive, though. I will wait until they reveal all of the games to see if I want one.

• Like 1

I posted an all-singing all-dancing overview here:

But it certainly deserves a thread of its own!

Regarding “expensive”… it is, but also a complete boxed copy of Liquid Kids for the PC Engine alone will set you back as much as the bundle without the arcade stick. As long as the emulation is decent, I’m 100% in.

• Like 1

The unit itself is not much more expensive than the Astro City Mini, but when you add the controllers (and I wanted to get at least an extra controller and the paddle one with extra games), you get above the $300 bar very fast (with shipping and import taxes). ?

The games lineup looks a lot like the Taito PS2 compilations, which is nice since I would buy one for Elevator Action Returns alone. ?

• Like 2

I am an avid mini arcade collector,I love a lot of Taito games, I definitely like retro game compilations of all varieties so  I will certainly acquire one of these if it is easily attainable from Limited Run games,Play Asia or anyone else who can sell me one in the US.

Very cool looking item!??

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Amazon.co.jp is very easy and cheap if you get a preorder in.

I did not know that,though I should of by now! Thanks for the help.?

I am going to be on board for this mini system for certain,though I probably wont buy a couple of hundred dollars worth of accessories for it.

But it looks great and I love my Astro City mini as well as my Replicades from New Wave Toys,SNES and NES mini etc.

Now is not the time for me to stop collecting! ?

I will keep an eye out here to find out when a preorder is happening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

SLG = don't be surprised if you're still waiting for it 2 years from now.

Honestly, I'm not really sure if I will get this thing. It's not too bad if you just want the system itself, but with the prices of the controllers needed to play all of the games, this thing gets very expensive. There are a lot of nice games on there, but I don't think I have that kind of cash right now.

• Like 2

I did some research and it seems this thing might have a fair amount of input lag, so be warned. Astro City Mini has just enough lag to make Thunder Force AC feel relatively sluggish compared to Saturn, Switch, and the original PCB, but still perfectly playable. If the lag here is around the level of lag on the Astro City Mini, I suppose it won't be too bad.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go with a full unboxing and in-depth review of the Taito Egret II Mini recorded at 60fps

Time Code:
00:00 - Opening
00:34 - Unboxing
07:14 - The screen
12:54 - Close up look at the screen
14:49 - The options
17:52 - On the big screen
26:54 - Tate mode with filters
30:43 - The conclusion
33:00 - Just one more game

• Thanks 2

None of the review I have seen yet had mentioned input lag.    I really like the third bubble bobble game, it's probably what I play the most on my real f3 board.    From clips it looks like it runs pretty well, it's pretty much unplayable on all my emulation handhelds and my at games legend.    I did already pre-order one from stictly limited, looks like it's already been hacked and is essentially the same hardware as the Sega mini arcades.

• Like 2

I got my Taito Egret II mini today. I haven't connected it to my TV yet, but I played with the embedded joystick, a wired controller, and the paddle controller, and didn't notice any input lag (except that the menu button on the paddle controller is not very responsive for some reason, but it's not lag afaik, more like bad contact). I just tried a few games, of course, but I played Elevator Action Returns which is one of the most recent games and could have featured input lag. Now I've never been very sensitive to it, but I usually notice it when it's really bad.

So if there's significant input lag, I guess it's in TV mode and people could use bad settings (which would be sad coming from retrogamers, but who knows).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I got my Taito Egret II mini today. I haven't connected it to my TV yet, but I played with the embedded joystick, a wired controller, and the paddle controller, and didn't notice any input lag (except that the menu button on the paddle controller is not very responsive for some reason, but it's not lag afaik, more like bad contact). I just tried a few games, of course, but I played Elevator Action Returns which is one of the most recent games and could have featured input lag. Now I've never been very sensitive to it, but I usually notice it when it's really bad.

So if there's significant input lag, I guess it's in TV mode and people could use bad settings (which would be sad coming from retrogamers, but who knows).

Please come back and let us know your thoughts after you play it on your TV,especially if you have any settings recommendations for guys like myself that may need a little guidance. 

I would definitely appreciate that!?

I just got back into town and am going to open mine tonight.

I got the deluxe set with the trackball and other controllers,and my initial impression is: the box it came In is HUGE!?

• Like 1

Some people don't realise they need to put their tv in "game mode" or similar. Some auto detect but others don't. I thought my Xbox One S was broken when I first hooked it up to my new TV 3 years ago, either that or I was very drunk! Game mode fixed it straight away

• Like 2