IGNORED

C128 dead VDC? (hate it when that happens)

leech

So I just did something stupid.  I ordered one of SaruMan's VDC 64k upgrades, and sort of did the upgrade in a hurry earlier today, and then powered it on just now and got a black screen from 40 column mode and got nothing out of the RGBi side of things in 80 column mode.

Well, realized that the socket looks like the notch is on the wrong side.  So I apparently put the chip combo in upside down... unfortunately when I reversed it and just put the VDC back in without the upgrade, the same thing happend.  And also with the upgrade in...

So did I just fry the VDC?  Did I fry the SaruMan Upgrade?  Maybe other components in the C128?

26 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Are you sure no pins are bent or snapped? I checked the pinouts and found nothing that should fry anything. I couldn’t find schematics for the VRAM upgrade device that you mentioned. 

I can check again, but pretty sure it's in the socket nice and tight.

It is one of these, if this helps.  http://www.melon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9020 

Thanks, but we’ll need the schematics to see what exactly might have gone wrong by plugging the thing in backwards. However, I am unsure if a dead VDC or directly related component should result in any difference in 40 column mode. You could try removing the VDC and RAM upgrade altogether and trying 40 column mode. If it works, the VDC is probably fried. 

Edited by bluejay

7 hours ago, bluejay said:

Thanks, but we’ll need the schematics to see what exactly might have gone wrong by plugging the thing in backwards. However, I am unsure if a dead VDC or directly related component should result in any difference in 40 column mode. You could try removing the VDC and RAM upgrade altogether and trying 40 column mode. If it works, the VDC is probably fried. 

Okay, what the hell?  So I did put it in right the first time?  The printing on the PCB shows the indent on the top where all other chips are on the bottom (pointing toward the front of the machine).  So maybe I originally did not mess up, and the ram board was bad.  It looks differently to the link I posted.

It does boot with the chip pulled in 40 column mode.

20210605_100436.jpg

20210605_100750.jpg

20210605_100817.jpg