IGNORED

Power issue while repairing a GBA

MrBungler

This is a cross post from the Official GB Thread

Hey all,

First post in here so I apologize in advance if I am doing this incorrectly.  I am having issues getting an old GBA to turn on.  I started refreshing some old GBAs to give them a second life for friends and family.  I picked up a bunch in an overseas auction recently and I am down to two that I can't get to turn on.  This one in particular is driving me mad.  This unit has battery corrosion.  It was not horrible but it did get all over the board even up to the button contacts.  I cleaned up the corrosion pretty well but, when I try to turn it on I get a quick flash of green on the power LED and sometimes a crackle from the speaker.  Here is what I have done so far:

Looked all over the board for an obvious short

Checked the fuse

Cleaned the power switch with alcohol

Replaced the power switch with a Helder switch

Decided I must have messed up the Helder switch and removed it to just jump the connection for constant power.

Replaced the 4 caps

All of these steps have resulted in the exact same outcome, a quick flash of green on the LED, maybe a sound from the speaker then nothing.  Any ideas?