IGNORED

WinCupl for programming GALs, no longer available?

Sprybug

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a hardware project that requires some address decoding and I was going to use a GAL to do the decoding.  I ended up purchasing some GAL16v8's because it's all I need.  It's really just some simple decoding, and thought it would be better to go this route instead of using 3 or 4 74 series logic chips to do it.  Easier to have it all in one package.  I already have an EPROM programmers that's capable of programming GALs, so I went to get some software to be able to create a JEDEC file.  This is where I start running into problems.  All signs seem to lead that I should get WinCupl for the task, but it doesn't seem like it's available any longer.  I went to Microchip's site to get it.  They have the page where you can download it.  You click it and nothing happens.  I've looked all over the web for an alternative download, and I can't find one.  I'm kind of stuck at the moment.  Does anyone happen to have a copy or know where an active link to WinCupl is?  Any help would be great, thank you!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, emerson said:

The link below might work. Also attached is my file for the intellivision rgb mod I designed as a template for you to work from. WinCupl is annoyingly strict, so good luck.

https://pcwin.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/WinCupl/download.htm

wincpul_template.pld 2.13 kB · 1 download

Thanks, but I tried that one last night.  It just links to the original place.  There's another one I found that does the same thing too.  I find it odd, how difficult it is to find a program to develop the logic for a JEDEC file to program a GAL with, when people still use them.  Thanks for the template though.  If I ever get my hands on WinCupl, I'll be sure to take a look at it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Go to the Microchip website: https://www.microchip.com/en-us/products/fpgas-and-plds/spld-cplds/pld-design-resources#

Right click on the "Download WinCUPL" button, and copy the link.

Open a new browser tab, paste, and press enter.

Let me know if that doesn't work... I just downloaded it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That did it!  So, their site is broken! XD

Thank you so much, I hope people trying to get this program find this thread so they'll be able to get it and not go insane trying to find it somewhere else!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote my own a long time ago because I was unimpressed by all the binary-only DOS-only releases. It's not the same syntax as CUPL, but it's more than good enough for getting a chip working. I have some example files in the test sub-directory which I had used for 7800 and Colecovision bank switching.

http://xi6.com/files/palwiz-1.2.2.zip

• 5 months later...

I'm not an Atari (or any other gamer) guy, but came here by accident while trying to get the

answer to some CUPL questions, and thought I'd offer an answer.

My suggestion would be that you find a copy of the original DOS CUPL (3.2b was the last

version, afaIk).  Unlike the Microchip (Atmel) version you ran across, it actually supports a

broad range of parts from other manufacturers.  And running old DOS software isn't the

hardest thing in the world.