IGNORED

Which accessories and Combat cart are "correct" for factory reconditioned Heavy Sixer?

classicgamesnut

So a few years back, I happened on a near-complete and boxed Heavy Sixer for $40 in a pawn shop.  Needless to say, I jumped on it.  Still has the Sunnyvale sticker on the bottom as well as a "FACTORY RECONDITIONED" sticker.  Something I've not been able to find out, though, is what accessories and other items were routinely replaced as part of the factory reconditioning process.  The paddles in the box are of the later variety, with the crossed tennis rackets.  Didn't the original Heavy Sixer paddles have just an Atari logo on them?  Also, there was indeed a gatefold boxed "Combat" cart in the package, with the red lower-case text only label, but it does NOT say "01" on the label, which also doesn't seem right.

Were these items in question replaced by the original owner, or as part of the reconditioning procedure?  Or are they correct for late-run Heavy Sixers?

17 hours ago, classicgamesnut said:

The paddles in the box are of the later variety, with the crossed tennis rackets.  Didn't the original Heavy Sixer paddles have just an Atari logo on them?

All paddle controllers have the racquets on them; the earlier ones have an Atari emblem (or "Sears") printed next to them, while the regular ones say "paddle."

There was actually quite a bit of cross-pollination with heavy sixer and light sixer components as Atari transitioned to the L6 and used up H6 parts, controllers, power supplies, boards, cases, 01 Combats, manuals, and so on. Systems (both heavy and light) with "incorrect" controllers, Combats, or paraphernalia--and even "frankensixer" systems, combining H6 and L6 boards and cases--were not that uncommon.

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

There was actually quite a bit of cross-pollination with heavy sixer and light sixer components as Atari transitioned to the L6 and used up H6 parts,

Yep. This is probably what led to the Sunnyvale light sixer that's a part of my collection. I don't know what a "Factory Reconditioned" H6er would have come with, but for my collection I've purchased sets of paddles, driving controllers, CX-10s and power adaptors to "complete" my consoles. I also have a gatefold "01" CIB Combat in addition to my lose copy pictured below.

Atari Heavy Setup.jpg

Atari Driving.jpg

Atari H6 Paddles.jpg

SEARS Driving.jpg

SEARS Paddle.jpg

Atari H6 PA.jpg

Atari H6 PA Back.jpg

Thanks for the info.  The serial # is 98208 J, which would put it pretty late in the run.  With that in mind, maybe the accessories in the box are "correct" after all, even the non-01 labeled Combat in the gatefold box.  For $40, I have no complaints at all.

On the same subject, does anyone know what was actually done to returned warranty units during the reconditioning process...some type of standard overhaul, or an individual case-by-case troubleshooting and repair?