Retrospect

Arcade HunchBack

Bare-nuts roasting over an open fire🔥
Someone keeps ripping-off my clothes👘👙
Those aren't yuletide carols or:music:
Folks dressed up like Eskimos!🧥

:evil:

• Like 1

The project is still ongoing.  I noticed something about the arcade version.  The little soldier guy who climbs the wall and walks across the top, he's not just there to stop people from hanging around .... it's a form of score system.  The further away he is from you , the more points you get.  I never knew this.

Funny thing is I once made an hunchback clone where you raced a Witch on a broomstick flying through the clouds for bonus points with the very same idea.  Except the Witch wouldn't kill you.

I'm doing a re-write of the code to ensure I have enough memory to get done what needs to be done. I dearly hope to be able to include the soldier climbing the wall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Another thing I've found, is that I will save a heck of a lot of memory if the player sprite only faces one way.  Can walk left and right, jump left and right but only facing one way.  So you kind of "jump back".  I didn't want to make any sacrifices initially, but when looking at the arcade version of Hunch Back even something like that, if to get it arcade-perfect, would be very ambitious for the TI99.  

Also to note; the game is almost certainly going to need F18A on real hardware, and for emulators Classic99 with "flicker off" and JS99er set to F18A.  I don't know what people with Mame are gonna do unless there's some F18a emulation in Mame.  This is due to my need for more than 4 sprites in a row at certain times also if player faces only one way, i can most likely have him with multiple sprites instead of one.

• Like 1