IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, SIDE2, SIDE3, 1088XEL/XLD Firmware 4.0 Released

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

Can you clarify what is going on with that? And is it something that end-uses will be able to apply to their boards? I have a CPLD removal tool and TL866 … :)

You're going to need a Xilinx platform cable, unfortunately. But it's easy enough once the cable is done.

I'm still trying to provide Candle with data which might explain why the new JED causes periodic config reading errors on my 800. Once that's resolved, I guess we're good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candle said:

every board i've assembled

Sure thing (as I have several from those two batches). Plenty of yours out-there.

But not some of latest production, including the last one I bought, for instance. I remember sending out some JTAG headers to other folks out-there, so they could be added.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:59 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Of course. Any project not subject to maintenance updates is a dead project. Even the most toweringly talented coders on the scene (such as Avery Lee) have to fix bugs in their stuff.

The important thing is finding the issues, which I am extremely good at doing immediately after releasing the update. :D

There's a theorem that every program has at least one bug, and that every program can be optimized by at least one instruction.

Therefore, by extrapolation, every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work!  ?

• Haha 8

Finally (loosely) installed my PokeyMAX 2 in the Incognito 800 today to test plugins:

IMG_20210619_160821904.thumb.jpg.d1ee22ed596974f52d8e98d173c55b99.jpgIMG_20210619_161013303.thumb.jpg.81556b9e146891d491469d5e754f4698.jpg

This needed a fix the other day to get working fully (the released Incognito BIOS was not calling the hardware setup plugin), but since there is a pending update anyway (as previously mentioned), it's an opportune time to roll in fixes for previously untested plugin functionality too.

My eyesight completely gave up the ghost yesterday (following a very bad night's sleep on Thursday) while I was soldering wires to the RTC chip to try and get scope readings of failed NVRAM reads for Candle to diagnose, but hopefully we'll get the last quirk ironed out soon enough. I'll try Sophia 2 as well if I can work up the energy to borrow it out of my 1088XEL; I can't install VBXE yet until I get one of the new adapters, although since Incognito has no VB signal, VBXE detection will be purely cosmetic (although you do get the NTSC palette setting).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

Sorry for being off topic and late to the game, but there is a XEX: 

It works from the SIDE loader on my 1088XEL with XEL-CF3.

Thanks, hadn't seen that ! It works great with Side3. I don't mind the limitations, I can race :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Another SIDE3 loader update, you're on a roll FJC!

I like to fix bugs as quickly as possible, but I'm working on the new features previously mentioned (auto-mounting carts, FAT writes, etc).

Main BIOS update coming soon as well; this fixes the 'restore defaults' bug which crashes the Incognito setup menu. There seems to be little point in waiting until the new JED is debugged and ready for release.

• Like 2

Just now, Frankie said:

What does it mean when your 800 XL with, among other things, a PokeyMAX shows inverse "dddddddd" in the Ultimate Bios on the PokeyMAX line?

It means it didn't manage to read the PokeyMAX firmware build correctly. What PokeyMAX board and core version do you have?

Just now, flashjazzcat said:

It means it didn't manage to read the PokeyMAX firmware build correctly. What PokeyMAX board and core version do you have?

I disconnected the control line from the PokeyMAX to the 1UMB and now it reads correctly (111M02SU)

9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I disconnected the control line from the PokeyMAX to the 1UMB and now it reads correctly (111M02SU)

The PokeyMAX plugin is not intended for the core which implements stereo control via the U1MB 'M0' signal. Use the stereo plugin or update the core on your PokeyMAX to one which implements software control.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, Faicuai said:

Sure thing (as I have several from those two batches). Plenty of yours out-there.

But not some of latest production, including the last one I bought, for instance. I remember sending out some JTAG headers to other folks out-there, so they could be added.

I have one that has no JTAG header. What size is it? All the one I can find are 2.54mm and that's too big. 

Edited by Frankie

50 minutes ago, Frankie said:

What size is it?

Here, this is the right type (IDC, 10-pin, double-row, 2.0mm pitch):

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Pcs-Pitch-Double-Headers/dp/B00899WOM6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=straight+idc+2.0mm+10+pin&qid=1625664328&sr=8-3

(sorry, I ran out and distributed all the ones I had remaining, back then)

Preparing programming cable will not be trivial, as you will need to adapt pitch from 2.0mm (Incognito-end) to 2.4mm (programmer's end), and that requires a special type of jumpers (can be bought off the shelf, as well).

16 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Here, this is the right type (IDC, 10-pin, double-row, 2.0mm pitch):

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Pcs-Pitch-Double-Headers/dp/B00899WOM6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=straight+idc+2.0mm+10+pin&qid=1625664328&sr=8-3

(sorry, I ran out and distributed all the ones I had remaining, back then)

Preparing programming cable will not be trivial, as you will need to adapt pitch from 2.0mm (Incognito-end) to 2.4mm (programmer's end), and that requires a special type of jumpers (can be bought off the shelf, as well).

I have the cable and programmer.