IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, SIDE2, SIDE3, 1088XEL/XLD Firmware 4.0 Released

19 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

You should have SDX enabled in U1MB, there should be no option for loader mode on SIDE3.

That would mean there's SDX enabled in U1MB config and additionally SDX mode on SIDE3, so two Spartas enabled theoretically?

Why there should be no optiom since it's just a switch on SIDE3? ;)

3 minutes ago, Jacques said:

That would mean there's SDX enabled in U1MB config and additionally SDX mode on SIDE3, so two Spartas enabled theoretically?

Why there should be no optiom since it's just a switch on SIDE3? ;)

No, with PBI BIOS enabled and hard drive enabled, the SIDE3 should become effectively the PBI HDD with SDX on the CAR: device. You can still access the loader via the U1MB menu or by holding 'L' on boot.

But it works as such (PBI HDD) in either mode set on SIDE3 switch if PBI BIOS is enabled in U1MB :)

U1MB's loader can be still accessed by L, or additionally with PBI=OFF, Atari boots to SIDE3 loader.

It's rather confusing why in SIDE3 SDX mode, the SDX in U1MB should be enabled additionally?

3 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Did you reflash your Plugins after updating? You may not have the SIDE3 plugin loaded?

Sure, I've flashed U1MBS3FW and U1MB cooperates with SIDE3 in regard to loader and PBI.

It's just funny, that either setting of the switch on SIDE3 can get you to pretty much the same functionality, that's why I asked which SDX to use U1MB's (u1MB config) or SIDE3 (via switch) ;)

4 minutes ago, Jacques said:

But it works as such (PBI HDD) in either mode set on SIDE3 switch if PBI BIOS is enabled in U1MB :)

U1MB's loader can be still accessed by L, or additionally with PBI=OFF, Atari boots to SIDE3 loader.

It's rather confusing why in SIDE3 SDX mode, the SDX in U1MB should be enabled additionally?

The switch should be in the downwards position when used with U1MB. That's how I use it (and I'm sure everyone else). I understand your confusion now.

You don't want to use SIDE3 as a stand alone device with U1MB fitted. For one thing, you won't be able to set up a custom config.sys.

Edited by Mazzspeed

1 minute ago, Mazzspeed said:

You don't want to use SIDE3 as a stand alone device with U1MB fitted.

That's a good point, thank you. Still quite funny how it can work both ways.

How about running SIDE3CLK.SYS, please? Does it work for you when you as a test run SDX of SIDE3 (U1MB's SDX disabled)?

12 minutes ago, Jacques said:

That's a good point, thank you. Still quite funny how it can work both ways.

How about running SIDE3CLK.SYS, please? Does it work for you when you as a test run SDX of SIDE3 (U1MB's SDX disabled)?

Where are you getting that system file from? It's not on the CAR: device? I don't know if it's even part of SDX anymore?

It is on CAR: device of SIDE3's SDX I have (4.49E dated autumn 2020, iirc.).

Btw. when SIDE3 is in SDX mode working with U1MB, is it normal to have green LED almost constantly being ON? (blinks only on HDD access, but so does the RED one ;) ).

Edited by Jacques

2 minutes ago, Jacques said:

It is on CAR: device of SIDE3's SDX I have (4.49E dated autumn 2020, iirc.).

Btw. when SIDE3 is in SDX mode working with U1MB, is it normal to have green LED almost constantly being ON? (blinks only on HDD access, but so does the RED one ;) ).

I see, that driver is present when running SIDE3 with the switch upwards with SDX disabled in the U1MB menu and PBI BIOS disabled.

If I try to run SIDE3CLK.SYS I get the same error. I don't know whether that driver is needed anymore, FJC would be best to answer that one. I don't have the green LED almost always on when using my device, although I never use my SIDE3 with the switch in the upwards position.

4 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I don't have the green LED almost always on when using my device, although I never use my SIDE3 with the switch in the upwards position.

For me it was green LED on in SDX mode (switch set downwards), but I'll test more this evening.

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

It's just funny, that either setting of the switch on SIDE3 can get you to pretty much the same functionality, that's why I asked which SDX to use U1MB's (u1MB config) or SIDE3 (via switch) ;)

When the U1MB PBI HDD is enabled, the position of the SIDE3 switch is essentially ignored. The cart's SDX ROM will never boot since the cart ROMs are managed by U1MB in this context. Simple as that. ;)

34 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

If I try to run SIDE3CLK.SYS I get the same error. I don't know whether that driver is needed anymore, FJC would be best to answer that one. I don't have the green LED almost always on when using my device, although I never use my SIDE3 with the switch in the upwards position.

Now that I look (for the first time in some weeks), I see that in 'stand-alone' mode, the SDX SIDE3CLK.SYS driver is producing strange results here too. When I booted SDX from the SIDE3 cart and typed 'DATE', the returned date was completely wrong and any attempt to correct it at the command prompt was unsuccessful. I then started the loader and checked the date and time there: everything was correct.

Perhaps there is some lingering discrepancy between the loader and clock driver handling. I will have to ask @trub about this.

As for SIDE3CLK.SYS being 'needed': it's needed by the SDX ROM on the cartridge. The driver will never be used in other situations (i.e. using SIDE3 on an U1MB machine with the PBI HDD turned on). The only other thing which currently uses the RTC on the cartridge is the SIDE3 loader. It stores its configuration in the RTC NVRAM, and maintains the date/time there. This real time clock will be used to time-stamp FAT files when the loader has FAT write capabilities.

47 minutes ago, Jacques said:

when SIDE3 is in SDX mode working with U1MB, is it normal to have green LED almost constantly being ON?

No, that's not normal. Certainly the U1MB firmware and the SIDE3 loader make every effort to ensure the green LED is disabled. I cannot speak for SDX, etc.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Now that I look (for the first time in some weeks), I see that in 'stand-alone' mode, the SDX SIDE3CLK.SYS driver is producing strange results here too. When I booted SDX from the SIDE3 cart and typed 'DATE', the returned date was completely wrong and any attempt to correct it at the command prompt was unsuccessful. I then started the loader and checked the date and time there: everything was correct.

Perhaps there is some lingering discrepancy between the loader and clock driver handling. I will have to ask @trub about this.

Ah, there you go, the plot thickens? How interesting.

Good job picking it up Jacques, I guess. Poor FJC...

4 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Good job picking it up Jacques, I guess. Poor FJC...

Yeah, "sorry" for that ;)

It was kind of suspicious that I was always getting date like 7-10-20 (or similiar) under standalone SDX of SIDE3 without any success to change it.

Will need to check green LED this evening, as it concerns me a bit, now...

5 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Yeah, "sorry" for that ;)

It was kind of suspicious that I was always getting date like 7-10-20 (or similiar) under standalone SDX of SIDE3 without any success to change it.

Will need to check green LED this evening, as it concerns me a bit, now...

What position is your switch in? When using SIDE3 with U1MB it should be down.

44 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

What position is your switch in? When using SIDE3 with U1MB it should be down.

Pragmatically, it should be in the 'up' position, but - as mentioned - it doesn't matter in practice (or shouldn't, at least).

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

Poor FJC...

Clock works fine in the loader. :) I just worry that if the loader got first dibs at initialising the clock, it did so in a way that the SDX RTC driver subsequently has a problem with. A good way of figuring this out would be to remove the battery in the cartridge, put it back, and then boot directly into SDX to see if the clock then works properly in DOS.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I performed the test described above (booting straight into SDX after pulling the battery and putting it back, to completely clear the RTC), and the SIDE3CLK.SYS driver reports 'SIDE3 clock not present!'. This issue cannot be caused by the loader initialiasing the RTC, since the loader had at no point executed since the battery was reinserted.

I then went to the loader (which detected and reset the RTC without problems), set the date and time, and booted into SDX again. It still failed to detect the RTC. I will speak to Trub about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Pragmatically, it should be in the 'up' position, but - as mentioned - it doesn't matter in practice (or shouldn't, at least).

Really? If the upper position is loader mode, and the lower position is SDX mode, what's the difference when PBI BIOS and SDX is enabled in U1MB FJC? Genuinely curious now.

1 minute ago, Mazzspeed said:

If the upper position is loader mode, and the lower position is SDX mode, what's the difference when PBI BIOS and SDX is enabled in U1MB FJC?

By design, there is none. If you have things configured as described and type 'COLD /N' at the SDX prompt, machine will boot to BASIC since the U1MB turned off all the ROM on the SIDE3 cart, regardless of what position the switch is in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

By design, there is none. If you have things configured as described and type 'COLD /N' at the SDX prompt, machine will boot to BASIC since the U1MB turned off all the ROM on the SIDE3 cart, regardless of what position the switch is in.

OK, fair enough. I use COLD /N to boot into FujiNet. Having said that, it's rare I boot into FujiNet, I really only use it for it's R: device. It's actually a really good modem.

@flashjazzcat

I've noticed one more, although rather cosmetic issue in Loader when using U1MB+SIDE3 with PBI BIOS enabled to mount ATR.

The ATR title was long enough that it was side-scrolling back and forth on drives mountlist in loader (slot D1). After that i went for the option "Unmount all ATRs" so D1 presented "HDD" again, but on its right side, the some letters from name of previouslu mounted ATR were left scrolling ;)

No big deal, just to let you know.

Edited by Jacques
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jacques said:

The ATR title was long enough that it was side-scrolling back and forth on drives mountlist in loader (slot D1). After that i went for the option "Unmount all ATRs" so D1 presented "HDD" again, but on its right side, the some letters from name of previouslu mounted ATR were left scrolling ;)

Thanks for that. I'll look into it! :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

I've noticed one more, although rather cosmetic issue in Loader

Please try this and let me know if the issue is reliably fixed:

s3loader.xex

Complete list of changes:

• 'Mounts' menu corruption after 'Undo mounts'
  • Logic of arrow keys in list controls and drive number editor reversed to conform to U1MB main BIOS
  • 'Memory full' error after starting Loader from SDX (via 'CAR') fixed (caused by RAMTOP being set to $80 by CAR command; this is now ignored)
  • Like 1