IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, SIDE2, SIDE3, 1088XEL/XLD Firmware 4.0 Released

9 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

UFLASH clearly thought differently. It checks the firmware revision (apparently only when probing the hardware for the first time, forgetting to do so after a BIOS update) and if it's >=4.0, it expects a 2K plugin. Your photo showed UFLASH expecting a 1K plugin at the older plugin address. I don't know how you managed to accomplish this, but there is no determinate explanation for it other than the scenario I have outlined, or by using an old version of UFLASH which has no knowledge of the 2K plugins.

I was using uflash 3.10, I honestly have no idea where I got it from. That was the problem.

• Like 1

See I really should have read the manual earlier….

still not sure about how to set up HD (only halfway through the manual yet) BUT I did learn how easy it is to switch between profiles ! Until now I was stupidly changing the output setting of S0 to change between NTSC and PAL with AntiX. 
Now I set up two identical profiles, the only difference being the output that controls AntiX being enabled or disabled. I also setup different colours to be able to quickly see what profile I selected.

to my amazement it is now a breeze to switch between PAL and NTSC !

See this video:

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

Today I got my newly bought SIDE3 and I'm experiencing some issues.

1) First of all, there's a random mess when I browse FAT32 card directories. Tested with two SDHC uSD cards: 8GB no name and 32GB SanDisk Extreme: exactly the same behaviour:

1400536189_WhatsAppImage2021-07-14at19_41_47.thumb.jpeg.22d110ae9318b22ac64b7fe590a8d781.jpeg

2) in SDX mode, the date is not saved and 8-07-12 is coming back?

385696808_WhatsAppImage2021-07-14at19_41.47(2).thumb.jpeg.c7567a494cb931fb21a6e826ccdf32bc.jpeg

That is on Atari that has no Ultimate 1MB, byt other 1088KB solution (Pasiu/SSG solution), VBXE, stereo and is in perfect working order and previously experienced no issue when working with SIDE1.

Any clues? Is there a technical issue on my SIDE3, please? Thank you in advance and I'll appreciate some feedback from @lotharek @flashjazzcat

Edited by Jacques

3 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Thank you in advance and I'll appreciate some feedback from @lotharek @flashjazzcat

Catastophic communication problems between the host machine and the cartridge, I think. Directory listings are kept in cartridge SRAM, and something is seriously wrong there. Likewise with SPI communications with the RTC chip.

Just now, Jacques said:

Nothing like this happens with SIDE1 loader, its rtc clock and using all the HDD functionality under SDX... 

Unless you have managed to run the SIDE1/2 Loader on the SIDE3 cartridge or somehow force the DS1305 RTC driver to work with the RTC chip on the SIDE3, this doesn't tell you much. You have two different pieces of software there (the SIDE3 Loader and SpartaDOS X's RTC driver) independently having issues. So, either both pieces of software independently don't work, or you have a hardware issue.

Quick one. With multiple mounted ATRs on SIDE3/U1MB setup, (eg the 3 x ATRs for the Brundles), I mount them as D1/D2/D3 using the CTRL 1/2/3 key respectively which is nice and quick. When I load the game up and am prompted to swap disks I have to use the ATR swap disk button on the top of the SIDE3 because for some reason the documented CTRL+S swap ATRs key combo does nothing. I noticed the key combo quick ref table on page 4 of the generic manual for U1MB. SIDE, Incognito... Loader ref manual and was hoping to be able to use the CTRL+S keycombo to save me dragging my lazy butt over to the XE the other side of my desk to access the SIDE3 all the time. :P (USB keyboard is much nearer me). (Damn I sound lazy!:grin:)

Does CTRL+S work for anyone else on the U1MB+SIDE3 setup?

I should point out that this doesn't work on my XE's own keyboard or my USB keyboard.

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

This works in the loader, as documented. Use the cartridge button in all other contexts.

Doh! Penny just dropped. Sorry - I made the assumption the key combos were coded into the core of the U1MB and SIDE3 Firmwares even outside of the loader and operated in the background. My bad. :roll::D

Quick, and probably stupid, question: I set things up so that the SIDE3 loader loads after boot.

however, if i remove the SIDE3 cartridge, and boot up, the original Side loader is loaded…..would prefer to have it boot normally (trying to boot from floppy) if SIDE3 is removed.

Is this possible ?

I checked SIDE3 loader with another machine (having just U1MB in it) and the messy characters in loader menu are gone. As advised by Lotharek, the 1st machine may require replacing 74LS08 with 74F08 to solve it.

No I have just a question from SDX HDD (flash) user perspective, what's preferrable "every day" mode of using the pair of U1MB + SIDE3:

1) loader mode on SIDE3 + SDX enabled in U1MB

2) SDX mode on SIDE3 + SDX disabled in U1MB

I compared both and can't decide, maybe with an exception that when using SIDE3's SDX mode, it's RTC is not used correctly by SDX, and running SIDE3CLK.SYS gives an error about sth like SIDE 3 RTC not found (although clock perfectly settable and running in loader).

Since I updated SIDE3 loader already, should I update SDX on SIDE3 as well to solve it? The build 4.49e is dated autumn 2020, iirc on my SIDE3.

25 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I checked SIDE3 loader with another machine (having just U1MB in it) and the messy characters in loader menu are gone. As advised by Lotharek, the 1st machine may require replacing 74LS08 with 74F08 to solve it.

No I have just a question from SDX HDD (flash) user perspective, what's preferrable "every day" mode of using the pair of U1MB + SIDE3:

1) loader mode on SIDE3 + SDX enabled in U1MB

2) SDX mode on SIDE3 + SDX disabled in U1MB

I compared both and can't decide, maybe with an exception that when using SIDE3's SDX mode, it's RTC is not used correctly by SDX, and running SIDE3CLK.SYS gives an error about sth like SIDE 3 RTC not found (although clock perfectly settable and running in loader).

Since I updated SIDE3 loader already, should I update SDX on SIDE3 as well to solve it? The build 4.49e is dated autumn 2020, iirc on my SIDE3.

You should have SDX enabled in U1MB, there should be no option for loader mode on SIDE3.

EDIT: Have you got PBI BIOS along with 'Hard Disk' enabled?

Edited by Mazzspeed