IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, SIDE2, SIDE3, 1088XEL/XLD Firmware 4.0 Released

I've released the latest update, which bumps the main U1MB/Incognito BIOS to version 4.05 and fixes the following issues:

• Idle (screensaver) timer not being reset by non-repeating keystrokes
  • Default message delay when using joystick
  • ‘Restore defaults’ crash
  • Failure to run plugin callbacks aligned on page boundaries
  • Missing plugin calls in Incognito BIOS
  • VBXE plugin no longer resets board (fixes screen glitch on 1088XEL/XLD)

Incognito users who already applied the initial v.4.0x release need only update IBIOS.ROM. U1MB users should update their 64K firmware slot and reapply any plugins as desired.

https://atari8.co.uk/u1mb-incognito-1088xel-and-1088xld-firmware-update/

As usual, please report any issues here and I'll do my best to address them ASAP. The main BIOS was quite heavily redesigned for the 4.0 update, and this has been the location of all known bugs so far fixed. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 10

What was the “restore defaults crash” Jon ?

ive had this happen a number of times (defaults being restored) but accounted it to AntiX switching between NTSC and PAL using one of U1MBs control outputs….

also….it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to make the updates bootable ;)

Edited by Level42

24 minutes ago, Level42 said:

What was the “restore defaults crash” Jon ?

This was a stray PRINTF pointer argument with no matching formatting character, resulting in the CPU executing two bytes of junk when it returned from the inline function. As it happened, this created no problem in the prior release of the U1MB firmware as long as the CPU was a 6502C, since the junk executed as benign illegal opcodes. It caused a hard crash in the Incognito firmware, however.

27 minutes ago, Level42 said:

ive had this happen a number of times (defaults being restored) but accounted it to AntiX switching between NTSC and PAL using one of U1MBs control outputs….

Separate issue; the bug related to manually nuking all settings to their defaults. If you're losing the config in other scenarios, you have some other problem.

27 minutes ago, Level42 said:

also….it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to make the updates bootable ;)

To what possible end? SDX needs to be enabled to update anything at all, and SDX never boots from the disk. You could conceivably do a COLD /N first (leaving the SDX banking register exposed, which it isn't when you disable SDX in the firmware menu) and boot some other DOS, but I can't know what DOS the user might wish to use. So no: there is no conceivable reason to make the firmware ATR bootable.

• Like 1

If we talk about Side2 or Side3 then it's possible to upload it by booting the ATR with the firmware from the loader with SDX disabled (switch in the Loader position) and when the flasher starts, moving the switch to SDX position without booting the machine. Works fine. So it may be a reason to make the image bootable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

If we talk about Side2 or Side3 then it's possible to upload it by booting the ATR with the firmware from the loader with SDX disabled (switch in the Loader position) and when the flasher starts, moving the switch to SDX position without booting the machine. Works fine. So it may be a reason to make the image bootable. 

For me the only reason I was using the ATR was I chose the wrong firmware (again) rendering my SIDE3 non-functional in my U1MB Atari.  So I tried to boot the ATR using my SDrive.  Mounting the ATR from the SDrive with SDX and then running UFLASH worked perfectly.  I default to booting ATR's for some reason even when I don't need to.

5 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

The SIDE3 loader update is an XEX, and the SIDE2 loader flashers require SDX enabled on the cartridge. Again: what DOS do you expect on the disk image which requires SpartaDOS X, which boots from a cartridge?

Edited by flashjazzcat

4 minutes ago, Level42 said:

was a bit confused to see the new version being still called 4.0 on the Firmware download page. Shouldn't the name be 4.05 ?

No. All components share the same major revision number. If you look at the PBI BIOS and loader, you'll see they are on v.4.00. Everything is at 4.0x.

Naturally....just kidding Jon......

Hmmm, I seem to have done something stupid trying to flash my U1MB to 4.05.

I copied the FIRMWARE.ATR to my Sd-card and put it in SIDE3 and ran it from there after enabling SpartaDOS. I chose to flash the Firmware and it proceeded OK. 
I can boot and get the U1MB menu, showing 4.05. I did loose control output 2 from the menu somehow but worse: when I run the Loader the screen colour of it has reverted to grey/b/w (default) and the loader claims there's nothing on the SD card ?

Where did stupid me screw up ?

Wrong loader caused by missing S3 plugin. I'll put something in the FAQ about this. Pressing 'L' will always run the internal (SIDE) Loader unless the S3 plugin is installed. People don't notice it doesn't say 'SIDE3 LOADER' at the top of the screen and think the SIDE3 loader is failing to read the SD card, when in fact they're looking at the SIDE Loader failing to find a CF card. :)

• Like 1

Arggh... I feel stupid. 

OK, succeeded in installing the SOS3ST.ROM plugin (using SIO2PC plug and Respect) and now can use SIDE3 again. I think before I used the SOS3P2 plugin but since I have "normal" stereo POKEY and not POKEYmax I figured it would be more appropiate to go with SOS2ST.

However, I now notice a black screen whenever the loader seems to be "starting up", f.i. when I press L from the U1MB menu it takes about 4 seconds, the screen is black and there's no access to SIDE3 according to it's LED. Then the SIDE3 Loader appears and works normally.

When powering up (boot to loader enabled in U1MB) it also gives the black screen for 4 seconds but the SIDE3 LED remains green. After that the LED shows activity (red flashing) and it normally opens the SIDE3 loader screen and works normally.

Maybe should I switch back to SO3P2 plug in anyway, regardless that I don't have Pokeymax ?  I could still switch Stereo just fine under U1MB 4.02

Edited by Level42

4 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Unrelated: I wanted to run the Prozac Dream demo (https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=68622) but the XEX file goes to a black-screen when trying to run it from SIDE3.

Happens both with NTSC or PAL ANTIC selected.

This already happened before I flashed to 4.05.

I ran this demo on my U1mb side3 65XE Pal setup before and after installing 4.05 firmware. Are u running an atr version of the demo or xex? Do you have your  pbi hdd function in U1mb settings enabled just outta interest? 

Also do you generally have a stable system which runs most xexs, atrs? I only ask because if you have any instability you might be looking at other issues like the failing 75sl08 chip issue.

Edited by Beeblebrox

Arggh... I feel stupid. 

So now I'll need to install the plug-in from my Mac using Respect and SIO2PC connector..... okidoki...

4 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I ran this demo on my U1mb side3 65XE Pal setup before and after installing 4.05 firmware. Are u running an atr version of the demo or xex? Do you have your  pbi hdd function in U1mb settings enabled just outta interest? 

Also do you generally have a stable system which runs most xexs, atrs? I only ask because if you have any instability you might be looking at other issues like the failing 75sl08 chip issue.

XEX (that's what you get when you download it from the link I provided). 
PBI HDD is enabled.

Stable ? yeah pretty much.  Noticed Jon mentioning the 75LS08 replacing it be a HFE I think ? Might be good idea to do this anyway ? I have a 600XL will each and every chip socketed so should be a breeze...

17 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Arggh... I feel stupid. 

So now I'll need to install the plug-in from my Mac using Respect and SIO2PC connector..... okidoki...

XEX (that's what you get when you download it from the link I provided). 
PBI HDD is enabled.

Stable ? yeah pretty much.  Noticed Jon mentioning the 75LS08 replacing it be a HFE I think ? Might be good idea to do this anyway ? I have a 600XL will each and every chip socketed so should be a breeze...

The 74F08 chip is dirt cheap and has solved a lot of issues for me. Well worth it, as is running a modern usb 5v 3a power supply. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Level42 said:

However, I now notice a black screen whenever the loader seems to be "starting up", f.i. when I press L from the U1MB menu it takes about 4 seconds, the screen is black and there's no access to SIDE3 according to it's LED. Then the SIDE3 Loader appears and works normally.

Did you update the PBI BIOS as well? If not, you'll have the SIDE/SIDE2 PBI BIOS uselessly polling for the CF card before the loader starts up and before the OS finishes initialising. That'll take 4-5 seconds. ;)

• Like 1