IGNORED

Atari VCS Youtube Haters

Djmicklovin

On 6/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, zzip said:

The VCS is the most powerful and open computer/console that Atari has ever released, so I have no doubt its fans will put it to interesting uses.

To be fair, every subsequent iteration of hardware that Atari has released has been the most powerful.  Nature of the beast.

On another note, it appears as though GameStop has pushed the release date for the VCS and accessories back to July 2nd, but Best Buy is showing them available as of yesterday.  Best Buy is also showing the controllers as sold out, so who knows what's really going on?

Regardless of anyone's opinions of the VCS, ever-changing release dates and information that may or may not have a shred of accuracy to it isn't a good look for the product.  Things like this are what are fuelling YouTubers' (and others') opinions.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Regardless of anyone's opinions of the VCS, ever-changing release dates and information that may or may not have a shred of accuracy to it isn't a good look for the product.  Things like this are what are fuelling YouTubers' (and others') opinions

In a normal world, sure.    But in this world where it is so hard to get a PS5, Xbox Series X, or even a Switch at times,  VCS availability is par for the course.   At least you can order a VCS from some sites for when they become available.   The only way to get a PS5 is to be there right when new stock drops and get your purchase in fast.   Nobody is taking orders for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zzip said:

In a normal world, sure.    But in this world where it is so hard to get a PS5, Xbox Series X, or even a Switch at times,  VCS availability is par for the course.   At least you can order a VCS from some sites for when they become available.   The only way to get a PS5 is to be there right when new stock drops and get your purchase in fast.   Nobody is taking orders for them.

Sure, and I agree with you that at this point in time that may be the case for all of the above.  But looking at the VCS on its own, slipped dates for general availability have been a steady feature of its post-backer-delivery life.  This was an issue before the chip shortage hit consumer and embedded electronics in general.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, Djmicklovin said:

So we all know the Atari VCS hasn’t exactly gotten the warmest welcome from the youtube community. RGT 85, ReviewtechUSA, DreamcastGuy, YongYea, and many others have had some choice words for the new VCS and Atari in general. It has even been shunned among some Atari fans. It has been dubbed as a scam, an OUYA 2, raspberry pi, etc. A lot of it appears to be clickbait in my opinion. That’s how these people make money.  Do you agree with what they’ve said and has the console changed your mind since they started shipping to backers? What are your thoughts on these people? 

I have no idea who any of those people are. 

I have the Atari VCS, and the only problem I have is time. I've bought a bunch of the storefront games, upgraded it, and absolutely love it. They did a fantastic job.

But I just moved, bought a house, sold a house, job transfer, and I'm working towards a law degree and still trying to be a father and husband... so I just haven't had the time to play as much as I would like.

• Like 1

I stopped watching ReviewtechUSA years ago probably around 2019 when he said in a video that the new next gen PS5 console would destroy PC graphics when it comes or something along those lines totally forgetting a PC can be upgraded lol then I clicked on to a video of his a few months back and he was bashing the PS5 lol.. the guy literally doesn’t have a clue honestly I wouldn’t even need to click on to his VCS video to know it would be negative all he’s done since 2018 is put out negative videos about the VCS calling it a scam, saying Atari want it to fail and it’ll be dead on arrival etc. 

• Like 2

I'm disappointed to see that Pat & Ian didn't even both to check their facts at all on the VCS.
It's not different to what most would expect, but I thought they'd read a little more than IGN.

I know the Amico fans in particular hate them, feel that system is singled out for their abuse,
but in reality they've never been any more positive about Atari and the VCS. The only thing
they have to say positive is it's launched, and Ian says he likes the joystick but it's only got
one button so it's rubbish too. The quote IGN, and then Forbes, so it's that level of pathetic.

Here it is. Critics can enjoy, VCS fans can fume, but sadly this drops into "sadly uninformed".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, justclaws said:

I'm disappointed to see that Pat & Ian didn't even both to check their facts at all on the VCS.
It's not different to what most would expect, but I thought they'd read a little more than IGN.

I know the Amico fans in particular hate them, feel that system is singled out for their abuse,
but in reality they've never been any more positive about Atari and the VCS. The only thing
they have to say positive is it's launched, and Ian says he likes the joystick but it's only got
one button so it's rubbish too. The quote IGN, and then Forbes, so it's that level of pathetic.

Here it is. Critics can enjoy, VCS fans can fume, but sadly this drops into "sadly uninformed".

I stopped watching those two idiots years ago, I won't start now...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am not completely familiar with many of the YTers mentioned, but I cannot help but agree with many of the opinions expressed regarding the VCS.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/review/atari-vcs-review/

It’s difficult to know how Atari is going to drastically expand that userbase once the VCS is made available to retailers, because we aren’t entirely sure who the target market is supposed to be.

If you are looking for the nostalgia of the old 2600 or Atari arcade games there are many other cheaper options. The Atari Flashback X, or Stella, or a RaspberryPi, or the multitude of other platforms that the Atari Vault or similar collections have been released on.

As a multimedia device for watching Netflix, Disney+, Prime, Twitch, etc. that can sit next to your TV, I figure a Roku or similar android box would be a better.

Maybe the 10,000 or so backers are happy with their purchase, but I don’t expect the VCS to even match OUYA sales, and it was the most successful niche platform flop I can remember.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just want to say one thing here. The VCS has had a rough road but the Atari name is worth fighting for. It's history and legacy will live on regardless of who's in charge of the company. I backed the VCS because I wanted that name to be restored to it's former glory and be respected again. For the sake of Nolan Bushnell, Ted Dabney, Steve Jobs, Wozniak, and all the other greats. I think it is sad what has happened to what was once a strong and vibrant American company. The company that gave birth to an industry and many big name companies today is now scoffed at and is a shell of it's former self. Those of us that are still here supportive of the VCS just remember that we were the ones down in the trenches with Atari during it's darkest of times. Better and brighter days are ahead and Atari will prevail, but we can look back on these times knowing we helped to make a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, sn8k said:

Might just get the VCS and turn it into an emulation box for 2600/5200/7800/ST/Lynx/Jaguar

There is a version of RetroPi for Linux.  Works fine with Ubuntu.   Once set up the way you want, can have it automatically boot into full screen Emulation Station whch can be run with controller only.  If you choose, not limited to just those systems.

19 minutes ago, rayik said:

There is a version of RetroPi for Linux.  Works fine with Ubuntu.   Once set up the way you want, can have it automatically boot into full screen Emulation Station whch can be run with controller only.  If you choose, not limited to just those systems.

That's f@#$%in awesome. I think the VCS is gorgeous. I think both controllers look bad ass. Just the way Atari handled this thing has been complete bullshit. If I can emulate all of retro Atari..... that is what Ill use it for.

Im also a semi purist...Genesis mini plays Genesis. Neo Geo ASP plays NeoGeo, SNES Classic..... you get the picture. 

Atari VCS 800 will play all Atari from 77-99. 

22 minutes ago, sn8k said:

Only problem is it is a pain in the ass to get. Canada does not have it yet. They keep telling me soon. But soon I'm gonna say screw this and hop the border and physically get one my self.

Please use our Southern Border, it's wide open (DBM).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

As another aside, I really hate the word 'haters' and wish that it had never entered the lexicon in association with video games.

As an aside to your other aside, I agree.  It's one of those words where every time that I read or hear it, the person using it sounds to me as though they have no capacity for nuance and cogent argument.  Their thoughts from that point onward appear predicated on and tainted by intellectual laziness and emotional fervour over the topic at hand.

• Like 4

On 8/2/2021 at 11:46 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

As an aside to your other aside, I agree.  It's one of those words where every time that I read or hear it, the person using it sounds to me as though they have no capacity for nuance and cogent argument.  Their thoughts from that point onward appear predicated on and tainted by intellectual laziness and emotional fervour over the topic at hand.

So then contribute something to the discussion or don't say anything, simple as that. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Yeah! You sound like an individual who irrationally, deeply dislikes something and regularly goes on the internet to gleefully post negative things about a geek culture item or concept, consumed by your passionate and frervent dislike.

Man, I sure wish they'd come up with a single word to sum up that concept, it would be so much easier.

Wait, you hate the word 'hater'? Does that make you.....

A 'hater' hater? Haterception?

But yeah, it's a childish and petty word.

• Haha 4

On 8/2/2021 at 5:42 AM, digdugnate said:

As another aside, I really hate the word 'haters' and wish that it had never entered the lexicon in association with video games.

You must have a vested interest in seeing 'hater' fail, or you feel threatened by it, or you wouldn't have said anything. I love using 'hater' and anyone who disagrees is a poopyhead. It's OK to like 'hater,' it's a hit.

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

So then contribute something to the discussion or don't say anything, simple as that. 

And you're setting such a fine example in that regard, too!

9 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Yeah! You sound like an individual who irrationally, deeply dislikes something and regularly goes on the internet to gleefully post negative things about a geek culture item or concept, consumed by your passionate and frervent dislike.

I hate Atari soooooooo much!  You'd better believe that right now I've got my teeth clenched, fists balled-up, and am jumping up and down in seething rage as steam shoots out of my ears!  It's making it difficult to type on the laptop, but if I hit one or two keys between jumps I'll have this post finished by dinnertime!  Then do you know what I'm going to do?  DO YOU?  I'm going to record my post-prandial rage for my YouTube Channel!  It's a playlist called AtariSuxFatWangLOL and it's nothing but hate on Atari!  Then, once I've done that, we'll have a meeting of the secret Atari Hater Brigade Society and we'll hate on Atari some more!  MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Man, I sure wish they'd come up with a single word to sum up that concept, it would be so much easier.

Wait, you hate the word 'hater'? Does that make you.....

A 'hater' hater? Haterception?

Hatercepticon?  Replihater?  Hatergator?  Imperial Stormhater?

But yeah, it's a childish and petty word.

I'll even go as far as to call it infantile.  Petty is definitely right on the money, though.

8 hours ago, toiletunes said:

You must have a vested interest in seeing 'hater' fail, or you feel threatened by it, or you wouldn't have said anything. I love using 'hater' and anyone who disagrees is a poopyhead. It's OK to like 'hater,' it's a hit.

Not only is 'hater' a hit, but Netflix moms like it too!

• Haha 3

On 8/2/2021 at 5:42 AM, digdugnate said:

Unfortunately anything "videogames" has never been considered high-class.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 5