IGNORED

Atari VCS Youtube Haters

Djmicklovin

11 hours ago, zzip said:

Atari has gone through bankruptcy, they've had to sell-off some of their IPs.   They have a staff of 30 people now give or take.   I'm not sure what kind of miracles they are supposed to perform given those constraints.   Monetizing the brand for aging Gen-Xers seems like the best bet.   They aren't going to be the same kind of company they used to be, that ship has sailed.

While 30 people is not enough to be taking Sony on at their own game, it's still plenty for a small video games company with the right focus. The studios who made recent hits like Hades, Dead Cells, Spiritfarer, etc. were somewhat smaller than that, even.

There are also a few companies who make mini PCs, SBCs and alternative consoles with around that level of staffing. However, again, that's typically the only thing they make.

The problem is rather that they can't do both, and crypto, wearables, hotels and whatever other sidelines they're getting into and expect to do well at any of them.

6 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Now that I've not heard about. Did they actually make any?

Yes, they did. They're not particularly common but they made a number of improvements towards using it for recording music.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/falcon-mkii-c-lab

Here's a brief video of one in action.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Hey I apologize, no hard feelings.

Taken on board on both counts.  More:

I am new here.

And that's fine.  Take the time to learn the culture here; it'll do you better in the long run.

Sometimes I say it like it is and I say how I feel but just take it with a grain of salt.

Saying it like it is is fine.  But say it with respect for the person you're speaking with.  You don't have to agree with them, but they don't have to agree with you either.  Just talk like we were all sitting at the same table.

I have heard way worse things in my military career.

Understood, and I'm not someone who is offended by language. Sticks and stones and all that.

I assume your British by your spelling? You spelled behavior behaviour with a u.

Nope, not British.  Half-Irish, half-American, with family from a surprising number of parts of Europe.  My Godfather was English, though.

I apologize about that.

Apology accepted, and thank you.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Saying it like it is is fine.  But say it with respect for the person you're speaking with.  You don't have to agree with them, but they don't have to agree with you either.  Just talk like we were all sitting at the same table.

I suggest the same for you. Having a different opinion about something isn't disrespecting them. You don't have to do and feel a certain way to gain the acceptance or approval of others either, like a herd a sheep. That's the life lesson people here need to learn. Think independently, have self awareness. If you like a product, you like it. Say how you feel, not what others say you should feel.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Once again you are going off on another tangent. I wasn't talking about Nolan's endorsement of the VCS, it was talking about zzip's statement about Nolan "probably" feeling this way or that way about his old companies. I said why not ask him. Nothing for anyone to get upset about. 

Since you want me to talk about Nolan's "endorsement" though, he gave an actual endorsement to the Nintendo Switch right before it launched, saying that he wanted one, while getting into many more details than he did in 20 seconds on a video filmed 3 years ago about the VCS - which didn't exist as a functioning product yet and hadn't even been funded! That you're claiming that this is an endorsement of a launched product is once again, disingenuous. "It's gorgeous" isn't a reason right now to waste $400 on one. Let us know when he's actually used the product and can give us an honest analysis of an on-the-market product instead of offering up a gut reaction on a prop.

And lol at you claiming you're the definition of civility. Go find some self-awareness then get back to us on that. 

Does that look like three years ago to you? We literally just showed you him using it. Say what you want about the current Atari but they do try to do the man some justice and keep him involved. He wouldn't go out of his way visiting the Atari office and saying nice things about the product if he thought they were undeserving of the Atari name.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Since you want me to talk about Nolan's "endorsement" though, he gave an actual endorsement to the Nintendo Switch right before it launched,

I think my favorite part of that article is what everyone's pal, Trip Hawkins said...

"I think the Switch is going to disappoint. . . . The Switch is 300 bucks, and that’s not a toy price. That’s a media platform price. And they can’t win that game, even with proprietary, you know, killer apps. I just think that they have to have more modest expectations when they’re in the hardware business, that if they have a low enough price point, maybe they can get the 20 million units sold and it’s going to be a very successful toy for them."

It does appear that Nolan was better at evaluating the game market than Trip. Heh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Matt_B said:

The problem is rather that they can't do both, and crypto, wearables, hotels and whatever other sidelines they're getting into and expect to do well at any of them.

I disagree. These kind of things have a very high return on investment for them, and brings in money which they can use to make video games. They should be more honest in the marketing of these things, though, as I think it costs them more to misrepresent, in the long run in the form of a weakened brand, than they make in extra short term profit.

As for these things taking too much focus off the ball, that is a valid point. But if they have dedicated teams to the different areas of operation, that shouldn´t be a big problem, and that is largely the way they are organized now.

And they have done well in crypto, wearables, hotels (large upfront payment) and more. The only considerable financial flop I know of is the VCS (way too high costs).

4 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Say what you want about the current Atari but they do try to do the man some justice and keep him involved. He wouldn't go out of his way visiting the Atari office and saying nice things about the product if he thought they were undeserving of the Atari name.

He even joined their board of directors in 2010. I don´t know how long he was there.

I think that the AtariOS side of the project was way too ambitious. If they had focused on the strengths of their new stuff - the controllers and a mini PC is a really cool case, I think that would have possibly been more effective.

Release the new classic controller and update the Atari Vault and Missile Command Recharged on Steam to take advantage of it. And then make 4K editions of other classic games.

They haven’t shown that they can regularly release games for any existing platform. The thought that they could generate enough compelling content for their own proprietary marketplace seems very unrealistic. Maybe they could have just tried to put a nice couch interface on Linux for Steam use and ensured all their software was available for Linux. Or preinstall Windows.

I also would like to see them release more of their other classic platform games on Steam. They’ve licensed Lynx and 7800 content to others. Why is that stuff not available in a Vault pack? And why have they never done any 8-bit computer stuff outside the 5200?

Regarding team size, I think Playdate, Evercade and the C64 systems are all examples of small teams that have put out products that have probably been more successful than the VCS.

These thoughts are coming from someone who thought the iMac and iPod would not do well, though, so I obviously don’t have the best mind for business strategy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Does that look like three years ago to you? We literally just showed you him using it. Say what you want about the current Atari but they do try to do the man some justice and keep him involved. He wouldn't go out of his way visiting the Atari office and saying nice things about the product if he thought they were undeserving of the Atari name.

Wow, your competency knows no bounds. My reaction was based on you gloating of his non-endorsement from a whole two pages ago. You know, the one that you proclaimed was his grand endorsement? Let me help you remember:

image.thumb.png.3eae7829fa04460d7f450d2f3468321b.png

As the description of the video itself says, that was three years ago. 

As for this recent Instagram video, this also isn't an endorsement. It's just him talking about a game that he had nothing to do with (he left Atari 3 years before Tempest was released) and playing it on the VCS for a moment. If he had other glowing things to actually say about the VCS, I wonder why Atari didn't share that?

Keep grasping at those straws big fella! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

As the description of the video itself says, that was three years ago. 

As for this recent Instagram video, this also isn't an endorsement. It's just him talking about a game that he had nothing to do with (he left Atari 3 years before Tempest was released) and playing it on the VCS for a moment. If he had other glowing things to actually say about the VCS, I wonder why Atari didn't share that?

Keep grasping at those straws big fella!

Stay mad lol, he doesn't have to say glowing things for an endorsement. Actions speak louder than words. He willingly showed up at the Atari HQ. You're just a desperate troll at this point grasping at straws. Stop responding to this thread and just let it go. Take a hint like everyone else and find something better to do with your life.

Just now, Djmicklovin said:

Stay mad lol, he doesn't have to say glowing things for an endorsement. Actions speak louder than words. He willingly showed up at the Atari HQ. 

Oh yeah, just showing up and talking about something else is totally an endorsement. ? VCS sales will begin to skyrocket at any moment now!

giphy.gif

You're just a desperate troll at this point grasping at straws. Stop responding to this thread and just let it go. Take a hint like everyone else and find something better to do with your life.

Rofl that proving you wrong over and over again is "trolling." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toiletunes said:

I went to Big Lots yesterday, they sent me a $5 coupon. It was nice to see Halloween stuff out.

Internet reaction: "OMG toiletunes endorses Big Lots L@@K ! ! !"

Why am I not surprised that a guy with the name "toiletunes" shops at a place like Big Lots? And in the clearance section! ?

11 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I disagree. These kind of things have a very high return on investment for them, and brings in money which they can use to make video games. They should be more honest in the marketing of these things, though, as I think it costs them more to misrepresent, in the long run in the form of a weakened brand, than they make in extra short term profit.

As for these things taking too much focus off the ball, that is a valid point. But if they have dedicated teams to the different areas of operation, that shouldn´t be a big problem, and that is largely the way they are organized now.

And they have done well in crypto, wearables, hotels (large upfront payment) and more. The only considerable financial flop I know of is the VCS (way too high costs).

Yeah, they're making such fantastic games with all that money, aren't they? ?

And come on, the wearable and hotels are not success stories. There are none of the latter being built so far as I can tell, and the only thing in the former category that seems to have made it to market is the speaker hat. While these ventures might have lost other people's money than Atari's they're still going to stick out like red flags to any potential future partners that Atari may attempt do a license deal with. That's what I mean when I say it hurts the brand.

1 hour ago, toiletunes said:

I went to Big Lots yesterday, they sent me a $5 coupon. It was nice to see Halloween stuff out.

Internet reaction: "OMG toiletunes endorses Big Lots L@@K ! ! !"

Dude! I love Big Lots! If the internet wants to go ZOMG CEBUS GAVE A RINGING ENDORSEMENT OF BIG LOTS I'd just go....

"Yer damn right I did."

slow clap GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

Yeah, they're making such fantastic games with all that money, aren't they? ?

:)

The point is that with the money they could make good games if they play their cards right, but without money they couldn´t, or at least it would be much harder. 

I think we will be seeing a higher quality of games over the next years than we have been used to in recent years. Nothing special, but good and simple sequels to Atari IP like the Food Fight game which is coming up.

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

And come on, the wearable and hotels are not success stories. There are none of the latter being built so far as I can tell, and the only thing in the former category that seems to have made it to market is the speaker hat. While these ventures might have lost other people's money than Atari's they're still going to stick out like red flags to any potential future partners that Atari may attempt do a license deal with. That's what I mean when I say it hurts the brand.

I thought clothes were a part of wearables. If they are not, then wearables have been a failure. 

Even if no hotels are ever built, it is still a success due to the over $3 million (if I remember correctly) they received in advance. I don´t think potential partners will hold it against them that the people who contacted Atari, and bought the rights to the brand for hotels, failed to build hotels. Although, that does show that the brand has its limits.

I also don´t think potential partners will hold it against them that they made money on crypto-stuff. Atari/video game fans do/will, though.

But failures like the speaker hat and the VCS are cause for concern for potential partners. The VCS is not a sideshow, though. A video game console/computer is part of the Atari core.

Anyway, it doesn´t make sense to say that Atari shouldn´t give licenses to companies, because it might deter companies from wanting licenses from them.

Ultimately, if the choice was to either do exactly as Atari has done the last 8 years or to stick to just developing/publishing games, I think the former is preferable. They have a lot more money now than they would have had in the other scenario (with prospects for more), and I don´t think the brand has been hurt much. Those who liked Atari 8 years ago still do (with a few exceptions), and those who don´t give a shit, still don´t.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

This is going round in circles a bit, but the problem I was getting at originally is that - as a company with only about thirty staff on the books - Atari is just too small to be doing all that. To do anything successfully they need to concentrate on one thing and do it well, rather than just seeming to chase fads randomly.

If it's purely as a brand licensing company, I'm fine with that. They get to collect the checks while others make the products at their own expense. There's no need for hands on involvement or hype at the vapourware stage; all they've got to do is make the call as to whether it's fit to have the brand on it when it's ready to be released.

The VCS has no place in that model though. They took a project in house that they didn't have the relevant skills to contribute to, and it showed.

10 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Oh yeah, just showing up and talking about something else is totally an endorsement. ? VCS sales will begin to skyrocket at any moment now!

Go back to playing Spelunky on your Nintendo Switch! You love it so much yet you spend all day in the forums. Why does a grown man need a Nintendo Switch? I'm just wondering...

10 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Rofl that proving you wrong over and over again is "trolling."

Keep telling yourself that while you sit in your mother's basement lol. What have you ever done with your life bro? I'm a Marine veteran, you have nothing on me.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Go back to playing Spelunky on your Nintendo Switch! You love it so much yet you spend all day in the forums. Why does a grown man need a Nintendo Switch? I'm just wondering...

IDK,  Why does a grown man need a Pink Hello Kitty Bicycle or a Crack Pipe?

Some things are just fun I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Djmicklovin said:

Why does a grown man need a Nintendo Switch? I'm just wondering...

In all fairness, you could replace "Nintendo Switch" with "Atari 2600," "Atari VCS," "PS5" and not meaningfully change the question.  They are all video game systems, of one level of success or another.

Now, if you had said "Phillips CDi"...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DavidD said:

In all fairness, you could replace "Nintendo Switch" with "Atari 2600," "Atari VCS," "PS5" and not meaningfully change the question.  They are all video game systems, of one level of success or another.

Now, if you had said "Phillips CDi"...

The thing is each company has their own niche. I always thought Atari appealed to more of an adult gamer audience than Nintendo. Whenever I think of people playing Atari I picture these hippies smoking weed. Nintendo, Playstation appeal more to children and dorks.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

This is going round in circles a bit, but the problem I was getting at originally is that - as a company with only about thirty staff on the books - Atari is just too small to be doing all that. To do anything successfully they need to concentrate on one thing and do it well, rather than just seeming to chase fads randomly.

The number of employes can be changed according to need. When Frederic Chesnais bought it 8 years ago, there were only 10 employees. As their activities increased, so did the number of employees to handle them.

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

The VCS has no place in that model though. They took a project in house that they didn't have the relevant skills to contribute to, and it showed.

I agree that the VCS was a bad idea from the start, and they should never have pursued it.

Edited by Lord Mushroom
  • Like 2