Jump to content
Djmicklovin

Atari VCS Youtube Haters

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

Unfortunately anything "videogames" has never been considered high-class.

 

Not even Golden Tee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not anything.

 

Might be a 41 billion dollar industry, but more people than not view it as gutter entertainment. If ever there was time-wasting, this is it!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Not even Golden Tee?

Especially not any of the Golden Tee series.  Given that they were usually found in bars, it doesn't help their case much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Especially not any of the Golden Tee series.  Given that they were usually found in bars, it doesn't help their case much.

Hey now, I found my wife in a bar....

 

Oh wait, that actually proves your point. BRB, running from the rolling pin!

Drums Eye Roll GIF

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

 

I hate Atari soooooooo much!  You'd better believe that right now I've got my teeth clenched, fists balled-up, and am jumping up and down in seething rage as steam shoots out of my ears!  It's making it difficult to type on the laptop, but if I hit one or two keys between jumps I'll have this post finished by dinnertime!  Then do you know what I'm going to do?  DO YOU?  I'm going to record my post-prandial rage for my YouTube Channel!  It's a playlist called AtariSuxFatWangLOL and it's nothing but hate on Atari!  Then, once I've done that, we'll have a meeting of the secret Atari Hater Brigade Society and we'll hate on Atari some more!  MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

 

Hatercepticon?  Replihater?  Hatergator?  Imperial Stormhater?

 

Re:  The first paragraph.  Not even close.  My hate for this "version" of "atari" is much worse than that.

 

 

One Imperial StormHater to the rest,  a quick reminder that this is not the same Atari that released the VCS,  Oh Goddamnit I suppose now I even have to explain that statement thanks to them.  Not the same as the VCS (1977) that we all know and Love.

 

That out of the way, if people like their purchase of the new vcs then Great.  I hope they are happy with it.  To reiterate;  I don't have any problem with the people who do support this vcs.

 

With maybe the exception of an occasional watch of the Immortal John Hancock, I don't like watching video game reviews, opinions etc. on YouTube anyway.  Too many opinions and only some of them are like mine.  If I want some info on a game I am more apt to watch a bit of gameplay footage to see if I'm interested.   Or I've been known to watch something informative, like the installation instructions for a Game Boy IPS screen, etc. 

 

But...

Personally, I just have a hard time forgetting that it was This version of Atari that:  Blocked publication of (AA Member) Marc Oberhauser's book about the History of Atari,  sued Jeff Minter,  tried to cheat the company that made the original joystick for the vcs,  didn't pay their software architect for 6 months of work (allegedly), used crowdfunding so they wouldn't have to take a risk on this thing,  purposely named this thing a "vcs" knowing it would muddy the waters on anyone still interested in the original, actual VCS and piss off a lot of original Atari Fans, and ripped off (beloved AA member) Curt Vendel (may he R.I.P.) for around $90,000 while he was in the hospital.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

YouTube's finest right here... I'm so glad guys like this have informed me on what to think... Does anybody value their opinion? Funny because we haven't heard a word from them since the VCS launched. 

 

 

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

 

 

YouTube's finest right here... I'm so glad guys like this have informed me on what to think... Does anybody value their opinion? Funny because we haven't heard a word from them since the VCS launched. 

 

 

Ohh again a little free courage wave swim along, cool...

 

I think the show has been over for a long, long time....

 

All the people who don't have a VCS hate it ... and those who have a VCS, love it exactly for the reason: because it does what WE expected it to do.

 

Cheers,

andY

Edited by andymanone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

YouTube's finest right here... I'm so glad guys like this have informed me on what to think... Does anybody value their opinion? Funny because we haven't heard a word from them since the VCS launched.

If you liked those, you'll really love AtariSuxFatWangLOL!  It's my compilation of YouTube videos about how much Atari in general sucks, and the fat wang involved therein.  New content is added whenever I can be arsed to log in to the account, and the inevitable Patreon tin cup will be extended at some point so that I can do this full-time.  That's the dream, anyway!

 

Be sure to like, share, subscribe, and ringy-dingy the belly-welly so that your interwebz View-Master program can annoy the shit out of you every time someone posts to tell me how much both the channel and I chow down on turds!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


....

Edited by andymanone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, GoldLeader said:

Re:  The first paragraph.  Not even close.  My hate for this "version" of "atari" is much worse than that.

 

 

One Imperial StormHater to the rest,  a quick reminder that this is not the same Atari that released the VCS,  Oh Goddamnit I suppose now I even have to explain that statement thanks to them.  Not the same as the VCS (1977) that we all know and Love.

 

That out of the way, if people like their purchase of the new vcs then Great.  I hope they are happy with it.  To reiterate;  I don't have any problem with the people who do support this vcs.

 

With maybe the exception of an occasional watch of the Immortal John Hancock, I don't like watching video game reviews, opinions etc. on YouTube anyway.  Too many opinions and only some of them are like mine.  If I want some info on a game I am more apt to watch a bit of gameplay footage to see if I'm interested.   Or I've been known to watch something informative, like the installation instructions for a Game Boy IPS screen, etc. 

 

But...

Personally, I just have a hard time forgetting that it was This version of Atari that:  Blocked publication of (AA Member) Marc Oberhauser's book about the History of Atari,  sued Jeff Minter,  tried to cheat the company that made the original joystick for the vcs,  didn't pay their software architect for 6 months of work (allegedly), used crowdfunding so they wouldn't have to take a risk on this thing,  purposely named this thing a "vcs" knowing it would muddy the waters on anyone still interested in the original, actual VCS and piss off a lot of original Atari Fans, and ripped off (beloved AA member) Curt Vendel (may he R.I.P.) for around $90,000 while he was in the hospital.

 

 

^^ THIS.

 

Don't ever let this shit be forgotten.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If you liked those, you'll really love AtariSuxFatWangLOL!  It's my compilation of YouTube videos about how much Atari in general sucks, and the fat wang involved therein.  New content is added whenever I can be arsed to log in to the account, and the inevitable Patreon tin cup will be extended at some point so that I can do this full-time.  That's the dream, anyway!

 

Be sure to like, share, subscribe, and ringy-dingy the belly-welly so that your interwebz View-Master program can annoy the shit out of you every time someone posts to tell me how much both the channel and I chow down on turds!

Can't wait for your Patreon to go up. I'll be sure to spare some change for your college fund to help you get a real job...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Can't wait for your Patreon to go up. I'll be sure to spare some change for your college fund to help you get a real job...

He has a real job at antiatari

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, GoldLeader said:

 

 

But...

Personally, I just have a hard time forgetting that it was This version of Atari that:  Blocked publication of (AA Member) Marc Oberhauser's book about the History of Atari,  sued Jeff Minter,  tried to cheat the company that made the original joystick for the vcs,  didn't pay their software architect for 6 months of work (allegedly), used crowdfunding so they wouldn't have to take a risk on this thing,  purposely named this thing a "vcs" knowing it would muddy the waters on anyone still interested in the original, actual VCS and piss off a lot of original Atari Fans, and ripped off (beloved AA member) Curt Vendel (may he R.I.P.) for around $90,000 while he was in the hospital.

 

 

Don't forget about Atari (formerly Infogrames) spending $50K for this....

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Can't wait for your Patreon to go up. I'll be sure to spare some change for your college fund to help you get a real job...

Keep some aside for when you need to dial for help after being banned from yet another thread.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, Djmicklovin said:

I just want to say one thing here. The VCS has had a rough road but the Atari name is worth fighting for. It's history and legacy will live on regardless of who's in charge of the company.I think it is sad what has happened to what was once a strong and vibrant American company.

You can still revere or respect the name of Atari without resorting to being a shill for the current form.

 

Quote

I backed the VCS because I wanted that name to be restored to it's former glory and be respected again. For the sake of Nolan Bushnell, Ted Dabney, Steve Jobs, Wozniak, and all the other greats.

Why would any of them, living or dead, care whether or not you or anyone else buys a VCS?  Pretty sure both Jobs and Wozniak (who Roots.Genoa pointed out, never was an Atari employee), made their names and fortunes over at Apple anyways, so you might as well buy everything Apple, "for their sake," whatever that means.  

 

Quote

The company that gave birth to an industry and many big name companies today is now scoffed at and is a shell of it's former self.

That's not our fault, but entirely theirs for making stupid or outright unethical decisions over the course of many years. They've screwed many people out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars over this time, because they really loathe paying people that they hire for the work that they do. Rob Wyatt, inventor of your favorite console, explicitly said that the VCS would've been better had Atari not constantly been cutting back on features for it, all because they're tightwads.

 

You don't reward that sort of behavior by shilling for and excusing it. Don't expect me to shed a tear for them just because they happen to own the name that more ethical & competent people created 50 years ago.

 

Quote

Those of us that are still here supportive of the VCS just remember that we were the ones down in the trenches with Atari during it's darkest of times.

So right now is darker than when the company went from making billions to losing millions almost overnight and the entire industry it'd made with it came crashing down, resulting in thousands of lost jobs at them and with other companies? Or back in 1996 when the Jaguar had just failed, CEO Sam Tramiel had suffered a heart attack, the company had to be reverse merged into a small hard drive company, then later sold to a toy company?

 

Quote

Better and brighter days are ahead and Atari will prevail, but we can look back on these times knowing we helped to make a difference. 

 

As has been hashed out over various threads here, there's nothing compelling about the VCS that's going to turn it into the incredible widespread success you've emotionally invested yourself into seeing. On the contrary, it could be a worse seller than the Jaguar, which is saying something, because an extremely small number of people on the planet care about the brand, or having a mini-PC attached to their TV so they can web browse from their console. There is no killer app for it, no incredible exclusive that people need to have that generates sales.  It's already a joke among the many tech or gaming oriented personalities online (when they are bothered to remember that it exists), and the most discussion it generates comes from "hate threads" or whatever you want call threads like this one. 

 

After the holidays are over this year, chances are it'll be nothing more than an amusing footnote in gaming history. I'm sure you'll blame the haters for it's failure, but all of that is on Atari, as they're the ones that botched this from the get-go. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Keep some aside for when you need to dial for help after being banned from yet another thread.

If that's the case then who's really the one dialing for help here? 

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

If that's the case then who's really the one dialing for help here then? 

You know what, Stuart?  I LIKE YOU.

 

You're not like the other people, here, in the trailer park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The suffix "er" is used to create nouns of agency, indicating a person or thing that performs an action, from verbs.

I can think of a lot more stupid ass words these days than "Hater". Hater is fine, the opposite of lover.

 

They can take "addicting" and shove it up their ass. I wish that word never creeped into gaming lingo.
 

Edited by Draxxon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

The suffix "er" is used to create nouns of agency, indicating a person or thing that performs an action, from verbs.

1866888741_th(1).jpeg.7b5ab39fef48e00fe619c6ff7cc38f12.jpeg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, toiletunes said:

1866888741_th(1).jpeg.7b5ab39fef48e00fe619c6ff7cc38f12.jpeg

here is a little more to know...

 

The word "Hater" — as it's often used today — is derived from the term "Player Hater," a phrase popularized by late rapper Notorious B.I.G., shown here clutching his Billboard Music Awards in 1995.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Draxxon said:

The word "Hater" — as it's often used today — is derived from the term "Player Hater," a phrase popularized by late rapper Notorious B.I.G., shown here clutching his Billboard Music Awards in 1995.

TIL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

You can still revere or respect the name of Atari without resorting to being a shill for the current form.

 I'm not a shill for them, I never grew up with Atari when it was in it's glory years. That was before my time. The first consoles I ever played were the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. I was a little kid at that time so I didn't find out about Atari until later. So I didn't really have any emotional attachment or feelings for Atari then. Just like new generations of kids don't know what Atari is now. I can still appreciate the brand for what it is now even though it has changed, and I feel it is important to carry on the name and legacy for the sake of future generations to learn and understand what that brand means to gaming. 

On 8/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Why would any of them, living or dead, care whether or not you or anyone else buys a VCS?  Pretty sure both Jobs and Wozniak (who Roots.Genoa pointed out, never was an Atari employee), made their names and fortunes over at Apple anyways, so you might as well buy everything Apple, "for their sake," whatever that means. 

You wouldn't have your PS5, Xbox, Nintendo, and a lot of what we have now if it were not for these people. Atari is also the last American company to make their consoles in the United States. The problem with this country is we don't take pride in our own companies like people in Japan do. We let them wither away. Why would people in Japan buy an Xbox when they have companies in their own backyard making consoles? Do you get that? Jesus... So I keep those kind of things in mind when I make a purchase. It's like voting with your wallet.

 

On 8/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's not our fault, but entirely theirs for making stupid or outright unethical decisions over the course of many years. They've screwed many people out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars over this time, because they really loathe paying people that they hire for the work that they do. Rob Wyatt, inventor of your favorite console, explicitly said that the VCS would've been better had Atari not constantly been cutting back on features for it, all because they're tightwads.

 

You don't reward that sort of behavior by shilling for and excusing it. Don't expect me to shed a tear for them just because they happen to own the name that more ethical & competent people created 50 years ago.

You realize there were more people involved with the VCS than just Rob Wyatt right? What more features do you need? It's a PC, it does everything already! The console got done and has been launched, I don't care about behind the scenes company drama that every company goes through with a product development. Atari is a small, fledgling company and they obviously can't afford to take financial risks. They're a company run by like 20 people.

 

On 8/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

On the contrary, it could be a worse seller than the Jaguar, which is saying something, because an extremely small number of people on the planet care about the brand, or having a mini-PC attached to their TV so they can web browse from their console. There is no killer app for it, no incredible exclusive that people need to have that generates sales.  It's already a joke among the many tech or gaming oriented personalities online (when they are bothered to remember that it exists), and the most discussion it generates comes from "hate threads" or whatever you want call threads like this one. 

 

After the holidays are over this year, chances are it'll be nothing more than an amusing footnote in gaming history. I'm sure you'll blame the haters for it's failure, but all of that is on Atari, as they're the ones that botched this from the get-go. 

Actually many thousands of people around the world still care about the brand or we wouldn't be here in the forums. PS5 and Xbox don't have killer apps yet either because the consoles just launched! It takes time, especially for a company that's been out of the game (literally) for decades. Looking forward to revisiting this thread after the holidays then. Can't wait until you're proven wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you, Djmicklovin, on the features of the VCS and on how many people care about the brand. But I consider it to be extremely unlikely that the VCS will have a killer app. Atari doesn´t have the money to make an expensive blockbuster game, and making a cheap very successful games is very difficult. And even if they do make a killer app, they wouldn´t make it a VCS exclusive (at least not for a long), as they would make more money by releasing the app on more platforms.

 

I just don´t want you to get disappointed when the killer app doesn´t show up. Just enjoy the VCS for what it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Atari is also the last American company to make their consoles in the United States.

They were the last American company to make their consoles in the United States... in 1993 with the Jaguar, subcontracted to IBM in North Carolina.

 

(There might have been some indie consoles that were US made since, but I can't find any.)


The modern Atari, however, is a French company that bought the brand, changed its name to match, and does its manufacturing in China. Personally, I'm not fussed, but you've picked the wrong guys if you think you're backing North American manufacturing with the VCS.

 

Sony (San Mateo since 2016) and Microsoft (pretty much always in Washington state) are, for what it's worth, headquartered in the US, do the bulk of their design work there, and at least some of their manufacturing too even if the final assembly of consoles is also done in China.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...