Jump to content
Djmicklovin

Atari VCS Youtube Haters

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

They were the last American company to make their consoles in the United States... in 1993 with the Jaguar, subcontracted to IBM in North Carolina.

 

(There might have been some indie consoles that were US made since, but I can't find any.)


The modern Atari, however, is a French company that bought the brand, changed its name to match, and does its manufacturing in China. Personally, I'm not fussed, but you've picked the wrong guys if you think you're backing North American manufacturing with the VCS.

 

Sony (San Mateo since 2016) and Microsoft (pretty much always in Washington state) are, for what it's worth, headquartered in the US, do the bulk of their design work there, and at least some of their manufacturing too even if the final assembly of consoles is also done in China.

Sony is not headquartered in the United States, they are headquartered in Japan where all their profits go. They have a marketing team in the United States but that is it, PS5s are made in China. They are not even the slightest bit American. The Atari VCS has a design and marketing team in the United States as well. The VCS was designed in the United States. 90s Atari wasn't American either, they were headquartered in the UK. IBM had manufacturing plants in the US and UK at that time. The Jaguar was designed in the UK by a company called Flare at the time. Atari's computer line was also designed in the UK. Atari was actually quite popular in the UK back then. Although the current Atari is French, France is one of our closest allies. We have stronger ties with France than we do Japan.

  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

90s Atari wasn't American either, they were headquartered in the UK.

...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Sony is not headquartered in the United States, they are headquartered in Japan where all their profits go. They have a marketing team in the United States but that is it, PS5s are made in China. They are not even the slightest bit American. The Atari VCS has a design and marketing team in the United States as well. The VCS was designed in the United States. 90s Atari wasn't American either, they were headquartered in the UK. IBM had manufacturing plants in the US and UK at that time. The Jaguar was designed in the UK by a company called Flare at the time. Atari's computer line was also designed in the UK. Atari was actually quite popular in the UK back then. Although the current Atari is French, France is one of our closest allies. We have stronger ties with France than we do Japan.

Sony are a multinational conglomerate with subsidiaries all over the world, but the particular company that makes the PlayStation - Sony Interactive Entertainment - is indeed headquartered in the US, as I said. The last three PlayStations (Vita, PS4 and PS5) have been designed by a team led by an American (incidentally also an ex-Atari employee in the early 80s) in Mark Cerny. They employ several thousand people in the US, including around half their first party games studios, which is more than you could say for Atari. If you're wondering where Sony's profits go it's to their shareholders; they're a public company with listings on various markets including the NYSE.

 

Atari Corp. was always based in Sunnyvale, right up until the merger with JTS, so I don't know where you got the idea that they moved to the UK from. Flare Technology was indeed UK based though, and mostly made up of refugees from Sinclair Research. John Mathieson of Flare later went on to to greater fame as a lead designer for Nvidia's Tegra series, as used in devices like the Switch, so there's another modern console with a strong link to Atari's legacy. (The Xbox also has Atari links via Ed Fries, so that's the big three all covered.)

 

The only Atari computer developed in the UK was the Portfolio, courtesy of DIP Technology. Seeing as they're as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth that probably wasn't what you meant though. Both the A8 and ST lines were designed and developed in the US. It's all pretty well documented.

 

I'm from the UK, so I know how popular Atari were there; they had a good run with the VCS, moderate success with the A8 and a final flourish with the ST that had pretty much run its course by 1992. The Jaguar bombed just as hard there as it did everywhere else though.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Sony are a multinational conglomerate with subsidiaries all over the world, but the particular company that makes the PlayStation - Sony Interactive Entertainment - is indeed headquartered in the US, as I said. The last three PlayStations (Vita, PS4 and PS5) have been designed by a team led by an American (incidentally also an ex-Atari employee in the early 80s) in Mark Cerny. They employ several thousand people in the US, including around half their first party games studios, which is more than you could say for Atari. If you're wondering where Sony's profits go it's to their shareholders; they're a public company with listings on various markets including the NYSE.

That's a subsidiary of Sony, the parent company is headquartered in Japan. Atari's gaming division, Atari Interactive Inc, is also a subsidiary with headquarters in New York. Atari had headquarters in the UK at on time as well, since 75% of their computer sales back then were in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Djmicklovin said:

That's a subsidiary of Sony, the parent company is headquartered in Japan. Atari's gaming division, Atari Interactive Inc, is also a subsidiary with headquarters in New York.

Where are you getting this from? Atari Interactive was the old Infogrames Interactive, a French company that was wound up in 2013. They might nominally have a headquarters in New York, but they're basically just a shell company now.

 

All Atari's current console and games development is done by external contractors. Atari itself is just a brand licensing operation.

53 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Atari had headquarters in the UK at on time as well, since 75% of their computer sales back then were in Europe. 

I'm going to have to ask you for a source on that, as there's no record I can find of them ever having left Sunnyvale prior to the JTS merger.

 

You might perhaps be thinking of C-Lab, a German company who bought the rights to manufacture the Falcon when Atari discontinued it. They never held any rights to the Atari brand itself though.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony is a complex operation as many Japanese companies are.   Sony Pictures and Sony Music are the old Columbia pictures/CBS Records plus whoever they merged with since.   They have always been primarily American operations.    Playstation is indeed based in California now, and there seems to be some tension there between them and Japan--  they recently shut down most of Sony's "Japan Studios" for instance.

2 hours ago, Matt_B said:
4 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Atari had headquarters in the UK at on time as well, since 75% of their computer sales back then were in Europe. 

I'm going to have to ask you for a source on that, as there's no record I can find of them ever having left Sunnyvale prior to the JTS merger.

There was a UK subsidiary.  Europe was a much better market for Atari computers than the US was in the Tramiel years.   But the head office was in the US

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 2:35 AM, Djmicklovin said:

 I'm not a shill for them, I never grew up with Atari when it was in it's glory years. That was before my time. The first consoles I ever played were the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. I was a little kid at that time so I didn't find out about Atari until later. So I didn't really have any emotional attachment or feelings for Atari then. Just like new generations of kids don't know what Atari is now. I can still appreciate the brand for what it is now even though it has changed, and I feel it is important to carry on the name and legacy for the sake of future generations to learn and understand what that brand means to gaming. 

 

It doesn't matter when you found out about Atari, you can still shill for the company like you've been doing. If you want to do that, then fine. I think we've all shilled for them at some point in our lives, I just find it ridiculous to do so for the current owners of the company who haven't earned the business of most consumers.

Quote

You wouldn't have your PS5, Xbox, Nintendo, and a lot of what we have now if it were not for these people.

This is a red herring argument. Again - none of those people have any connection whatsoever to the VCS. They have a connection to the brand, but saying people should buy this new system for the sake of their memories or brand or whatever makes zero sense.

 

 The modern VCS wouldn't exist either if it wasn't for companies like Nintendo and Sony keeping the flame alive after Atari botched it with everything after the 2600.  

Quote

Atari is also the last American company to make their consoles in the United States. The problem with this country is we don't take pride in our own companies like people in Japan do. We let them wither away. Why would people in Japan buy an Xbox when they have companies in their own backyard making consoles? Do you get that? Jesus... So I keep those kind of things in mind when I make a purchase. It's like voting with your wallet.

 

Like Matt_B said, your info on this is skewed. Atari SA - the one we're talking about right now, so is what is important to this conversation - is headquartered in France. Says so right on their stock listing. Fred Chesnais, the CEO of the company while the VCS was under 99% of it's development, is French. The guy who originally proposed the VCS and was it's first designer before Atari didn't pay him was Feargal Mac Conuladh, who is also French. Rob Wyatt might be American, but he was the 2nd designer they brought in, and you're forgetting that he didn't finish the VCS, since Atari decided not to pay him either for over six months, so Atari had to find some other company to finish it up. They contacted a Chinese company called UNIS to do that, but they declined, so I'm not sure who they found to finish it up. But this thing has been passed around more than a hookah in a hippie van when it comes to countries involved.  

 

Check the box or underside of your VCS though and it says MADE IN CHINA, so not sure how buying a VCS supports buying American, because it really doesn't. Supporting Atari now because they manufactured the Jaguar in the USA almost 30 years ago is completely nonsensical. 

Quote

You realize there were more people involved with the VCS than just Rob Wyatt right? What more features do you need? It's a PC, it does everything already! The console got done and has been launched, I don't care about behind the scenes company drama that every company goes through with a product development.

Yeah, as I pointed out above, there are several. I get that you and the small handful of VCS faithful don't carry about Atari's lack of ethics, but don't act all surprised when other people do when you get on your high horse to defend them.

Quote

Atari is a small, fledgling company and they obviously can't afford to take financial risks. They're a company run by like 20 people.

Lol, and yet they decided to take one of the absolutely biggest risks in the video game industry - launching a platform. I guess you should have advised them not to make such a bad move.

 

Also, those 20 people aren't game designers, coders, artists, engineers, etc. Those were the kind of people that made the Atari of old great. Not some licensing and legal guys, led by a guy who has a hard-on for blockchain or whatever other shiny object that's a fad on LinkedIn right now. 

Quote

Actually many thousands of people around the world still care about the brand or we wouldn't be here in the forums. It takes time, especially for a company that's been out of the game (literally) for decades. Looking forward to revisiting this thread after the holidays then. Can't wait until you're proven wrong.

The number of active people on the VCS forums that are in full support of the VCS isn't anywhere near the thousands. Most on here are deriding it. It only nabbed 11,000 pre-orders over three years(not all of them for the console, many just for the joystick, lol), which is nothing in the business world. Go ahead and tell yourself that it'll be some smashing success if it just has time, but you're going to experience some massive disappointment in the near future when it doesn't. 

Shouting Development GIF - Shouting Development Dozens Of Us GIFs

 

Quote

PS5 and Xbox don't have killer apps yet either because the consoles just launched!

Lol.  The PS5 has sold over 10 million consoles since launch, and has popular launches like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (a PS5 exclusive which has already broke 1m sales) and the Spider-man game which has sold over 6.5m. Yeah, "no killer apps" 🙄 there; or the Xbox Series X also serving as the fastest selling console in Microsoft's historyLots here for the XBX is selling pretty well.

 

What non-timed exclusives has Atari announced for the VCS? 

 

Bueller Ben Stein GIF - Bueller Ben Stein Laffer Curve GIFs

 

Quote

Looking forward to revisiting this thread after the holidays then. Can't wait until you're proven wrong.

So will I, although I don't expect you to do anything more than move the goalposts, since that's what tends to happen on these kinds of threads when talking about measuring the VCS' "success." I'll help you out though - while everyone else is selling millions or thousands of units, selling dozens or hundreds isn't what you call a success. 

 

Until then, you've got your work cut out for you to evangelize the console. The VCS is already collecting dust at stores per anecdotal reports, selling an incredible 1 unit a month at retail! I'm sure that once the Big 3 kick up their holiday releases and you have the likes of the Steam Deck, Play Date and maybe the Amico becoming available(not to mention other available systems like Evercade or existing PCs, etc. etc.), that consumers will totally come to their senses and start punching each other out in the aisles to get the hot new Ataribox so that their kids can play 40 year old Atari games and some non-exclusive indie games they've never heard of. 

Black Friday GIF - Black Friday Shopping Crazy GIFs

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, as I pointed out above, there are several. I get that you and the small handful of VCS faithful don't carry about Atari's lack of ethics, but don't act all surprised when other people do when you get on your high horse to defend them.

I keep seeing people get up in arms about the supposedly unethical decisions of current Atari management, yet seemingly aren't bothered by the shady crap pulled by previous Atari ownership(s) since pretty much day one.   So this line of argument looks like little more than throwing mud and trying to make it stick.  It isn't very persuasive.

 

12 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Lol.  The PS5 has sold over 10 million consoles since launch, and has popular launches like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (a PS5 exclusive which has already broke 1m sales) and the Spider-man game which has sold over 6.5m. Yeah, "no killer apps" 🙄 there; or the Xbox Series X also serving as the fastest selling console in Microsoft's historyLots here for the XBX is selling pretty well.

I have a PS5,  it does not have a killer app (yet).   It's selling well based off goodwill and faith that the games will come.   The PS4 had similar strong sales in the beginning despite a shortage of compelling games.   Same reason, people knew the killer games would come and they did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zzip said:

I keep seeing people get up in arms about the supposedly unethical decisions of current Atari management, yet seemingly aren't bothered by the shady crap pulled by previous Atari ownership(s) since pretty much day one.   So this line of argument looks like little more than throwing mud and trying to make it stick.  It isn't very persuasive.

 

 

That's because it was 20/30/40 years ago. I get it, you hate the Tramiels with every fiber of your being. Not sure how stewing over that now does any good or what it has to do with a product that is selling right now from completely different people. Atari SA has a long and recorded habit of screwing people out of what is owed for their work, including the guys who helped design the VCS. You want to reward that and act like it's no big deal, probably because you aren't the one that is/was screwed.  

Quote

I have a PS5,  it does not have a killer app (yet).   It's selling well based off goodwill and faith that the games will come.   The PS4 had similar strong sales in the beginning despite a shortage of compelling games.   Same reason, people knew the killer games would come and they did.

While I agree that the PS[4/5/whatever] always gets sales based off of goodwill and expectations, what's a killer app is entirely subjective to the person. The fact of the matter is that the not only is the platform itself selling millions - so are many of the exclusive games. You or I might not care about Ratchet & Clank, but there are millions of other people who do, so for them a game like that or Spider-Man is a "killer app." A lot more people talk about and stream games from the PS5 than anything that's on the VCS. 

 

Is Food Fight going to be a killer app for the VCS? Maybe it could be for some people, but that gets completely undercut once it's available for other platforms. Not sure why this basic business concept is so hard to grasp.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Lol.  The PS5 has sold over 10 million consoles since launch, and has popular launches like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (a PS5 exclusive which has already broke 1m sales) and the Spider-man game which has sold over 6.5m. Yeah, "no killer apps" 🙄 there; or the Xbox Series X also serving as the fastest selling console in Microsoft's historyLots here for the XBX is selling pretty well.

 

What non-timed exclusives has Atari announced for the VCS?

Majority of those sold were scalped and are still sitting on ebay collecting dust with scalpers trying to get hundreds of dollars over suggested retail price. Most of the games on PS5 you can get on steam now. Nobody cares about Ratchet and Clank. There are no games and you're grasping at straws at this point! 

 

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, as I pointed out above, there are several. I get that you and the small handful of VCS faithful don't carry about Atari's lack of ethics, but don't act all surprised when other people do when you get on your high horse to defend them.

Yeah nevermind the shady business Nintendo has pulled over the years with copyright claims on YouTube for kids posting gameplay content or anything critical about their brand and business practices. Sony and Microsoft can throw their money around all they want but smaller companies like Atari, Sega, and others can compete too.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Majority of those sold were scalped and are still sitting on ebay collecting dust with scalpers trying to get hundreds of dollars over suggested retail price. Most of the games on PS5 you can get on steam now. Nobody cares about Ratchet and Clank. There are no games and you're grasping at straws at this point! 

 

Lol, pot calling the kettle black when you call a million+ seller to be something that "nobody cares about." Or Spider-Man at 6.5 million and climbing, noticed you left that out. They also revealed that MLB has sold over 2 million copies; the PS5 exclusive Returnal over 560,000. Which is at least 550,000 more people buying that game that bought the VCS console. 

 

Do you even have any self-awareness to realize that if that's your bar, then under 10k unit sales for the VCS makes it what? That means that nobody cares at all about Atari.

 

As for "no games" 

 

PS5 as of August 2021: 210~ titles. Backwards compatible with the PS4, thus expanding the access to over 3200 games. 

Atari VCS, same date: About 30? And they still haven't delivered on some of the games that they promised at the commencement of the IGG campaign. Yes, content expands with PC mode if you use that, but it has to do so with most 3D games at lowest settings and some it's simply incapable of running which will expand with time. At least can play 2D pixel art stuff that's available on everything else.

 

Of course, this is all a moot point. The VCS is already ignored outside of these teeny-tiny pockets on the internet (this forum, Reddit, closed Facebook groups). But you keep on pretending that it's a snake-in-the-grass PS5 killer, I'm sure you'll convince someone to buy one at some point!

 

Quote

Yeah nevermind the shady business Nintendo has pulled over the years with copyright claims on YouTube for kids posting gameplay content or anything critical about their brand and business practices.

Oh yeah, that's totally on the same level as screwing developers our of tens of thousands of owed dollars, or taking customer money for the Gameband and never delivering a product then refusing to do refunds, or removing any negative comments about the VCS on their FB & Reddit pages (to the point that they lost control of their own Reddit), or suing Target over foot pong (even though many Pong clones exist out there), or not paying game contestants on one of their failed TV shows for the promised prizes, or trying to suppress bad reviews of their bad games, or lying about a journalist who pointed out how inept Michael Artz was, or suing indie developers over using the word Haunted House in their indie game which had nothing to do with Atari's IP, etc. Definitely on the same level.  

 

Totally Crush GIF - Totally Crush Nemo GIFs

 

Quote

Sony and Microsoft can throw their money around all they want but smaller companies like Atari, Sega, and others can compete too.

Yeah, with someone competent at the helm. You've made zero case for how Atari is competing or can compete, so good luck with that dream.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zzip said:

I keep seeing people get up in arms about the supposedly unethical decisions of current Atari management, yet seemingly aren't bothered by the shady crap pulled by previous Atari ownership(s) since pretty much day one.   So this line of argument looks like little more than throwing mud and trying to make it stick.  It isn't very persuasive.

I'm currently sticking it to Tramiel, Kassar and Bushnell in the other thread. I'm sure I'll get around to Bonnell and Morgan when the opportunity arises. Anyone else? Surely you don't expect us to lay into Ted Dabney. 😃

 

I'd like to think that I can also give credit where it's due to these people too. For everyone they shafted and all their bad decisions, they still managed to get some great products out while they were in charge. The opportunities for that seem considerably sparser with Chesnais though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused, when is it ok to compare ataribox to ps5 and when is it not?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Lol, pot calling the kettle black when you call a million+ seller to be something that "nobody cares about." Or Spider-Man at 6.5 million and climbing, noticed you left that out. They also revealed that MLB has sold over 2 million copies; the PS5 exclusive Returnal over 560,000. Which is at least 550,000 more people buying that game that bought the VCS console. 

 

Do you even have any self-awareness to realize that if that's your bar, then under 10k unit sales for the VCS makes it what? That means that nobody cares at all about Atari.

 

As for "no games" 

 

PS5 as of August 2021: 210~ titles. Backwards compatible with the PS4, thus expanding the access to over 3200 games. 

Atari VCS, same date: About 30? And they still haven't delivered on some of the games that they promised at the commencement of the IGG campaign. Yes, content expands with PC mode if you use that, but it has to do so with most 3D games at lowest settings and some it's simply incapable of running which will expand with time. At least can play 2D pixel art stuff that's available on everything else.

 

Of course, this is all a moot point. The VCS is already ignored outside of these teeny-tiny pockets on the internet (this forum, Reddit, closed Facebook groups). But you keep on pretending that it's a snake-in-the-grass PS5 killer, I'm sure you'll convince someone to buy one at some point!

Jesus dude... Who has time to write all that? I don't have time for this. Go find a PlayStation forum to post in then if you love it so much. I've seen a lot of used PS5s ending up on ebay and craigslist lately. And I know people personally that got bored with it very quickly. People are not playing the system anymore when they know the system can be easily scalped. And who has the money for 50, 60, 70 dollar games and crappy PSN these days? 

 

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Oh yeah, that's totally on the same level as screwing developers our of tens of thousands of owed dollars, or taking customer money for the Gameband and never delivering a product then refusing to do refunds, or removing any negative comments about the VCS on their FB & Reddit pages (to the point that they lost control of their own Reddit), or suing Target over foot pong (even though many Pong clones exist out there), or not paying game contestants on one of their failed TV shows for the promised prizes, or trying to suppress bad reviews of their bad games, or lying about a journalist who pointed out how inept Michael Artz was, or suing indie developers over using the word Haunted House in their indie game which had nothing to do with Atari's IP, etc. Definitely on the same level. 

what developers have been screwed over? Sources? The Atari VCS triggers the fanboys apparently. PS5 isn't even that big of an upgrade over the PS4. More like an incremental update than anything. There's no reason to justify paying for a scalped PS5 right now when you can just play all those games on PS4 or PC. People want more than just rehashed PS2/PS3 games. 

 

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, with someone competent at the helm. You've made zero case for how Atari is competing or can compete, so good luck with that dream.

They have already restructured and have a new guy in charge of the games. They are working on bringing premium PC and console games to market. I mean I don't know what more you want. They're listening and doing everything the fans want.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

They have already restructured and have a new guy in charge of the games. They are working on bringing premium PC and console games to market. I mean I don't know what more you want. They're listening and doing everything the fans want.

I agree that they are now on the right path in terms of game development. Although, I think they will need to grow for at least several years, or take a big risk, before they will make an expensive AAA title.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's because it was 20/30/40 years ago. I get it, you hate the Tramiels with every fiber of your being. Not sure how stewing over that now does any good or what it has to do with a product that is selling right now from completely different people. Atari SA has a long and recorded habit of screwing people out of what is owed for their work, including the guys who helped design the VCS. You want to reward that and act like it's no big deal, probably because you aren't the one that is/was screwed.  

It's not just the Tramiels, it's every iteration of Atari-  Warner kept losing programmers because they didn't like the way they were treated.  There are people who take issue with Bushnell's "hot-tub culture" and he recently lost an award over it.   Whatever I still bought the products and played the arcade games in those years.   My dislike of the Tramiel-era is because of how they slowly ran a once great brand into the ground,  not because of his "business is war" philosophy screwing over his retailers and suppliers etc.   

 

I know there are allegations of non-payment with the current iteration,  but allegations on the internet are a dime a dozen, and there are two sides to every story so I'll let the lawyers sort that out.

 

16 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

The fact of the matter is that the not only is the platform itself selling millions - so are many of the exclusive games.

Of course they are, there isn't much PS5-only content to pick from right now.  

 

16 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

A lot more people talk about and stream games from the PS5 than anything that's on the VCS. 

Because Sony is a well-run videogame operation, and has been for a quarter century.  They get more things right than they do wrong, and when they mistep, they know how to recover from it.

 

Atari's problems go back decades.  They lost their chance to be competitive with the likes of Sony way back when they bungled their successor to the 2600.  They never recovered from that and had to settle for last place since, and then irrelevancy.     The Atari of today has to bear the fruit of all those bad decisions.  So to expect them with something like 30 employees to compete with the likes of Sony is ridiculous.   They are a retro-play,  competing against the other retro plays,  not Sony/MS/Nintendo.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

And I know people personally that got bored with it very quickly. People are not playing the system anymore when they know the system can be easily scalped. And who has the money for 50, 60, 70 dollar games and crappy PSN these days? 

Can confirm,  the PS5 is pretty boring right now.   It's mostly good for playing uprezzed PS4 games.    But I am holding onto it hoping it gets better.   Maybe when Elden Ring comes... 

 

13 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd like to think that I can also give credit where it's due to these people too. For everyone they shafted and all their bad decisions, they still managed to get some great products out while they were in charge. The opportunities for that seem considerably sparser with Chesnais though.

Atari has gone through bankruptcy, they've had to sell-off some of their IPs.   They have a staff of 30 people now give or take.   I'm not sure what kind of miracles they are supposed to perform given those constraints.   Monetizing the brand for aging Gen-Xers seems like the best bet.   They aren't going to be the same kind of company they used to be, that ship has sailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's because it was 20/30/40 years ago. I get it, you hate the Tramiels with every fiber of your being. Not sure how stewing over that now does any good or what it has to do with a product that is selling right now from completely different people. Atari SA has a long and recorded habit of screwing people out of what is owed for their work, including the guys who helped design the VCS. You want to reward that and act like it's no big deal, probably because you aren't the one that is/was screwed.  

Nolan Bushnell approves! Lol stay mad big fella. The brand will live on regardless of company drama. There are always two sides to every story. I would take rumors you heard on the internet with a grain of salt. There are no sources to back up those claims. Every company has disgruntled employees that will say and do anything to publicly shame and defame a company, doesn't make it fact.

 

19 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

The modern VCS wouldn't exist either if it wasn't for companies like Nintendo and Sony keeping the flame alive after Atari botched it with everything after the 2600. 

Actually it would still exist because PC gaming also has been a thing since before Sony and Nintendo came along. If Sony and Nintendo never existed, PC gaming would have dominated. But I guess you forgot about that...

16 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Lol, pot calling the kettle black when you call a million+ seller to be something that "nobody cares about." Or Spider-Man at 6.5 million and climbing, noticed you left that out. They also revealed that MLB has sold over 2 million copies; the PS5 exclusive Returnal over 560,000. Which is at least 550,000 more people buying that game that bought the VCS console. 

The fact that one of their best selling games right now is a sports game tells you there's no games lol. Pretty sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Nolan Bushnell approves!

But, but didn't anyone tell him that current Atari is "Faux-Atari"?

 

17 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Every company has disgruntled employees that will say and do anything to publicly shame and defame a company, doesn't make it fact.

Not just that, the smart ones will listen to their lawyer's advice and not talk about those cases publically.   Social media is very quick to be judge, jury and executioner and there are lots of people all to happy to feed that beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Djmicklovin: you've demonstrated that you don't have the historical knowledge or experience to be able to speak with authority on the subject.

 

Speaking as someone who at one time was attending weekly meetings in SCEA's offices in both Foster City and San Diego, any remaining shred of credibility you may have once had completely evaporated when you started talking about Sony's structure outside of Japan.  You just don't know what you're talking about, at least not in anywhere even close to the depth that you seem to think you do.

 

By all means carry on, but your lack of experience, historical understanding, and the business of video game entertainment are really just lolz fodder at this point.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zzip said:

But, but didn't anyone tell him that current Atari is "Faux-Atari"?

Not required.  He knows.  And doesn't care, as it happens.  To him, they're just another company he worked for at this point.  He's very much aware of what they're worth in today's world, which is about nil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And doesn't care, as it happens.  To him, they're just another company he worked for at this point

I doubt it,  his companies are probably like his children and he's probably happy that at least two of them are still alive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, toiletunes said:

I'm confused, when is it ok to compare ataribox to ps5 and when is it not?

When it is ok to compare your local hardware store to Walmart I guess. You can compare selection, but to blast them for not selling as many screwdrivers would be weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2021 at 5:19 AM, Matt_B said:

You might perhaps be thinking of C-Lab, a German company who bought the rights to manufacture the Falcon when Atari discontinued it. They never held any rights to the Atari brand itself though.

Now that I've not heard about. Did they actually make any?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Nolan Bushnell approves! Lol stay mad big fella. The brand will live on regardless of company drama. There are always two sides to every story. I would take rumors you heard on the internet with a grain of salt. There are no sources to back up those claims. Every company has disgruntled employees that will say and do anything to publicly shame and defame a company, doesn't make it fact.

 

 

Lol, I'm not mad, just amused by what you call arguments, or wanting me to do all the research for you, since you apparently are too incompetent to do so. Human Head Studios is one(I'm friends with one of the developers on Minimum, the Atari game that Atari screwed HHS over with), Frontier sued them over non-payment on Roller Coaster Tycoon, and the list goes on. But I have a feeling if I waste my time doing all the research for you, you'll parse something else and go on another dumb tangent after being proved wrong, like you've continually done.

Quote

They have already restructured and have a new guy in charge of the games. They are working on bringing premium PC and console games to market. I mean I don't know what more you want. They're listening and doing everything the fans want.

What do fans want? Sources?

 

Quote

The fact that one of their best selling games right now is a sports game tells you there's no games lol. Pretty sad.

Sports games are frequently massive sellers, showing that once again, you don't have a single clue to what you are talking about. Pretty sad.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...