IGNORED

Adventures in Lightgun Fun

DrVenkman

A couple months ago I ran into a blog post from way back documenting someone's circuit for creating an adapter for a Sega Light Phaser to his Atari systems. Inspired, and desperately wanting to try Alien Brigade on my 7800 via my Dragonfly Cart, I picked up a Light Phaser on eBay and set about recreating that adapter. Eventually I created a little PCB for the adapter and it works great. That adventure is documented in the 7800 forum via a separate thread.

This weekend I decided to try my adapter with my A8 machines and as expected, it works great. :) I'm also somewhat surprised that the XE version of Crossbow is quite a bit nicer than the 7800 version. The title screen is prettier, the game over screen is animated, the in-game map is nicer, the enemy sprites are better detailed and animated. It was quite a pleasant surprise. 

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Looks WAY better than the duct-taped franken-adapter I built.  Nice. 

It took me three tries to get my tangle wired up properly, despite the relative simplicity of the circuit. I *hate* trying to keep the pin assignments straight on this kind of stuff. That’s why I designed the PCB - to make it as idiot-proof (DrVenkman-proof!) as possible.

This is what I started with before I decided to try making a PCB:

10F86317-6938-441C-ACA7-CA33FD26B96F.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Herb

Are you gonna offer these here (as a kit or plug-and-play version)?

Sincerely

Mathy

I don't know, maybe. My friend wants to offer them fully assembled with his 3D printed cases, which is fine with me. Not sure how much demand there would be but I guess we can find out. I do want to revise the board to shrink it a bit and make it a little easier to assemble - the footprint for the transistor is the default from EasyEDA's library, but the legs are a bit too close together for quick soldering. So those changes, plus maybe a locator pin hole or two, are definitely going to happen. 

But in any case, once it's done enough that I never want to mess with it again, I'll post the Gerbers somewhere for those who insist on DIY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2