IGNORED

TI-99/4A Speed Run (Parsec)

Opry99er

44 minutes ago, Opry99er said:

There would need to be a cutoff point... with no "end" it is impossible to speed run a game.  That's why I picked the Killer Satellites as the cutoff for Parsec.  Usually speed run games are platformers, RPGs, racing games, etc... as far as I know, TI Invaders doesn't have an ending.

Well, you could pick a particular round, as you did in Parsec with the killer satellites. For example, play TI Invaders until you reach the level with the green blinkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Well, you could pick a particular round, as you did in Parsec with the killer satellites. For example, play TI Invaders until you reach the level with the green blinkers.

Love it!  ? I'm decidedly poor at that game... so I look forward to seeing what you guys can do with it!  ? 

The point with TI Invaders is that you can end each wave by shooting all intruders as fast as possible. This could be done is less than a minute, I'd guess, and you have less fixed time as in Parsec where you have to wait until the next enemy swoops in.

Another goal could be to reach 10000 points as fast as possible. This would mean that you have to carefully consider whether to wait for the yellow mother ship or for the interlude ship.

• Like 1

Just now, mizapf said:

The point with TI Invaders is that you can end each wave by shooting all intruders as fast as possible. This could be done is less than a minute, I'd guess, and you have less fixed time as in Parsec where you have to wait until the next enemy swoops in.

Another goal could be to reach 10000 points as fast as possible. This would mean that you have to carefully consider whether to wait for the yellow mother ship or for the interlude ship.

That's a really interesting idea!  Lots of gaming categories available to us with all these great games we have for our system!!

1 minute ago, Retrospect said:

I never did attempt to engage with Dramites in Lift-2 but I like your method

Give it a try.  By going slower than the Dramites, you trick them into stuttering their vertical ascent, meaning they will always fire BELOW your ship as long as you are rising in elevation.  The downside is, if you reach the top of the screen, you don't have the speed to drop down if the Dramite is still alive.  So, kill it on the "rise" or lose a ship.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, Opry99er said:

I guess it's important to define some quick parameters for the run.

You should start your timer when you "press fire to begin."  You should stop your timer when the screen changes to blue and the first killer satellite appears on screen.

In addition, I would like to focus on a glitch-free speed run for now.  There are three glitches which can be used to change the game play dynamics.  The first is the "Level Warp Glitch".  This involves intentionally scuttling your ship before "Pressing Fire To Begin."  This can cause a level warp once you defeat the first wave of swoopers.  It's unclear if this was intentional... or if it can be manipulated to a consistent trick... but it seems right now to be random.  Sometimes it warps you to the end of the first level, sometimes it warps you to another level.

Another glitch is the "Clip Glitch."  This involves backing your starship up so far that the flame tail of your engine appears on the right side of the screen.  In this state, you are essentially invincible to the armored bosses.  This is a really difficult one to achieve, but I will be avoiding it as I work to optimize the run.

The third glitch is the "Beam Trail Glitch."  This involves spraying laser beams all over the screen by pressing fire on the joystick and the corresponding 'fire' button on the keyboard.  This will leave laser trails onscreen which help against Bynites.  When they turn invisible, the beam artifacts illuminate the invisible enemies.  

If everyone is okay with these ground rules, then we can proceed forward with these as the guidelines for our first official speed running category on the TI.  

Also, your laser will not overheat with the "Beam Trail"