IGNORED

Speedscript Spell Checker: Speedcheck?

gilsaluki

I always loved using Computes! Speedscript 3.0.  No spell checker for it however.  Today, listening to a review by Inverse Atari, he mentioned a spell checker came out later for it called "Speedcheck".  However, I think he was mistaking a spell checker of the same name for the C64 published by Compute's Gazette (a C64 dedicated mag).  Am I correct in this?  Was/is there a spell checker for Speedscript?

SpeedCheck was published in the magazine as an external utility that checked SpeedScript and paper clip file against user-defined dictionaries. Scriptsave set a timer to save documents to disk that you could load before SpeedScript. Other utilities were published in issues of Compute!'s Gazette with SpeedSearch to search of all documents on a disk with speedscript files on it told you how many times the searched word or phrase was used in the files. SpeedScript 3.2. with ScriptRead might be commodore only as the last speedscript I think I had was 3.1.   Gazette being the Commodore thing of Compute! Magazine for those that don't know.

I think Speedscript changed names either to or from Spreedscript at least once. Not quite sure. Anyhow, people loved the program and add ons were made for it. The Atari had a spell checker that worked with it, that's for certain... I used it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

21 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Its gotta be on a Compute disk somewhere?  I googled for a while too and couldn't find it.  Is it possible there was a generic spell checker that worked with SpeedScript?

I don't think it exists for the Atari Computer.  It did for the Commodore 64 and 128, published Computes! Gazette.  This was the point of this whole topic.  I think INVERSE ATARI guy made that mistake in his podcast, his research showed that SpeedCheck was developed later for the Atari version of Speedscript.  It was not, but someone differed with me.  Still looking for it myself.  Maybe another spell checker would work with it. I know you can most likely transfer the file to Atariwriter+ and then spell check it.  But, I would like to use a spell checker with Speedscript.  

Correction the podcaster is INVERSE ATASCII (not Inverse Atari).  Good podcasts.  I realize there is a lot work/research that goes into them and I appreciate the effort; the reviews are great.  However, there is no SpeedCheck developed for the Atari Speedscript 3.0. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Correction the podcaster is INVERSE ATASCII (not Inverse Atari).  Good podcasts.  I realize there is a lot work/research that goes into them and I appreciate the effort; the reviews are great.  However, there is no SpeedCheck developed for the Atari Speedscript 3.0. 

Perhaps you could ask @Ripdubski if he has a version that was never released or something?

I recall the evening that Dean (from the old Wbug BBS here in New Orleans) and myself went to Ronnie Riche's home.  TextPRO development and final 5.0 releases had pretty much stalled.  The main reason for going to his home was to lend him a 256k MIO among other things, to encourage him to keep working.  Dean and I watched as he did a compile of TP from ram memory and got to see his enjoyment.  As most here already may know, Ronnie was already moving on from the Atari and was working on a WP for the IBM PC box.  The MIO spurred him to finalize TP5 and then release it and the source to the public.  Talking with him that night, one of the things he said was that he hoped that someone in future, would use the hooks in the program to create a spell check and grammar check.  My understanding from my friend Dean is that Ronnie has since, passed away.  I'm glad I had the chance to meet him, he's a really great guy.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 8:58 PM, Ripdubski said:

I don't recall seeing anything about SpeedCheck.  I will poke around and see what I can find.

You're the reason this thread exists.  In your podcast you were the one that said SpeedCheck was later written for the Speedscript.  Then you were backed up by a Doctor (post #4).  Can we all agree no such spellchecker was in fact written for the Atari version of Speedscript?  DBM.

I mentioned it in the podcast, you are right.  The statement is correct.  The conveyance is in error.  There is a SpeedCheck, but not for the Atari.   It was indeed in Compute! Gazette, not Compute!.

Link: https://archive.org/details/1985-12-computegazette

I spoke of it in the background section where I was talking about the programs history, and some of the other platforms. From my notes of that podcast which was just over 5 years ago now (2016):

-Jan 1984 Version 1 for C64 and VIC20.

-1.1 published in Computes 2nd book of Commodore.

-May 84 saw 2.0 in Gazette Disk.

-March and April 85 3.0 released in Compute! magazine.

-May 85 3.1 corrections published.  3.1 full published in stand alone book Compute! SpeedScript: The Word Processor for the Commodore 64 and Vic-20.

-May 1985, ported to Atari 8.

-June 1985, ported to Apple II.

-December 85 and Jan 86 published 3.2 update.

-December 85 also saw the release of SpeedCheck in Compute! Gazette.  Checked docs against user defined dictionary.  Also checked docs from word processors like PaperClip.

-June 86, SpeedScript 80 to support Commodore 128 80 column video, but worked in C64 mode and didn’t support extra memory.  It was updated by Bob Kodadek to support the memory and was called SpeedScript 80 Revisited.

-May 87, Computes Gazette re-published 3.2 with 3 utilities: ScriptRead which could identify and preview SpeedScript docs on disk with ability to delete them; SpeedSearch which was a word count utility (think Unix wc); and Date & Time Stamper, which would allow timestamping of files.

-October 1987, Bob Kodadek released SpeedScript 128 which was  a C128 native version which also supported the C128 enhanced keyboard.

-December 1987, Compute! released Instant 80 for C64 which allowed viewing only of SpeedScript docs in 80 column mode on standard C64.

-1988 a port to PC’s running MS-DOS done by Randy Thompson, published by Compute! Books.  Written in Turbo Pascal, with parts in Assembly.

-September 1988, SpeedCheck 128 was released to support C128.

-September 1989, Bob Kodadek further revised SpeedScript 128 to have full text justification, tab setting and online help

Perhaps I could have been clearer to which platforms the programs and versions existed.  The Atari didn't reap all the benefits of the other Commodore platform.

• Like 1

Just now, gilsaluki said:

Yeah, What I said in previous posts.  But a Doctor (post #2) was emphatic that there was a spell checker created for SpeedScript.  But no one wants to admit error these days.  Sad. DBM.  With that being said, I enjoyed your podcasts. Keep it up. 

For Atari.  I am not talking about Commodore.   I know there was one for Commodore, but this thread is not about Commodore.  

• 1 year later...

Asking for things is not how you get stuff done on the internet...

What you need to do is this:

"It's impossible to port SpeedCheck to the Atari, the C64 was far superior linguistically and the Atari with it's rudimentary language capabilities could never, ever handle that"

Should get you a port a in a few days... :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Atari8guy said:

Asking for things is not how you get stuff done on the internet...

What you need to do is this:

"It's impossible to port SpeedCheck to the Atari, the C64 was far superior linguistically and the Atari with it's rudimentary language capabilities could never, ever handle that"

Should get you a port a in a few days... :)

Can't say he's wrong, I've told people they can't or won't do a thing to get them to do it. Pissed them off so bad they had to prove me wrong. Mwah ha ha ha :)

They might not like me as much anymore, but the community is reaping the rewards big time.

Oh noes! The secret is out! Next we'll be telling them all our tricks and about back doors.

Edited by _The Doctor__