IGNORED

Retro Emulators in AtariOS?!?

Mockduck

10 hours ago, Mockduck said:

At some point the VCS web site got updated, wasn't there last time I looked, which has been a while:

Retro Games on OS.png

Good catch, I hadn't seen that. Makes me wonder if some of the flash drives I have with old 2600 ports (and a couple with NES games) would work. Those needed Stella but given that it is one of the most common emulation platforms, it would surprise me if it didn't work. May try that tonight. 

34 minutes ago, Atarick said:

Good catch, I hadn't seen that. Makes me wonder if some of the flash drives I have with old 2600 ports (and a couple with NES games) would work. Those needed Stella but given that it is one of the most common emulation platforms, it would surprise me if it didn't work. May try that tonight. 

It's new but is still says "available soon", so I'm not sure what you had in mind, but there isn't any support in the Dashboard yet.

4 minutes ago, justclaws said:

It's new but is still says "available soon", so I'm not sure what you had in mind, but there isn't any support in the Dashboard yet.

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully they announce it once it drops via an eventual system update or whatever. 

I mean built-in Stella would be freakin' amazing, but I was of the impression that its creators weren't down for having it be in anything commercial like that. Maybe Retroarch support or something? Or maybe they've got some kind of thing going with Evercade, since they are already linked up to that device. 

Stella is GPL licensed, so you can use it as part of a commercial product. You've just got to release your source so that all modified versions remain free and open source.

If you're using RetroArch, you're probably using the Stella LibRetro core in any case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 6:34 AM, justclaws said:

foodfight-arcade-cropped.gif

Is that even a 2600 game?  Looks more like an arcade version, right?  Food Fight?  All I can see it was released for (based on a very quick glance at youtube) is the Arcade and 7800.  So Stella isn't even the thing to be asking about?  Would be sweet to integrate RetroArch into the VCS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leech said:

Is that even a 2600 game?  Looks more like an arcade version, right?  Food Fight?  All I can see it was released for (based on a very quick glance at youtube) is the Arcade and 7800.  So Stella isn't even the thing to be asking about?  Would be sweet to integrate RetroArch into the VCS.

That's def the arcade version.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leech said:

Well, hopefully it is either retroarch, or some sort of 'All Atari consoles in one!' Emulator.

A Jaguar emulator that works well?  Maybe license that Russian one, and put a better interface around it.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, zzip said:

A Jaguar emulator that works well?  Maybe license that Russian one, and put a better interface around it.

Ha, yeah the Jag hasn't been the easiest to emulate.  And I feel like it would be like some emulators where they have to implement a bunch of work arounds to get everything to run.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, yeah the Jag hasn't been the easiest to emulate.  And I feel like it would be like some emulators where they have to implement a bunch of work arounds to get everything to run.

I have a 3rd-party Atari 2600/7800 9-pin joystick to USB adapter, but I'd definitely buy an Atari Jaguar to USB adapter!
(Even if such a h/w adapter takes a couple of years to come out...) 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, leech said:

Ah, I saw that ages ago, but it's been "out of stock" every time I looked.
I thought it was a discontinued project, but I should have drop him a message again.
Thanks for reminding me about it.