IGNORED

Jaguar JANK

JazGaming

Hello, I have played my Atari Jaguar for a long time now, yet never bothered to fix the sound (which has been broken since I bought it) since almost none of the games I had had music anyways it never really bothered me as I'd just put on some headphones and jam out while playing jaguar. But now I just really want it fixed. I've opened it up before and soldered a new resistor, or current regulator of some kind (forgive me it was so many years ago) yet the problem persisted. However before I open it up to recheck everything I want to ask about the power supply. My power brick is an official Jaguar brick, but gets hot after it's been plugged in too long so I've always left it unplugged unless I'm playing. Is this common? And could it be why the sound shorted out in the first place? Any information would be much appreciated.

In some games you can turn the music on or off by pressing 0 on the key pad. If you haven’t tried that before I’d recommend giving it a shot before opening the jaguar up again. 

My apologies if you already knew this and it is a more serious issue, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t know this. 

56 minutes ago, JazGaming said:

Hello, I have played my Atari Jaguar for a long time now, yet never bothered to fix the sound (which has been broken since I bought it) since almost none of the games I had had music anyways it never really bothered me as I'd just put on some headphones and jam out while playing jaguar. But now I just really want it fixed. I've opened it up before and soldered a new resistor, or current regulator of some kind (forgive me it was so many years ago) yet the problem persisted. However before I open it up to recheck everything I want to ask about the power supply. My power brick is an official Jaguar brick, but gets hot after it's been plugged in too long so I've always left it unplugged unless I'm playing. Is this common? And could it be why the sound shorted out in the first place? Any information would be much appreciated.

A while back, I decided I didn't want to have to use two giant bricks plugged in, as I was running out of space on my power strip, so invested into one of these; https://retrogamesupply.com/collections/atari/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-atari-jaguar-cd

But as you probably don't also have the JagCD(?) then there are several alternatives you could try.

Man, I would have been pissed if I'd fried the sound right after getting the Jag, especially as Tempest 2000 has an amazing sound track!

1 hour ago, JazGaming said:

My power brick is an official Jaguar brick, but gets hot after it's been plugged in too long so I've always left it unplugged unless I'm playing. Is this common? And could it be why the sound shorted out in the first place? Any information would be much appreciated.

There will always be a little heat generated while on, even if not plugged into the Jaguar as there will be current flowing through the primary of the transformer, more heat will be created when drawing current from the power unit, it is inherent in the design as 3 to 4 watts of power is being created inside a small unventilated enclosure.

Consequently it is normal for them to get warm when in use, even feel hot, but provided it does no get too hot to touch it is probably OK and the longer you use it the warmer it will get. If you open the jaguar and the measured output voltage with the Jaguar running is approximately 9V that would be a reasonable indicator that it is operating as expected.

The first thing to check when you have on audio output is that the output voltage from REG1 is 5V DC and that it is getting to pin 8 of U4 (audio output amplifier)