IGNORED

TI99/4a F18a install issues

Hello all,

I finished an F18a upgrade for a customer's TI99/4a.  It works perfectly for about 10 or so minutes then it goes to a screen that says Matthey Haggarty dev screen and just starts blinking.  Sometimes with a tone, sometimes without one. 

Pulled the computer back apart to see if there's anything I missed or an electrolytic got installed backwards but everything looks fine.  F18a is installed into a machined pin socket on the board, not the stock one. The jumpers are set properly. I tried some different power supplies just to rule that out but ran into the same issue.  If I let it sit for a few minutes then I can turn it back on and it will work for a little bit and start doing the same thing again.  Almost like something is overheating but none of the other chips appear to be abnormally hot.

Anyone ever ran into something similar?

I've got an email in to Matt but I know he's super busy so I was hoping maybe someone here might know something or offer some help.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Jim contacted me by email as this seems to be a board that I have built.  I would ask anyone who has problems with F18As that I have built to get in touch with me for support instead of asking Matthew Haggerty.  I don't have a diagnosis for this board yet, but I'll probably send out a replacement board and look at the faulty one once it is returned to me.

-Hans

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hans23 said:

Jim contacted me by email as this seems to be a board that I have built.  I would ask anyone who has problems with F18As that I have built to get in touch with me for support instead of asking Matthew Haggerty.  I don't have a diagnosis for this board yet, but I'll probably send out a replacement board and look at the faulty one once it is returned to me.

-Hans

Yep, my mistake.  I didn't know that you sold the board until a little bit ago when the customer let me know.  We'll resolve this off Atari Age.  Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Make sure the board is fully seated in the socket.  I pulled  up that screen when I first installed mine and discovered during the reassembly process, there had been enough movement that it wiggled a bit loose.  When I reseated it firmly, all was well.

• 5 weeks later...

@dhe I like the bubble-paper texture on the metal :)

In all my considerations of mounting the SVGA port and an HDMI converter, it never occurred to me to use a small attached box like that.  I have been toiling with internal and hidden mountings.  Such a simple and elegant solution, that is.  The SO is correct: I do spend too much time over-engineering things.  (Just never tell her I admitted it.)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, matthew180 said:

@Ruggers Customs Sorry, I did not realize that was your work.  Nice enclosure!  Are you selling those?  Also, seeing that you are in Atlanta, are you attending the Gaming Classic + VCF-SE show in August?

No worries and thank you. This is the second one I've done, first one was in red for another customer.  I don't sell them for individual install but only offer them for in house installs.  I've been in such a rush I didn't get finished pictures of this one but I did take a snapshot from the video I made for the customer showing the output box lit up.  Blue always looks nice. :)

As far as attending the SE Gaming classic in August, I might as it's about 25 minutes from the house.  I'm actually planning to take the whole month of August off to get some house renovations done so maybe.

screenshot texas instrument.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

As far as attending the SE Gaming classic in August, I might as it's about 25 minutes from the house.  I'm actually planning to take the whole month of August off to get some house renovations done so maybe.

I will have a few tables there.  As will another fella, Mark Little, who lurks here.  @acadiel usually attends, as well.  Swing on by!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I will have a few tables there.  As will another fella, Mark Little, who lurks here.  @acadiel usually attends, as well.  Swing on by!

Yep, I'm registered.  Make sure you register on the VCFED website.

I'm bringing my CC-40+ with Wafertape and RS232, my TI-99/2 and a screen, and my Tomy Pyuuta.  Am going to see if I can get it all on one table.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, acadiel said:

Yep, I'm registered.  Make sure you register on the VCFED website.

I'm bringing my CC-40+ with Wafertape and RS232, my TI-99/2 and a screen, and my Tomy Pyuuta.  Am going to see if I can get it all on one table.

I am getting three tables.  I will probably have a couple few feet to spare if you need.  I am almost certain that Earl will put you, me, and Mark together.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update.

I wanted to give huge thanks to @Hans23.  Hans sent out a replacement F18a super fast which worked flawlessly.  He was nice and very professional through out the entire process.  It's becoming more and more difficult to find people these days that offer such superb customer service.  Anyone looking to purchase anything Hans sells or makes can rest assured he will sell you a superior product or he'll quickly correct an issue if there is one.  I'm definitely impressed.

Thanks again Hans! :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hello 

To the person that is called +dhe. I have three ti's and to pebs. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell me the plans for my use only to be able to print out the box for the f18a cabling. I hope to upgrade all my ti's with this card. If you are not willing that is fine. How much each lol. Thanks in advance 

Phil

29 minutes ago, Tobare said:

Hello 

To the person that is called +dhe. I have three ti's and to pebs. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell me the plans for my use only to be able to print out the box for the f18a cabling. I hope to upgrade all my ti's with this card. If you are not willing that is fine. How much each lol. Thanks in advance 

Phil

@dhe See above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...