IGNORED

Atari2600 Academic research (reinforcement learning)

spaceInvader89

Hi!

I'm a CS masters student currently working on my thesis in reinforcement learning.

There's a really cool 2600 game available here called Skeleton+ by Eric Ball (released in 2002).

Because of it's game properties Skeleton+ is perfect for my AI research (This research, if successful, might wind up as a small paper in some AI magazine or blog).

Legally I can't publish anything using this game without permission from Eric Ball (or from AtariAge?) - but I didn't manage to reach neither via mail.

Can anyone help me to reach either Eric or an admin from AtariAge regarding this issue?

Nir Weingarten

Are you sure you need permission? I'm not a lawyer or know much about the academic world.  Usually homebrew developers don't want someone else selling or distributing their work without their permission. I haven't heard of any not wanting their games used in academic research.

These annotations are new to me, but lets try them out.

@EricBall   @Albert

• 2 weeks later...

@spaceInvader89

Which email address did you use for me?  (The old atariage one stopped working years ago.)

But I have no issues with you using the game itself as part of your research.  (That would fall under fair use anyway, but I appreciate you asking first.)

Send me a DM if there's anything in particular you'd like to know about the game which would help you out.  I'm also curious about what particular properties Skeleton+ has which caught your interest.

Just don't use it as AI training for killer robots.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@EricBall thanks.

Yes, iv'e used the old AtariAge email..

Apart from being a balanced game and lot of fun Skeleton+ also uses stereo audio.

The research will incorporate audio in two channels into a neural net and we'll measure the differences in performance while using no audio, mono audio and stereo audio on various RL algorithms.

I'll DM you once I have some progress done, should be interesting!