I recently got an N64 and it works great.  I was surprised when I popped in Donkey Kong 64, it said no expansion module detected.  I tried cleaning the port and the original module and same thing.  I ordered a new module from Amazon and still won’t detect it.  Any advice?

Yes as MockyLock suggests you need the actual Expansion pack that actually expands the N64 memory for certain titles like DK64, the black topped jumper pack is literally nothing more than a bridge as the console will not play any games with it. If you definitely are using the Expansion pack then I am not sure what the issue is. 

Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak

expansion-pak.jpg

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-64-expansion-pack-things-you-never-knew/

1 hour ago, rcajun90 said:

This is what I bought from Amazon.

N64 Expansion Oack, Replacement Memory Jumper Pak Pack for Nintendo 64 N64 Game Console

Ah OK, forget my previous post, I searched these EXACT thing on Amazon . com and think this is exactly what you ordered? Which as I suspected is pretty much the same as the other listing. Sorry but this confirms it, that is JUST a Jumper Pack and nothing else, which explains the low price listed. The actual 4MB Exspansion as needed for DK64 would cost much more whether original or 3rd party. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Memory-Jumper-Nintendo-Console/dp/B07KPHNN74/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=N64+Expansion+Oack%2C+Replacement+Memory+Jumper+Pak+Pack+for+Nintendo+64+N64+Game+Console&qid=1623311160&sr=8-1

WHAT YOU GOT 

Capture.thumb.PNG.c35f051dc26e081e7893ffca8448bdb1.PNG

What you NEED to play DK64 and other titles that require the extra memory

2.thumb.PNG.e0f3ddc07f9a4372c627f58c8c1b6721.PNG

Sadly the proper 4MB Ram Expansion paks (1st or 3rd party) tend to go for stupid high prices ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
fix
  • Like 1

Yeah and wow $11 for that jumper pack knockoff on amazon...sheesh.  All that thing is, is a basic circuit connector basically to complete from A to B to C.  The *B* you need, seriously, buy the NINTENDO one, as fairly common some third party ones would get super hot fast and have issues.  I think they're around $40 now which sucks, but the trade off so so is worth it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah and wow $11 for that jumper pack knockoff on amazon...sheesh.  All that thing is, is a basic circuit connector basically to complete from A to B to C.  The *B* you need, seriously, buy the NINTENDO one, as fairly common some third party ones would get super hot fast and have issues.  I think they're around $40 now which sucks, but the trade off so so is worth it.

The ones I see are $60 plus dollars.  I want to thank everyone for the replies and advice.  I know now what I need.??

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rcajun90 said:

The ones I see are $60 plus dollars.  I want to thank everyone for the replies and advice.  I know now what I need.??

I wouldn't pay over $40-50 tops, a lot of trolls right now are trying to rip people off like mad on ebay and elsewhere trying to panic people into paying even more to set a new going rate.  Keep watching for stuff that is close to expiring or watching the newly popped up BINs.  You should stay under $50 shipped if you try.

• 2 months later...

I had utterly no idea that the Jumper Pack had any actual value, given that every N64 console shipped with one installed.

That would explain why most of the consoles that I have seen in thrift shops are missing the Jumper Pack -- they can apparently be sold independently.  

And probably usually to folks that don't know it's not the expansion pack or have forgotten what the terminology refers to over the past 20 years and think they're buying an expansion pack.

I can't see there being much of a market for this otherwise, given that the expansion pack is important for several of the significant releases from the system's last couple of years of major release activity. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 6:40 AM, Tanooki said:

All that thing is, is a basic circuit connector basically to complete from A to B to C.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

..., the black topped jumper pack is literally nothing more than a bridge as the console will not play any games with it.

I'm shocked that not one but even two people telling such - sorry - non-sense. The Jumper Pack (yes, stupid name) is very important for the N64's architecture. The N64 uses RAMBUS memory (RDRAM), which can not have unpopulated memory slots. The Jumper Pack is a resistor pack that terminates the memory bus. This is needed on every system based on RAMBUS. And of course the system won't work at all if you remove it.

In case you've never seen what's inside the Jumper Pack:

jumperpak_front.thumb.jpg.db3f8395edab25a1fe1c7eff0df020e4.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, derSammler said:

I'm shocked that not one but even two people telling such - sorry - non-sense. The Jumper Pack (yes, stupid name) is very important for the N64's architecture. The N64 uses RAMBUS memory (RDRAM), which can not have unpopulated memory slots. The Jumper Pack is a resistor pack that terminates the memory bus. This is needed on every system based on RAMBUS. And of course the system won't work at all if you remove it.

In case you've never seen what's inside the Jumper Pack:

jumperpak_front.thumb.jpg.db3f8395edab25a1fe1c7eff0df020e4.jpg

Yes, yes all the techinical details, terminates the memory bus ? END RESULT SAME = HE NEEDS IT IN ORDER FOR THE N64 TO FUNCTION. 

The OP wondered why his games did not detect Exspansion module which is what he THOUGHT he had, in the end he understood that in fact he had a jumper pack. As you will see in his post #10 he was pleased with the answers given.

Try not to be too shocked that sometimes we try not to confuse the person further and simple give them enough info for them to point them in the direction to buy what they require. ?

• Like 3

So you're going to be a pedantic little baby trying to talk down because we didn't go nerd deep into the description?  Really?  Obviously it's not just some featureless plug to fill the gap.  Despite what either of us said, it's not wrong, just not how you wanted it.  It does complete A to B to C as I said it.  A being the game, B being the jumper in place as a bridge, and C to the memory/rest of the system because if it's not there, it doesn't work.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Wait I dont recall ever needing the jumper pack for the N64 to work.

Well then you are recalling it wrong ?‍♂️ they came included as standard for a reason, with nothing in the slot you will not get a image on the screen. I mean, unless you were replacing it with the exspansion pack you likely did not give it much thought. 

7 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Well then you are recalling it wrong ?‍♂️ they came included as standard for a reason, with nothing in the slot you will not get a image on the screen. I mean, unless you were replacing it with the exspansion pack you likely did not give it much thought. 

I thought later N64s didn't need but I guess that's not the case.

• Like 1