IGNORED

Croquet Game for the Intellivision

Haha.. perhaps port Computer Golf from the Odyssey^2. It was once described as golf for the nearsighted, using a croquet club and a ping-pong ball. ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously though, are there any computer games with croquet? I don't think it would be difficult, but you'd have to dream up how the course should look like. Multiple arches on the same screen that you need to go through, or one arch per screen? Decor, scoreboard etc? Since it doesn't sound like an existing project you'd try to copy, it might be a suitable first project in IntyBASIC.

I might imagine arches something like this, to indicate direction, or maybe you want to use different colours or looks.

.....oo.  .....oo.  .oo.....  .oo.....
...oo..o  ...oo..o  o..oo...  o..oo...
.oo....o  .oo....o  o....oo.  o....oo.
o......o  o......o  o......o  o......o
o.o....o  o.ooo..o  o....o.o  o..ooo.o
o..o.o.o  o.oo...o  o.o.o..o  o...oo.o
o...oo..  o.o.o...  ..oo...o  ...o.o.o
o..ooo..  o....o..  ..ooo..o  ..o....o
Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Aha. There also were two (?) for the Wii and then the first person perspective Croquet Pro on Steam etc. The later obviously is a tough thing to tackle on the Intellivision, but the PC Engine style, slightly dumbed down might be a way to represent it.

Appare! Gateball is supposed to be based on "the Japanese version" of Croquet, but it's a good starting point to determine what would work best for an Intellivision Gateball game.

If you didn't dispay other players during each turn they could each be very detailed and colorful.

Here's how I'd do the controls:

1. Disc - push and hold downward direction until desired power as indicated visually on screen.

2. Disc - immediately upon desired power, push an upward direction in the desired trajectory of the ball. 

3. Disc - Arc your shot in accordance with multiple on-screen gates for successive score multipliers.

4. Disc - use disc to solve a "boss" gate. After whacking the ball with the mallet, Gameplay perspective changes to a close 3rd person view off the ball. Now disc is used to guide the ball through increasingly fantastical obstacles; similar to Sega's Super Monkey Ball.

Thoughts, @carlsson ?

Sounds good, if the disc is that versatile. I would probably use the disc to aim, then one of the stiff side buttons to gain power and release for the shot. Number 4 probably is the hardest, at least for someone who takes on the project as a starter. We'll see if anyone is up for the task or if anyone takes the opportunity to move from gamer/collector to developer as more and more people dare to dip their toes into that water now with the user friendly but powerful IntyBASIC.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, a demake of Cooking Mama is not a bad idea. My still unfinished contest entry is not quite meant to be like that, but could be said to have some similarities.

I'm not sure of how I feel about being served crayfish with ham croquettes, though ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Oh sorry, I thought it was a cooking game.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1ac2546ab2e515faa7ebeac5308d1f7.jpeg

I love Spanish ham croquettes.  Someone should make a game out of them.  Yum!

dZ.

You beat me by...ehem 36 minutes... I just had the idea to post a picture of croquettes. But after all, it would just be simple potato ones. ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Sounds good, if the disc is that versatile. I would probably use the disc to aim, then one of the stiff side buttons to gain power and release for the shot. Number 4 probably is the hardest, at least for someone who takes on the project as a starter. We'll see if anyone is up for the task or if anyone takes the opportunity to move from gamer/collector to developer as more and more people dare to dip their toes into that water now with the user friendly but powerful IntyBASIC.

Yeah number four was just a "what if..." Idea. BUT, it does remind me of games like Space Battle and Space Spartans where you essentially have two screens of different gameplay mechanics. 

Sub Hunt is another good example. It switches from a 2D playing field to a simulated first person playing field i which the player can actually navigate in 3D

Edited by Intelligentleman

• 2 weeks later...