IGNORED

Save issues

thefred

I am having issues with games that use the save file feature that used to work on the classic game drive doesn't work on the new one. When it gets to the point where it is supposed to save, the game freezes.

Also having issues with games that support eproms, you save the game and when you try to resume, the save isn't there.

It has never worked since I received it. Are there any tests I could do on it, or any suggestions?

2 hours ago, thefred said:

I am having issues with games that use the save file feature that used to work on the classic game drive doesn't work on the new one. When it gets to the point where it is supposed to save, the game freezes.

Also having issues with games that support eproms, you save the game and when you try to resume, the save isn't there.

It has never worked since I received it. Are there any tests I could do on it, or any suggestions?

The issue with certain homebrew is a known issue, and as far as I am aware there are fixed versions of these games available.

Unless the LNX file indicates the cartridge has an EEPROM, it will not work. Make sure the LNX file is correctly setup. You can view what the settings in the header are by pressing B+A (I think?) from the menu on the game.

Edited by SainT

2 hours ago, SainT said:

The issue with certain homebrew is a known issue, and as far as I am aware there are fixed versions of these games available.

Unless the LNX file indicates the cartridge has an EEPROM, it will not work. Make sure the LNX file is correctly setup. You can view what the settings in the header are by pressing B+A (I think?) from the menu on the game.

You view the header info on the GD game menu when you have the game highlighted? I'll check when I get home from work. I just found it odd when the same eeprom supported games work on another brand flash cart.

Do you have something you could send me to confirm if the GD drive is working or not? If it isn't enabled how do you do it?

1 hour ago, thefred said:

You view the header info on the GD game menu when you have the game highlighted? I'll check when I get home from work. I just found it odd when the same eeprom supported games work on another brand flash cart.

Do you have something you could send me to confirm if the GD drive is working or not? If it isn't enabled how do you do it?

Yes, from the GD game menu, press B+A with a game selected. Look at where it says "Save:". It needs to say "EEPROM".

If the game supports EEPROM saves, and it is shown to be enabled in the header as described above, then it should work. The ".e2p" EEPROM file will not be written to the memory card until the game tries to write to the EEPROM. So unless the game tries to write to the EEPROM, then to save file will be created.

I have no idea if other flash carts check the header info before enabling EEPROM support, but I support all possible EEPROMs from 128B upto 1KB, so I check for support and also size before enabling.

If all the above checks out, but you still have no ".e2p" file, then it's possible there is a fault. It's not something I have encountered so far, though.

4 hours ago, SainT said:

Yes, from the GD game menu, press B+A with a game selected. Look at where it says "Save:". It needs to say "EEPROM".

If the game supports EEPROM saves, and it is shown to be enabled in the header as described above, then it should work. The ".e2p" EEPROM file will not be written to the memory card until the game tries to write to the EEPROM. So unless the game tries to write to the EEPROM, then to save file will be created.

I have no idea if other flash carts check the header info before enabling EEPROM support, but I support all possible EEPROMs from 128B upto 1KB, so I check for support and also size before enabling.

If all the above checks out, but you still have no ".e2p" file, then it's possible there is a fault. It's not something I have encountered so far, though.

It looks like that is it, I tried xump2 and it did work. It looks like the games I dumped with the programmer isn't putting the correct header on. Is there a program for windows to edit the header? The other ones that used the save files must be older versions before the new GD came out.