IGNORED

Air Raid Goodwill Auction

Mockduck

9 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Dropped like a bomb on Facebook this morning. Looks...legit? Seems to be to me! I wonder if that Goodwill has any idea what they had when they put it up, and what they are thinking 

Well right now it's sitting at $600,

and still has a reserve. 

I'm sure Goodwill knows! 

Wow...

I expect this will go for a mint. Very rare to even find one for sale, and the very few loose cartridges that have in the past popped up on eBay tended to go for thousands if I recall correctly?

This certainly will be a good boost to the Fort Worth Goodwill.

It will be interesting to see what the final selling price is for it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Maybe someone deliberately donated it?

I don't know why someone would have deliberately donated a game they know is rare when they could have sold it themselves and easily make a few grand off of it. It could just be someone who donated a box of random Atari games they found in the attic. Meanwhile, I'm having war flashbacks from the spray painted Atari cart with a pvc pipe glued on top.

Edited by The Mr. Video
Fixed some wacky formatting.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Mr. Video said:

I don't know why someone would have deliberately donated a game they know is rare

when they could have sold it themselves and easily make a few grand off of it. It could just be someone who donated a box of random Atari games they found in the attic. Meanwhile, I'm having war flashbacks from the spray painted Atari cart with a pvc pipe glued on top.

Maybe the person is nearing end of life or something, looking to do some good, passed it to their local Goodwill to give them a jump in cash? Hard to know the story, would love to know if ANYONE out there has info to share. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hizzy said:

Is it real?

I don't think it is really possible to know for sure if just looking at the auction pic. To my mind it seemed real enough for me to put in a bid; the plaque and dirt on the label seems legit, and it is slightly off-kilter, which is probably not something someone trying to sell a fake would do. That said, simply guesses, right. To me it seems to have the worn legit look of an actual vintage cart, but I don't think that actually gets answered unless/until the winner opens the plastic box and looks at the circuit board.

This cart seems to have turned up in Fort Worth, so the area would be correct. Haven't a lot of the known carts been found in Texas?

Assuming that this is real, wouldn't this put the number of known carts at at around 30? From that number, we'd have to assume that at least as many other examples still exist but are lying around unrealized in random basements, garages, warehouses, storage lockers, attics, etc. All would in turn suggest that at least a hundred copies were originally made, but who knows how many were never sold and either trashed or warehouses.

A few years ago there was an up to date Registry of the publicly known copies here on AA. Has anyone been keeping it updated?

25 minutes ago, Keatah said:

What makes this cart so sought after? It's just a piece of plastic with a sticker. Modern manufacturing could dupe it in a day and make thousands.

It contains actual magic. 

Also, old collector's item, super rare. If you don't care about rarity, def not for you. Dupe's aplenty abound, but not as much as Halloween and Texas IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

What makes this cart so sought after? It's just a piece of plastic with a sticker. Modern manufacturing could dupe it in a day and make thousands.

" It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless... Men will kill for it. Men like you and me."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Reserve met 

---

Reload this page for updates

Product ID: 123623470
Number of Bids:10 (High Bidder: G******l)
Current Price:$2,001.00
Reserve:Reserve Met
Bid Increment:$1.00
Shipping Price:Estimate Shipping
Handling Price:$2.00
Seller: Goodwill North Central TexasViewcounter Pixel
Ends In: 7d (reload page to update)
Ends On: 6/17/2021 6:02:00 PM Pacific Time

Well, obviously I'm out. Going into the realm of the most dedicated buyers, currently at 2k. I am honored to have been the $500 and $600 highest bidder for a while. :) Might be the last time I ever get to bid on an Air Raid cart. Good luck to all the bidders and I look forward to keeping an eye on it. 

• Like 1