IGNORED

Air Raid Goodwill Auction

Mockduck

On 6/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Keatah said:

What makes this cart so sought after? It's just a piece of plastic with a sticker. Modern manufacturing could dupe it in a day and make thousands.

What makes this card so sought after?  It's just a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's picture on it.  There are plenty of pictures of Mantle out there.

What makes this comic so sought after?  It's just some newspaper stock from the 60s with Spiderman on the cover.  There are plenty of pictures of Spiderman out there.

What makes this painting so sought after?  It's just some canvas with paint on it signed by Picasso.  There are plenty of posters from Picasso.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

What makes this card so sought after?  It's just a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's picture on it.  There are plenty of pictures of Mantle out there.

What makes this comic so sought after?  It's just some newspaper stock from the 60s with Spiderman on the cover.  There are plenty of pictures of Spiderman out there.

What makes this painting so sought after?  It's just some canvas with paint on it signed by Picasso.  There are plenty of posters from Picasso.  

The difference being, along with the age and rarity, those paintings, cards and comics are considered quality works of art to varying degrees.

this cart is not. The game itself is utter crap, and the label art looks like it was drawn by your average 2nd grader with a box of crayons. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems an Air Raid cart can be duplicated pretty easily. PVC pipe or not. Just copy the shell and spiff up the label. And it could be BETTER than a ratbag piece of plastic from decades ago. Never mind the twisting and churning of justification that goes on in collector's heads - a festering contest of one-upmanship elitism bolstering a weak ego. A contest where one is pulled into the lull. That a piece of plastic = $$$ is only a creation in one's mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Seems an Air Raid cart can be duplicated pretty easily. PVC pipe or not. Just copy the shell and spiff up the label. And it could be BETTER than a ratbag piece of plastic from decades ago. Never mind the twisting and churning of justification that goes on in collector's heads - a festering contest of one-upmanship elitism bolstering a weak ego. A contest where one is pulled into the lull. That a piece of plastic = $$$ is only a creation in one's mind.

Shhh.  Nobody tell him about NFTs.  

Or baseball cards. Or the Mona Lisa.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The difference being, along with the age and rarity, those paintings, cards and comics are considered quality works of art to varying degrees.

When you look out across the vastness of the Universe the most grand piece of artwork is but an inconsequential arrangement of sub-atomic particles.

this cart is not. The game itself is utter crap, and the label art looks like it was drawn by your average 2nd grader with a box of crayons. 

How true that is! It seems to have value because someone says so. A new flunky is christened every time one of these trades hands.

13 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

It's at $4,101.00 now lol

With 4 more days left I wonder how much higher it will get. 

I can't imagine what someone who is legit ok with buying this and in a position to do so will do in the final minute of bidding. Gonna be wild!

I don't have anything against collectors wanting to own rare carts like this, but after playing Air Raid on Stella, I feel I owe Mythicon an apology for having called Fire Fly the worst game published for the system during its initial run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not surprised in the least by any of this. The entire retro gaming market has been on an upward spike for several years now and the covid pandemic of the past year or so has added even more fuel to that fire.

People have been stuck at home & bored out of their minds for longer then ever before. And people have had very limited access during this time to entertainment venues such as concerts, movies, shows, traveling, etc. So it’s created the perfect storm.

Bored at home with lots of money and nothing to spend it on.

26 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

From the picture they took of the game.

So, if I told you I saw this picture 4 years ago, what would you say?  It could also be a picture of a picture, that was rendered to look like a real picture.

• Like 1