Jump to content
Mockduck

Air Raid Goodwill Auction

Recommended Posts

On 6/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Keatah said:

What makes this cart so sought after? It's just a piece of plastic with a sticker. Modern manufacturing could dupe it in a day and make thousands.

 

What makes this card so sought after?  It's just a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's picture on it.  There are plenty of pictures of Mantle out there.

 

What makes this comic so sought after?  It's just some newspaper stock from the 60s with Spiderman on the cover.  There are plenty of pictures of Spiderman out there.

 

What makes this painting so sought after?  It's just some canvas with paint on it signed by Picasso.  There are plenty of posters from Picasso.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What makes my penis so sought after? It's just some lump of flesh.  Modern manufacturing could...."

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

What makes this card so sought after?  It's just a piece of cardboard from the 50s with Mickey Mantle's picture on it.  There are plenty of pictures of Mantle out there.

 

What makes this comic so sought after?  It's just some newspaper stock from the 60s with Spiderman on the cover.  There are plenty of pictures of Spiderman out there.

 

What makes this painting so sought after?  It's just some canvas with paint on it signed by Picasso.  There are plenty of posters from Picasso.  

The difference being, along with the age and rarity, those paintings, cards and comics are considered quality works of art to varying degrees.

 

this cart is not. The game itself is utter crap, and the label art looks like it was drawn by your average 2nd grader with a box of crayons. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Every single time I see one of these threads all I can picture is the Bobby Moynihan sketch from SNL about Star Wars toys.

 

"...or leave it the box, and never touch them!"

 

 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems an Air Raid cart can be duplicated pretty easily. PVC pipe or not. Just copy the shell and spiff up the label. And it could be BETTER than a ratbag piece of plastic from decades ago. Never mind the twisting and churning of justification that goes on in collector's heads - a festering contest of one-upmanship elitism bolstering a weak ego. A contest where one is pulled into the lull. That a piece of plastic = $$$ is only a creation in one's mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Seems an Air Raid cart can be duplicated pretty easily. PVC pipe or not. Just copy the shell and spiff up the label. And it could be BETTER than a ratbag piece of plastic from decades ago. Never mind the twisting and churning of justification that goes on in collector's heads - a festering contest of one-upmanship elitism bolstering a weak ego. A contest where one is pulled into the lull. That a piece of plastic = $$$ is only a creation in one's mind.

Shhh.  Nobody tell him about NFTs.  

 

Or baseball cards. Or the Mona Lisa.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The difference being, along with the age and rarity, those paintings, cards and comics are considered quality works of art to varying degrees.

When you look out across the vastness of the Universe the most grand piece of artwork is but an inconsequential arrangement of sub-atomic particles.

 

Quote

this cart is not. The game itself is utter crap, and the label art looks like it was drawn by your average 2nd grader with a box of crayons. 

How true that is! It seems to have value because someone says so. A new flunky is christened every time one of these trades hands.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

"What makes my penis so sought after? It's just some lump of flesh.  Modern manufacturing could...."

..chop it off, process it, and someone having breakfast would grimace and ask for a refund.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Keatah said:

..chop it off, process it, and someone having breakfast would grimace and ask for a refund.

So you're saying no different than usual for me. Gotcha.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what I'm sayin'. Just strolling and trolling and making fun of collectors. That's all!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's at $4,101.00 now lol

 

With 4 more days left I wonder how much higher it will get. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

It's at $4,101.00 now lol

 

With 4 more days left I wonder how much higher it will get. 

I can't imagine what someone who is legit ok with buying this and in a position to do so will do in the final minute of bidding. Gonna be wild!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

$4,506.00 now with 2 days left.

 

To put things in perspective that is $1000 more than what I paid for my current car. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have anything against collectors wanting to own rare carts like this, but after playing Air Raid on Stella, I feel I owe Mythicon an apology for having called Fire Fly the worst game published for the system during its initial run.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok now this is getting interesting... it just shot up another $500 in two hours. lol

 

It's currently at $5,001.00 

 

popcorn.gif.dddeec541a3f1058c1301354571ad83c.gif

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not surprised in the least by any of this. The entire retro gaming market has been on an upward spike for several years now and the covid pandemic of the past year or so has added even more fuel to that fire.

 

People have been stuck at home & bored out of their minds for longer then ever before. And people have had very limited access during this time to entertainment venues such as concerts, movies, shows, traveling, etc. So it’s created the perfect storm.

 

Bored at home with lots of money and nothing to spend it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Supergun said:

Bored at home with lots of money and nothing to spend it on.

Proof that pandemic lockdowns make ya' stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, CPUWIZ said:

 

The picture looks real, who knows where the picture came from.

From the picture they took of the game.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

From the picture they took of the game.

 

So, if I told you I saw this picture 4 years ago, what would you say?  It could also be a picture of a picture, that was rendered to look like a real picture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

 

So, if I told you I saw this picture 4 years ago, what would you say?  It could also be a picture of a picture, that was rendered to look like a real picture.

screen_shot_2018-10-26_at_8_12.30_am.thumb.png.b043aa30bc5a1f38a93d58dccd949f9d.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...