IGNORED

Galaxian / Bosconian

ZillaRUSH

Given the backlog, and the amount of work involved in the boxes/manuals/decals, I wouldn't expect Galaxian for some time. As with everything homebrew Atari, patience is a virtue ;)

I personally order bulk (combined with a friend to help with postage/duty), usually once a year and generally I'll have to wait a few months before I see them. It's not a problem. This is all very small scale stuff done by a very small group of people for what amounts to little to no real money if you take into account the sheer amount of work required.

• Like 3

The Atari 2600 and 8-Bit versions of Bosconian are amazing. I especially like how the 8-Bit version has that jammin' title music. If someone were to port Bosconian on the 7800, we would have the game on all three of the 8-bit Atari consoles. Funny enough, Bosconian was actually in development for the Famicom at one point. It ended up getting cancelled because they couldn't get the scrolling to work. However, this was early in the Famicom's life. So, they probably didn't know how to take full advantage of the hardware yet. And with how great the 2600 and 8-Bit versions are, I'm sure the 7800 would do a great job at representing it. Another top game I would like to see on the system is Rally-X, which features a similar radar system. Maybe if I ever get around to finishing Dig Dug 2, that could be a game to do afterwards.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dauber said:

The way I see it...if there's never a 7800 Bosconian, I won't be upset...because Draconian on the 2600 is THAT EFFING GOOD. Seriously. If you like Bosconian but don't have Draconian, GET IT NOW.

This with knobs on. It's bloody brilliant.

Now a nice 7800 version of Phoenix, that I could get behind. The 2600 version is good, but it could be so much better... :)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, juansolo said:

Now a nice 7800 version of Phoenix, that I could get behind. The 2600 version is good, but it could be so much better... :)

......and an 8-bit and 5200 versions as well. @DearHorse WAS working on one BITD but lost the code years ago, it was never reworked on let alone released even in unfinished or prototype-form.

9 hours ago, juansolo said:

During discussions in the thread(s) where Bob D. was developing UNIWars and then converting that to Galaxian, I made the suggestion that while he was making obscure or less-appreciated shooters, he should consider Phoenix or Satan’s Hollow. Either of these could be awesome on the 7800. 

• Like 5

Oh, I actually just remembered another game that would be great on the 7800, King & Balloon! That game runs on the same hardware as Galaxian, and it even has digitized speech. And since we already have a great port of Galaxian, I think it's possible to make a good port of King & Balloon based on Galaxian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

During discussions in the thread(s) where Bob D. was developing UNIWars and then converting that to Galaxian, I made the suggestion that while he was making obscure or less-appreciated shooters, he should consider Phoenix or Satan’s Hollow. Either of these could be awesome on the 7800. 

or even Demon Attack (Imagic) I loved that and Phoenix on the 2600 :D 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

100% for Satan's Hollow, that would be amazing for the 7800! One of my favourites!

- James

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I bought that on cart a while back and I'll have to pop it in once I get the new 5200 controller I ordered!

- James

From one reviewer to another just asking, is your new controller one of the Best-modded CX52 sticks? They are an absolute godsend and I swear by everything Best Electronics does and have for over a decade. If it's a different one leyt us know and I just might pick one up too.

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

From one reviewer to another just asking, is your new controller one of the Best-modded CX52 sticks? They are an absolute godsend and I swear by everything Best Electronics does and have for over a decade. If it's a different one leyt us know and I just might pick one up too.

I purchased this analogue one from Maker Matrix but I'll probably buy this digital one from RetroGameBoyz when they're available again as I enjoy playing with a traditional arcade joystick.

- James

Note to all: Sorry about how off topic this answer is, this has nothing to do with Galaxian or the Atari 7800.

• Like 3

Going to check out Galaxian, this is news to me and was one of my fav' 8bit arcade games. 

Looking at Eagle Empire for the Acorn BBC Micro and Commodore 64 (Alligata Software) with the same sort of wide pixel multicolor graphics an excellent port is perfectly possible on the 7800 I would imagine. 

I actually think Phoenix on the 2600 is one of the best games ever released for the system, it looked great for a conversion and it was super slick game response. I had Phoenix for my 2600 and also Eagle Empire on my C64 I got in 1983, I would be equally happy to play either (but neither with the stock VCS joystick....I only use a Zipstik by Euromax) I played the arcade game a lot as a kid.....pocket money permitting.