IGNORED

Atari VCS is finally in Saudi Arabia

Madi

A question better posed in the Atari VCS forum where those who already own them from supporting the developers post. I guess the units for customer pre-orders have started rolling out. I know that here in the U.S. they will be available for on-line purchase from Best Electronics, Gamespot and one other electronic outlet I forget (they have 25 locations nation wide) on the 15th of June with units in-stock in stores "later." I have a rich friend who's buying us both one on the 15th, so for me, free is worth it.:grin:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I saw the review of it, and I wasn't impressed, the guy doing the review was more in tune with how cool it looked on his desk as opposed to what it could do. Basically it comes to the point that its under powered and pricey and add to that you have to supply a PSU AND a controller at cost to you makes it a bit of an over spend...

I myself don't want one, I can emulate the 2600 etc and I don't really think its good-looking, so I'd suggest a wait and see if it drops in price or people get it and sell it soon after.

3 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

Well, it is an Atari-themed emulation machine with really cool controllers that could sit nicely between my vintage hardware. I want it ?

exactly this, and it can be your fujinet TNFS , RespeQT, APE, Print, this or that server as well...

an all Atari environment :)    you might even install Altirra etc....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Some of you guys have too much money :)

I get its an Atari item (ish) and it may be the last ever Atari item as hardware but I'd only get it at rock bottom price..

Frankly, the only way I'd ever buy one would be to get it second-hand.  I really do not want to give that company any of my money.

It's a low-spec PC in an Atari-alike case.  People are doing Linux things with them, but there are other ways to reach the same ends without the comparatively high cost of the system.  @Madi, you may want to check into the VCS forum for more (read: better) info, but be aware that just about everyone in there is kinda fanatical about the machine.

• Like 1

I'm glad I resisted the urge for anything with the Atari name splashed on it.

It's an impressive looking machine, and the reviews have been alright, but there's just no software support for it.

The main push is their "Atari Collection" which has been on Steam and other platforms for ages, dirt cheap.

Then they have developers pushing $30 home brewed games, that aren't even finished......

"Congratulations, you've gotten this far, now wait for additional levels in the future!".

It just feels like a half baked project, which is a shame, because I'd love to see the Atari name popular again,

but this ain't Atari :(.

For the current price of $299 it is overpriced, but backers could get it for $199, which was a much more reasonable price. Plus two controllers for $59. It is just a low-end PC hardware-wise, but well designed inside and looking nice. Moreover, it has upgradeable RAM and storage.

Edited by pseudografx

On 6/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

exactly this, and it can be your fujinet TNFS , RespeQT, APE, Print, this or that server as well...

an all Atari environment :)    you might even install Altirra etc....

Yep, when I get mine, my 10-year-old tower PC goes to storage and this will sit in-between my 1200XL and 800 for these very reasons. Occasionally I will hook it up to my projector for modern gaming. It's still more powerful than anything I own short of the Xbox One S. Besides, what's "under powered" for someone who enjoys vintage gaming all the way to modern? It's more powerful than my current PC, so it will be an upgrade there for a guy who only upgrades PC's once a decade, and never pays new, full-price  for any PC ever, and are generally at least a couple years old when I buy or am given a PC (this will be a gift, so that still stands). This will actually be the first NEW PC I've ever owned instead of picking up used for cheap or free and upgrading them!

Edited by Gunstar