Wizzard

Berzerk HSC PAL/NTSC terminating game after some time

Posted (edited)

I noticed strange issue that may or may not be a PlusCart issue. I like Berzerk and wanted to make a new high score so I played it maybe 30 minutes until I got pretty high score (more than 50.000) and after that the game was terminated suddenly, like I was killed, but I had a lot of lifes yet. The background changed the color to cyan like it was game over and the game was finished. It happened twice in a row with NTSC Berzerk and then also with PAL Berzerk (score more than 80.000)

I have not noticed this issue before. I am using RGB modded Atari Junior original PAL version and have only PlusCart cartridges. Tried just one of my two PlusCart cartridges, will try another too.

I am using the latest firmware version (2.1.0).

Edited by Wizzard

Are you using a PlusROM or a normal ROM?

Using PlusROM with High Score (HSC) version.

Then I would guess that there is a hidden bug. Who programmed the ROM?

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Then I would guess that there is a hidden bug. Who programmed the ROM?

@Omegamatrix

2 hours ago, Wizzard said:

I noticed strange issue that may or may not be a PlusCart issue. I like Berzerk and wanted to make a new high score so I played it maybe 30 minutes until I got pretty high score (more than 50.000) and after that the game was terminated suddenly, like I was killed, but I had a lot of lifes yet. The background changed the color to cyan like it was game over and the game was finished. It happened twice in a row with NTSC Berzerk and then also with PAL Berzerk (score more than 80.000)

I have not noticed this issue before. I am using RGB modded Atari Junior original PAL version and have only PlusCart cartridges. Tried just one of my two PlusCart cartridges, will try another too.

I am using the latest firmware version (2.1.0).

there was a score (250 game 0) sent by your PlusCart:

2021-06-11 09:36:42 (CET Central Europe Time)

and two loading events at:

2021-06-11 08:45:44  (NTSC version)

2021-06-11 09:37:52  (PAL version)

@Wizzard can you tell when the crash happened? Do you have screenshots?

The crash happened a while before these scores. The score was not uploaded after crash, cause the game was not finished correctly. Those scores were just short games which I finished very soon. I may take a picture next time.

Posted (edited)

Now it happened at score around 60.000

This is the screen which appeared.

My second PlusCart.

IMG_20210611_235905.jpg

Edited by Wizzard

Today I tried just ordinary Berzerk NTSC to try some high score, if the problem persists.

I noticed it also yesterday on HSC Berzerk, sometimes I cannot shoot. I am pressing fire and I see no missile. Tried both PlusiCarts I have. First it worked, later it stopped working, I may just move and cannot shoot a missile.

I found there is a game killing bug in regular Berzerk carts:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/183006-berzerk-reset-bug/?tab=comments#comment-2300120

I'll fix this one and post some new roms. With not being able to shoot, are you saying that happens on a regular Berzerk cart as well?

• Like 1

I have just posted some updated Berzerk roms into the HSC club. I fixed the too many lives & attract mode sudden death glitches. I also put in an extra write for SWCHA so that accidental early exit came be avoided.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

With not being able to shoot, are you saying that happens on a regular Berzerk cart as well?

Yes, mainly with regular Berzerk ROM. Also noticed that fire button not working sometimes in some PlusCart menus. Will try today with the new PlusCart firmware.

How can you reach 128 lives with just 60,000 points? There is an extra live every 1K. I suppose there is another bug.

11 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

I have just posted some updated Berzerk roms into the HSC club. I fixed the too many lives & attract mode sudden death glitches. I also put in an extra write for SWCHA so that accidental early exit came be avoided.

You mean extra read (LDA SWCHA) ?

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How can you reach 128 lives with just 60,000 points? There is an extra live every 1K. I suppose there is another bug.

If you look at the link I posted there is another glitch with attract mode the way I understood it is that any time the player is not moving there is a timer incrementing and eventually it will go into attact mode. I put Nukey's fix in there to clear the timer when the player is moving.

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

You mean extra read (LDA SWCHA) ?

Yep that's what I meant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

If you look at the link I posted there is another glitch with attract mode the way I understood it is that any time the player is not moving there is a timer incrementing and eventually it will go into attact mode. I put Nukey's fix in there to clear the timer when the player is moving.

Got you. Thanks!

Ok, it is fixed, Berzerk was not terminating and I was able to get more than 100.000 points.

Also it seems that the fire issue was caused by my joystick. I replaced it and it was ok.

• Like 1