IGNORED

Jaguar CD Encryption Bypass thread!

Sauron

On a side note:  Dave Staugas was an amazing programmer.  He had indicated to me he was the one guy in Atari who they brought the strange projects to.  He was also well liked by Jack Tramiel.  That's why you find the "Dave StaUgas loves Bea Hablig Nu" in every ST ROM.  Supposeably Jack Tramiel like this that he mandated that every ST ROM will have this message embedded into it.

It's probably very sad, but I immediately recognised the Nu at the end of that sentence as an RTS instruction. It's hex 4E75... just shows how many rom dumps I've looked at over the years.

Gordon

Oops. I thought that was part of the name.

Glenn

It's probably very sad, but I immediately recognised the Nu at the end of that sentence as an RTS instruction. It's hex 4E75... just shows how many rom dumps I've looked at over the years.  

Gordon

Oops. I thought that was part of the name.

Glenn

Got me thinking...does this 'message' actually do anything? If Nu is RTS, the capitalised U in the middle implied to me that the hex value mattered...

So for you ST people, what does

44 61 76 65 20 53 74 61 55 67 61 73 20 6C 6F 76 65 73 20 42 65 61 20 48 61 62 6C 69 67

translate to?

:)

Stone

Got me thinking...does this 'message' actually do anything? If Nu is RTS, the capitalised U in the middle implied to me that the hex value mattered...

So for you ST people, what does

44 61 76 65 20 53 74 61 55 67 61 73 20 6C 6F 76 65 73 20 42 65 61 20 48 61 62 6C 69 67

translate to?

Probably not much. Note the branches to odd addresses. That can't be good.

Robert

post-119-1063563099_thumb.png

Yeah...and LinkoVitch has a capital letter in the middle of his name too. So what does THAT little snippet do?

I think it's just a message. Like "Stephen Harlan Landrum" can be found on every character disk made with the Apshai Trilogy. The fact that the value of the RTS instruction appears at the end of it implies nothing.

Hello!

Have we concluded that the task at hand is impossible? If nobody else is working on this, then I'll put more thought into it.

I could contribute some PC-power for a "Seti at home"-like project,

but it seems that to investigate and to work with the files Curt

posted an Alpine would be helpful, and i don't have any.

Matthias

I don't think the private keys are the same for both CD and Cart as the CDEncrypt program wants to get a file called PRIVATCD.KEY from the A: drive when it runs.  

Just from quick poke at the code: the path to the key files is defined with a: string so this is the reason why it asks for a disk. Looking back it had a sense to put private key on floppy disk instead of CD or other media at that time.

Just my 2 cents... going back playing with AH engine and encryption files :)

Cheers,

• 12 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old post, but really the only info I am finding. I built me an eprom cart, I ran the jagcrypt.exe file on it, and it gave me 2 files, on HI, one LO, each 2MB each. I put it on an eprom cart, and I am getting nothing but the red screen of death after the Jaguar logo comes up. I put the HI on top, LO on bottom, and vice versa. The rom worked fine on an emulator. Any ideas what I may be doing incorrect? Thanks

Sorry to dig up an old post, but really the only info I am finding. I built me an eprom cart, I ran the jagcrypt.exe file on it, and it gave me 2 files, on HI, one LO, each 2MB each. I put it on an eprom cart, and I am getting nothing but the red screen of death after the Jaguar logo comes up. I put the HI on top, LO on bottom, and vice versa. The rom worked fine on an emulator. Any ideas what I may be doing incorrect? Thanks

you may not have removed the header from the file

using jagcrypt on a file that already has a header will cause a red screen

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235779-create-and-burn-eproms-for-standard-jaguar-2-chip-cartridges/