IGNORED

APE/ProSystem Question - Creating .ATRs from disks

800_Rocks

May be a silly newbie question... I am using my APE to USB to make .ATR files/images of many real/physical diskettes using both a Happy 1050 and an indusGT drives.  Later I look at some of the resulting .ATR files within the ATR Image Explorer (a great tool).  On some images I see one or more .DAT files that always have names of the form:  FILE_0x.DAT as in the 2nd picture.  What are these?  My guess is these were files that were 'deleted' therefore they are not found in the Directory (3rd picture) but their data sectors are still found/read by ProSystem.  Is this the case?  Note:  ProSystem did not report any errors when it read this particular disk image '01a.ATR'

image.png.3db712c55b627db14f7247af1ef0565b.png

What are the 3 .DAT files circled in red?

image.thumb.png.8dca5bd53cab657786f8755e842b9e8f.png

Note 5 of the file names in the Directory are not listed above.  Where these 5 files deleted?  Maybe ATR Image Explorer has a bug in that it is not displaying FILE_02 or FILE_04?

image.thumb.png.817caf50eace1eafc8dd06d6ec876959.png

• Like 1

Those DAT files have lengths of 018,023, and 004 in decimal.  These exactly correspond to the three files having lengths of $12,$17, and $04 in hex.  Sector 361:050, :060, and :070.

I'm used to reading directory entries in hex from sector editing, LOL.  Looks like they were not deleted properly.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I know I'm a little late, but this has been fixed in the ATR Image Explorer new upgraded tool,
that I proposed here : https://pvbestinfoo.github.io/atari8-bit_rom_image_file_explorer.html which I've named Atari 8-bit Rom Image File Explorer

Please check my detailed answer I made on this issue on GitHub : https://github.com/rossumur/esp_8_bit/issues/36

The issue was a buggy handle of 1040-sector-disk DOS2.5 directory

Before / after screenshot examples here after:

image.png.a5ae2fc79c1603b84988067410bf2df4.pngCapture2.PNG.b7ce02a25f97b01c11a3c5eb80654b49.PNG

Cheers!

Edited by PVbest73
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes hidden DOS directories, and hidden DOS files.

When loading an image file, the Atari 8-bit Rom Image File Explorer tool :

• first detect if it is a disk type and which type by checking mainly its extension: XFD, ATR, PRO...
  • if it is a disk, then it detects the DOS type: DOS1, DOS2.0, DOS2.5, DOS3, MYDOS, and SPARTA are supported (not DOS XE at the moment)
  • if it is a DOS disk, then it retrieves and display the directory
  • Except for SPARTA and DOS3, the tool then scans all the sectors to try and find
  • hidden directory table (with standard DOS format)
  • all files that don't have a real directory entry, like the erased ones
  • Display the found files with FILE_00.DAT name format

The "find file" feature is done by searching in sector chaining. Obviously there is little chance to find a complete file!

I've not tested the tools with MYDOS sud-directories as I don't own a disk image file with some. 

Edited by PVbest73
  • Like 3