IGNORED

5200 Homebrew Roms and Conversions?

Tempest

Is there somewhere to get the roms for all the 5200 homebrews (the ones that are free anyway)?  They seem to be spread out between various places and I've lost track of what's available.

Also, has anyone ever done a conversion of the Atari 8-bit version of Qix for the 5200?  I know everyone says the 5200 version is better, but I grew up with the 8-bit one and that's the one I'm used to.

Check out Yar's Strike, that's Yars' Revenge for the Atari 8 bit that @Thelen put out and that @playsoft converted to the 5200, a bit more difficult than Revenge ever was, check out my review on it on The Atari Report YouTube channel (episode 1, 5200 edition). I'll post the video and the ROM for it when I fire up my laptop as I am currently on my tablet. You'll love it, a bit tougher to beat the Qotile than on the 2600.

Edited by BIGHMW

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Too bad there's no one player version of MULE.  It always looked interesting, but I have no one to play it with.

Have you got the archive.org 5200nongood pack? It contains a lot of homebrews including many of the WIP history for the games. You might say it is a little overly thorough.

7 minutes ago, Swami said:

Have you got the archive.org 5200nongood pack? It contains a lot of homebrews including many of the WIP history for the games. You might say it is a little overly thorough.

Link please. I can't wait to start digging into it, perhaps some gems await, who knows. Also perhaps some good new material for future episodes of The Atari Report.

Has anyone made conversions of these 8-bit games? 

Qix

Space Invaders

Centipede

Dig Dug

I know there are 5200 versions of each of these, but the 8-bit versions are different and are the ones I grew up with so I'd like to see them on the 5200 as well. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Qix

Space Invaders

Centipede

Dig Dug

I know there are 5200 versions of each of these, but the 8-bit versions are different and are the ones I grew up with so I'd like to see them on the 5200 as well. 

THAT would be interesting to see, because I have both a 5200 and an XEGS and have played both versions of each, and I never really thought of it, but since you asked that I would also want to see the 8-bit Asteroids ported PROPERLY to the 5200 as the original try by Todd Frye was off the mark as his conversion was uncontrollable and I have seen better 5200 ports of Asteroids-like titles like Star Island, Delta Space Arena and Meteorites so I DO believe that someone can take 5200 Asteroids and make it more playable than it was back in 1982.

Asteroids.xex Centipede (Atari, 1982).xex Dig Dug.xex Qix.xex Space Invaders.xex

Edited by BIGHMW
To add Tempest's requested 8-bit ROMs for possible conversion to the 5200
  • Like 1

BTW @Tempest since you want to play 8-bit games on the 5200 (and who doesn't, I only got my XEGS to go with her due to some games not being able to work on a 5200 due to memory size - too much RAM needed) and if you like Star Castle, check out Star Island that @playsoft converted last year and that I reviewed on the 5200 edition of The Atari Report. 

Star Island.bin

12 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

THAT would be interesting to see, because I have both a 5200 and an XEGS and have played both versions of each, and I never really thought of it, but since you asked that I would also want to see the 8-bit Asteroids ported PROPERLY to the 5200 as the original try by Todd Frye was off the mark as his conversion was uncontrollable and I have seen better 5200 ports of Asteroids-like titles like Star Island, Delta Space Arena and Meteorites so I DO believe that someone can take 5200 Asteroids and make it more playable than it was back in 1982.

Asteroids.xex 8.07 kB · 0 downloads Centipede (Atari, 1982).xex 6.44 kB · 0 downloads Dig Dug.xex 16.07 kB · 0 downloads Qix.xex 8.03 kB · 0 downloads Space Invaders.xex 4.11 kB · 0 downloads

What no love for our moderator @Tempest here??? Hey HE'S THE ONE who wanted to see these ports converted, all I did was provide access to them for maybe perhaps @Wrathchild, @playsoft, @classics or somebody to do him a favor so that he can enjoy the very same games he played on his 8-bit BITD on his 5200 for a change. I also would love to see a more proper 8-bit-to-5200 conversion of Asteroids done by one of them so we can ditch the one Todd Frye botched back in 1982 when he unsuccessfully did his conversion in which was both uncontrollable and unplayable. We all know by now that it was supposed to have been the original pack-in game for Big Sexy (hence its catalog number - CX5201) instead of Super Breakout, so we'd both love to see some 5200 love for 8-bit Asteroids.

Here is one you guys thought never existed, apparently there was somebody else besides me who found the original 5200 analog port of Gorf to be uncontrollable and unplayable, so I found a digital control version of 5200 Gorf that works well even with the stock CX52, as smooth as the arcade version was, this was the way it should've been released. I like it better then the original, you will too.

Gorf Digital Control Version.bin

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tempest said:

Qix

Space Invaders

Centipede

Dig Dug

I found another weird looking list that includes some 50 conversions to 5200 (the 128 multicart which is the first conversion listed has a few, but may be redunduntant) on github

https://github.com/frederic-mahe/Hardware-Target-Game-Database/blob/master/EverDrive Pack SMDBs/Atari 5200 SMDB.txt

no centipede conversion listed. If it exists, it is really obscure.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, Tempest said:

No, I'll have to check that out.

Also, here is a hack of 5200 pole position that uses analog up/down for the gas/brake, analog left/right for steering and fire1/2 for the high/low gear. It was designed to work with the old PC DOS racing wheels with a bohoki adapter, although you may have to adjust the pots in the pedals to start at zero Ohms. For some reason, these racing pedals start at some resistance a ways above zero, which results in always having acceleration and brake unless you push the pots in the posts to lower it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tep392 said:

I don't know why someone would want to port the 8-bit Centipede to the 5200 which has the far superior version.  8-bit Centipede was one of my bigger disappointments back in the day.  I was always jealous of the 5200 version.

I have both and have played both, and while graphically it may not be as good but playability-wise it was actually easier than the 5200 version was and also you only needed 10,000 points to get a bonus shooter as opposed to 12,000 in the 5200 version. And it was a lot easier to get to 10,000 in the 8-bit than 12,000 in the 5200 version considering that it was more simple and I could run through the levels all day on the 8-bit while I have a more difficult time dealing with those more-aggressive spiders in the 5200 version. Also, like in the arcade, you only needed to hit the fleas once to kill them in the 8-bit version as opposed to having to hit them twice on the 5200 version.