IGNORED

Using a modern USB printer with an ST?

Hi Folks

Is there any hardware that allows you to connect an ST to a modern USB only printer?  I just bought a Brother HL laser and would like to revisit some of my old ST apps like Timeworks and First Word and do a bit of printing from them.

Another idea might be something like FujiNet for A8.  That lets you print output to a PDF file that can then be printed from your pc server.

Thanks

Al

12 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

Perhaps a hat for a raspberry pi is in order. I have not tested the unit so I just give you the link since I had it. But it seems to be what you are searching for.

Not quite the thing for you, but I used an Arduino with a USB HAT to send printer output from my 8bit 800 Centronics interface to my

PC via USB, could be programmed to do something similar for the ST.

I think you would still need some sort of driver on the ST and then decode in the Arduino

2 hours ago, mdivancic said:

Well that’s cool. I had no idea you could print with NetUSB

Neither did I, thinking of ordering one for the file transfer, does anyone know if the IP addresses of this device

can be changed to suit your own sub-net, the instructions say use 192.168.255.1 and 192.168.255.2.

Like a lot of people mine is 192.168.0.xxx so would be a real pain to have to change it.

Or I suppose I could change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, that would do it 

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Neither did I, thinking of ordering one for the file transfer, does anyone know if the IP addresses of this device

can be changed to suit your own sub-net, the instructions say use 192.168.255.1 and 192.168.255.2.

Like a lot of people mine is 192.168.0.xxx so would be a real pain to have to change it.

Or I suppose I could change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, that would do it 

Yes.

The how would depend on what network stack you're using (STing, MintNet, etc)  I use a 255.254.0.0 subnet mask and the 10.x.x.x range and it works fine.

This is an actual network adapter, not a device that "acts" like one, so you can basically look at information regarding EtherNec and it should apply.

I believe there is no guarantee that it will work on your printer though. The author only tested it with his Xerox Phaser 6200 printer. IIRC, others with different printers have had mixed results. I can't find any message thread with a list of tested/verified printers. Maybe someone should start one...