IGNORED

Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle...action button hack

DEBRO

*** Updated ***

Thank you @Gallospacca for this thread. Archive updated with PAL50 and PAL60 versions of this hack.

Hi there,

I've been reverse engineering Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle. This is because it was done by Henry Will, IV and I had been looking at his other projects lately.

I've heard the dislike of pushing up on the joystick to jump. I believe I remember reading this on usenet but it was also heard in the feedback comments on Ferg's 2600 Game by Game Podcast. Reading Henry's development notebook about this project, he states Coleco didn't want to use the fire button to jump because it would have made the game too close to Donkey Kong.

Anyway, here is a hack to allow you to use the fire button to jump. I did a search for this hack prior and turned up nothing. If someone has done this already then...sorry...and no time lost for me. It was fun in my own fun way to do it. The first BANK was kind of full so I had to optimize some areas. That wasn't too hard. There are a number of areas in the code that can be optimized.

Tell me how this works. I tested it in Stella for ONE_PLAYER and it seems to work fine.

Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Caster_ACTION_BUTTON_HACK.zip

Edited by DEBRO
Added PAL50 and PAL60 versions
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Matt,

On 6/17/2021 at 4:36 PM, Tempest said:

Anything interesting hidden the code?

Nothing hidden like in Mouse Trap. I do see you score 400 points for super jumps and 300 points for regular jumps. This wasn't documented in the manual but you can see it when you play the game too. Henry also does a form of .skipDraw to draw the Smurf sprites.