IGNORED

Atari ST questions - Moving files, Megadrive, drive icons, mouse...

Please excuse the n00bness of these questions, I don't have any experience with a hard drive on an Atari ST system...

I have an Atari Mega ST2 with a Megafile 60 connected. I was able to partition the hard drive into two partitions, and I have a C icon on my desktop.

- How do I get a D icon on my desktop so I can access the other partition?

- When I drag a folder from a floppy to the hard disk, it is identified as a file, not a folder, and does not copy. How should I copy folders?

- How can I move files instead of copying them?

- Is there a way to select all files in a window, even if there are more files than will fit in the window?

- The double click speed of the mouse is too fast. I've tried slowing it down with the control panel, but it doesn't seem to work. How should I be adjusting the double click speed?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

You might want to mention the TOS version you are using or whether you're using any alternate desktops since these are functions of the GUI.... it might change the answer.

Good call... It' is TOS 1.04 and no alternate desktop involved.

5 hours ago, Calab said:

Please excuse the n00bness of these questions, I don't have any experience with a hard drive on an Atari ST system...

I have an Atari Mega ST2 with a Megafile 60 connected. I was able to partition the hard drive into two partitions, and I have a C icon on my desktop.

- How do I get a D icon on my desktop so I can access the other partition?

- When I drag a folder from a floppy to the hard disk, it is identified as a file, not a folder, and does not copy. How should I copy folders?

- How can I move files instead of copying them?

- Is there a way to select all files in a window, even if there are more files than will fit in the window?

- The double click speed of the mouse is too fast. I've tried slowing it down with the control panel, but it doesn't seem to work. How should I be adjusting the double click speed?

Thanks!

Okay, on question #1 just don't forget to save your desktop - otherwise that "D" hard drive icon will disappear the next time you boot up.

Question #2. Dragging a file or a folder from a floppy to a hard drive partition should just work. It should just copy. What, if any, message

is it giving when you do this?

Question #3. Hold down <control> when you drag the file and it will pop-up a "move" dialog instead of copy. (unless you changed something

in "Set Preferences")

Question #4. Under TOS v1.4, I don't think you can select all the files like you've mentioned. If you had TOS v2.X and up, hitting "E" (for every

thing) will select all files in a window, visible or not.

Question #5. Did you install CPX's? If you didn't, I would. There is a mouse CPX that does pretty good about adjusting the mouse movement

speed, click speed, etc. Just don't forget to save when you're done adjusting your settings.

I hope this helps.  :)

27 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Okay, on question #1 just don't forget to save your desktop - otherwise that "D" hard drive icon will disappear the next time you boot up.

Question #2. Dragging a file or a folder from a floppy to a hard drive partition should just work. It should just copy. What, if any, message

is it giving when you do this?

Question #3. Hold down <control> when you drag the file and it will pop-up a "move" dialog instead of copy. (unless you changed something

in "Set Preferences")

Question #4. Under TOS v1.4, I don't think you can select all the files like you've mentioned. If you had TOS v2.X and up, hitting "E" (for every

thing) will select all files in a window, visible or not.

Question #5. Did you install CPX's? If you didn't, I would. There is a mouse CPX that does pretty good about adjusting the mouse movement

speed, click speed, etc. Just don't forget to save when you're done adjusting your settings.

#1. Yup... I made sure to save the desktop.

#2. When I dragged the folder from A to C it showed me the copy confirmation dialog, but 0 folders and 1 files. I *think* that the floppies I used were MS-DOS formatted. My later folder copies seemed to work OK. I'm going to check that later.

#3. I tried control, but some keys on my keyboard are "iffy". I will give it another go.

#4. That sucks... I guess I'll just have to live with it.  Being a Mega ST2 I don't think I can run TOS newer than 1.04, can I? It wouldn't be much work to burn six EPROMS with an updated TOS.

#5. CPX's??? Haven't heard of that.

That definitely helps. Thank you!

#4. You can. But it needs a decoder (hardware) to use a different location in memory. That is because TOS >1.04 size is 256Kb and previous version uses 192Kb so it wouldn't fit in the memory space that TOS <1.04 used.

Another alternative is to download and burn (or buy from someone) the 192Kb version of EmuTos. That way you don't need a decoder.

You can also softload another TOS version then you have in the ROM. Just put the TOS.PRG in an auto folder. EmuTOS can be loaded this way as well. It eats a bit of your RAM though.

EmuTOS is not really compatible with plenty of good old Atari ST SW. Even regular TOS in RAM is not so compatible - good to try some things, but not for regular usage.

TOS 2.06 goes normally in 2 chips, can not go in 6. And needs extra logic HW (like GAL) in STs to work. Special solution is in 4x 27C512, still needs extra logic: http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

Section Solution for TOS 2.14 or original 2.06 with 4x 28 pin EPROM chips - no need for intermediate socket, so will remain low.

This with keyboard and mouse can be HW problem too, machine is just very old. So, as usual first thing to check, do is PSU and electrolyte capacitors. If they were not changed in last years should do it (called recap often). Keyboard connection can be weak too.

Then, it might be that some of shift, Ctrl keys gives contact when is not pressed too, and that may cause mentioned strange behavior.

Best way for case when need to copy plenty of files is to switch to txt mode - then overview is better, and can select multiple files so, that position mouse little above first, then press and keep down left button, move mouse down until last one you want to select. And of course after it need to drag it to target folder, drive.  It will be not pleasure if mouse is not in good condition, clean .