IGNORED

HOKEY demo

batari

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

How are the other emulated drivers accessed from it? Separate IRQs specific to each or?

The unused register on the POKEY chip ($0C) is being leveraged for this (and other) purposes.

This register will also be used as a way to bankswitch for dual- and quad-POKEY address spaces. This will obviate the need for wiring up A4 and A5 on existing boards and applications (though HOKEY does have physical A4 and A5 address lines as well if those are needed for the hardware/software.)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

How does it do on my stuff? ?

Seriously, though, this is awesome.  Liking it.

Currently it supports normal documented sound modes, but I am working on understanding the other modes being used today (such as two-tone mode) so I can support these too.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, batari said:

For the ultimate experience, for slightly more, there is the advanced HOKEY. This uses faster, more powerful hardware that should support quad POKEY, dozens of sound drivers, plus many waveforms, digital samples, and more. Also, the advanced HOKEY uses a DAC chipset for a CD player, so you can get CD-quality stereo sound if you want it. A standard 3.5mm stereo jack can be used for output.

when and where I can buy this one.

will it work also in the XL?

Edited by Cyprian

2 hours ago, Cyprian said:

when and where I can buy this one.

will it work also in the XL?

From the very first post in the thread:

22 hours ago, batari said:

Sorry, these are not for sale yet, but will be released this year!

Also, I can't speak for Fred, but I doubt seriously if these will work as a fully POKEY replacement in an A8 or 5200. Those machines rely on keyboard scanning, random number generation and serial I/O functions. For 7800 games or use in Concerto Carts, the POKEY serves only and solely as a sound generator. 

It might work nicely as a second chip in a dual/stereo POKEY setup however.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

From the very first post in the thread:

Also, I can't speak for Fred, but I doubt seriously if these will work as a fully POKEY replacement in an A8 or 5200. Those machines rely on keyboard scanning, random number generation and serial I/O functions. For 7800 games or use in Concerto Carts, the POKEY serves only and solely as a sound generator. 

It might work nicely as a second chip in a dual/stereo POKEY setup however.

Correct, it's designed for 7800 and maybe arcade games. All versions will proabably support the random number generator. The pot ports will likely get support down the road on the advanced version and maybe the standard version (but not the basic version.)

There is no intention to support keyboard scan or serial I/O in (at least basic and standard versions of) HOKEY as these are of no use on the 7800 and probably are not used in any arcade games either.

It may be possible to add keyboard scan and serial I/O as an option to a future advanced version, but that is an idea for a future iteration of the advanced HOKEY, maybe.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, electronicsibley said:

This is super cool, and a long time coming!

Is the user case for this that a programmer would choose the ‘level’ of Hokey chip to utilize for their particular game, based on that games needs, and then have it integrated when going though the publishing process?

For homebrew cart releases, I expect that the basic version will handle practically all of the use cases. If the HOKEY is soldered to a homebrew board, it will be configured with the sound driver(s) it needs.

The other versions are more intended for flashcarts and other uses such as where multiple sound drivers on the same chip would be beneficial, or where the extra programmability is useful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, batari said:

There is no intention to support keyboard scan or serial I/O in (at least basic and standard versions of) HOKEY as these are of no use on the 7800 and probably are not used in any arcade games either

Don't hold me to this, but I want to say that some of the arcade games used POKEY to scan for coin inputs.  For some reason, RoadBlasters is sticking in my head for this, though that may not be correct.

Really wish I could remember specifics on this.  Apologies for not being less vague.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Several detection routines use it, including mine.

It's pretty much already there (the 9/17-bit poly is what produces the random number as far as I can tell.) It's just a matter of outputting it when requested and making sure it matches the initial sequence of a real POKEY as some games rely on the sequence for detection of the chip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob McRaf said:

Interesting.  So, how well do these work with Centipede, Millipede, Major Havoc, Tempest, etc.. original arcade PCBs?

I am confident in saying that hasn't been tested yet.  Correct me if I am wrong, Fred.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, batari said:

Currently it supports normal documented sound modes, but I am working on understanding the other modes being used today (such as two-tone mode) so I can support these too.

A good test case is the Milly and Molly 7800 game.  It uses some advanced and undocumented modes (not two tone) and would be interesting to see how HOKEY handles them.

• Like 1

Millie and Molly does not sound right yet. Some of the channels do sound good to me one of them is definitely not correct. What AUDCTL and SKCTL settings are being used for this errant channel, or is there something else going on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1