IGNORED

How many Lynxes do you need?

karri

Just started this year, but I'm up to 2 Lynx IIs, one with a BennVenn screen and power rebuild I just finished last week and a McWill on the way for the other. I figured two was enough, but I still kinda feel like I want one around with an original screen, ideally a Lynx I, the model I always ogled in the catalogs when I was a kid...

@-^CrossBow^- or others, any detailed pictures of the VGA connector from your McWill mod, especially during the install? All the guides I've found on youtube don't cover that part. Everyone talks about how hard the soldering is, but the part I'm most worried about personally is messing up the case mods to attach the VGA connector.

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

@-^CrossBow^- or others, any detailed pictures of the VGA connector from your McWill mod, especially during the install? All the guides I've found on youtube don't cover that part. Everyone talks about how hard the soldering is, but the part I'm most worried about personally is messing up the case mods to attach the VGA connector.

It is really preference on where you decide to install it. On my personal one I installed it at the top of the shell in place of where the contrast wheel used to be widening the spot. But the last few I've done for people, I've found this to the be a much better location for actually using it to play games while connected up and it is more sturdy mounted this way. I actually made actual size templates that I tape to the inside and then use my Dremel wheel to cut out most of the opening. I then use small flat files to get to the opening shape I need for it to fit through. 

VGA_Connection_1.thumb.jpg.5f21293b892655312867ea699cc2e1b1.jpg

Lynx2_VGA2.thumb.jpg.99fb28b8d98ac45eb5704ffedc7b3ce6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The answer is that you can never have enough!  I have two Lynx II and a Lynx I and it is not enough.  I very much regret trading a perfect Lynx II with large carry case, power supply and a couple games for a couple of Jaguar games.  I should have just paid cash for them.

Anyway, I had one of my Lynx II modded by Crossbow and he put the VGA out in the position referenced above and it is a great spot.  I keep it next to my recliner so I can play it any time.  I really need to get my other Lynx II modded as well (Sorry Crossbow, I forgot to sent them to you.  Will set something up at a later date.).  You can never have enough Lynx!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have hmmm...

One nice condition "Japanese Made" Lynx 1 that is midway through refurbishing. I need to finish the power circuit rebuild. Works very well. Already replaced the power caps.
One non working Lynx 1... pretty rough shape and missing the battery door and the cart slot cover. Eh. She's pretty much a parts Lynx. Haven't tried too hard to save it yet.

One nice, working Lynx 2. I upgraded it with a BennVenn solder in version as I bought my BV kits right before the solderless were announced. 
One decent shape, non working Lynx 2. Fair shell, lens may be a bit rough but I might be able to polish out the scratches. Clean and not busted up.

At least 3 non working motherboards, maybe 4, for Lynx 2.

So 2 basically working consoles, one of each model, and likely enough parts to get 2 more working, one of each model. 

4 lynxes? Lynxi? What is the plural of Lynx?

4 seems a good number for one man :)

On 6/12/2021 at 3:32 AM, karri said:

My last working Lynx died again. So I decided to try to fix it. While looking for parts I discovered a box with a few other broken Lynxes and started to work on them as well.

So now I have:

Mc Will working Lynx 2 with VGA

Mc Will working Lynx 1 with VGA

Benn Venn working Lynx 2

Benn Venn working Lynx 1

4 working Lynx 1 units with original screens

7 broken Lynx 1's. 1 broken Lynx 2.

Do they breed by themselves?

Any of these for sale?

9 hours ago, sn8k said:

Any of these for sale?

Most likely yes. At some retro event. I still don't trust the post. Yesterday I received a parcel sent as piority from France in mid April. Just 3 months when the post office promised 2 weeks.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:14 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

IMG_20200502_180428.jpg

That Lynx 1 is the Taiwan version, but it seems to be painted like the Japan version too... See around d-pad.

Oh I have only 1 Japan Lynx 1. Still works great, didn't change anything to it.

I'm the original owner; bought at Toy's-R-us at full price no less.

• 3 weeks later...

My original Lynx I bought used from the mom of the kid who stole her money to buy it.

My original Lynx II bought on clearance.

Another Lynx ll which was just too cheap to resist (something unlikely to recur).

One II will get a McWill but that has been in the spares box for quite some time.

Enough for me, I only got that Game Gear because it was sooo cheap but it needs recapping.