Jump to content
karri

How many Lynxes do you need?

Recommended Posts

My last working Lynx died again. So I decided to try to fix it. While looking for parts I discovered a box with a few other broken Lynxes and started to work on them as well.

So now I have:

Mc Will working Lynx 2 with VGA

Mc Will working Lynx 1 with VGA

Benn Venn working Lynx 2

Benn Venn working Lynx 1

4 working Lynx 1 units with original screens

7 broken Lynx 1's. 1 broken Lynx 2.

Do they breed by themselves?

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

- thought i only had my original Lynx 2, but then *found another one while going thru some boxes,, so yeah they do breed

Edited by ae.tc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do breed.  I thought I had a regular Lynx II plus a backup one, and then I picked up a Lynx I because I'd never had one.  Somehow I ended up with an extra Lynx II, so now I have four Lynxes total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also in search of a Lynx I as I have 2 Lynx II's, one of them to get a Benn Venn screen soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For comlynx game testing i would need 10 lynx or so. because they consitently have issues (power plug) and go off if you just touch the cable 😛.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt like I missed a boat some years ago.. the price has jumped from 35 euros when I joined the scene again in 2009 to over a 150 when I search the local markets today.

 

Got one McWill modded and an original Lynx 2, but both have sound issues. Good enough for development, but a bit of a bummer to hear the results after of nights plowing through Chipper and listening to it on the actual hardware.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, sage said:

For comlynx game testing i would need 10 lynx or so. because they consitently have issues (power plug) and go off if you just touch the cable 😛.

Console5 sell spare power plugs. I have replaced several of them already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is all of them! I need all of them! But seriously, share those Lynx's. The more we horde them, the more obscure and niche they become. Every single household should have one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Personally I plan to hold onto at least:

 

1. The PAG-0201 Japan-manufactured Lynx I, which has the fat cross D-pad on a circular rocker.  Downside of these is that the gray paint can get scratched or chip off revealing a lighter color underneath.


1. The PAG-0200 Taiwan-manufactured Lynx I, with the skinny cross D-pad.  As far as I can tell it seems this model has gray-molded plastic rather than being painted gray, which is an advantage over the PAG-0201.

 

3. Any model of the Lynx II (in my case a PA4401).

 

For me, any Lynx needs a modern LCD replacement to truly be enjoyable to use, regardless of whether it’s a BennVenn or McWill LCD.

4CC63E29-A2C3-49F4-958A-93A555A94C30.jpeg

91939E39-1FEF-47A3-9914-D5923AE42A46.jpeg

222ADCC4-A5CD-4002-A525-49C6CC45D3CF.jpeg

Edited by ZLevee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 10:32 AM, karri said:

My last working Lynx died again. So I decided to try to fix it. While looking for parts I discovered a box with a few other broken Lynxes and started to work on them as well.

So now I have:

Mc Will working Lynx 2 with VGA

Mc Will working Lynx 1 with VGA

Benn Venn working Lynx 2

Benn Venn working Lynx 1

4 working Lynx 1 units with original screens

7 broken Lynx 1's. 1 broken Lynx 2.

Do they breed by themselves?

 


Wow haha! Nice that you were able to save so many Lynxes! I also found one more Lynx I than I remembered I had.

@ZLevee Beautiful Lynxes and photos! Damn, the Lynx I is such a great looking console.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:


Wow haha! Nice that you were able to save so many Lynxes! I also found one more Lynx I than I remembered I had.

@ZLevee Beautiful Lynxes and photos! Damn, the Lynx I is such a great looking console.
 

Thanks! I wanted to show the slight differences between the two Lynx I variants - if you look closely at the lower right of the PAG-201 screen, you can see a paint scrape. My Lynx II is out getting worked on or I could’ve included it.  But the Lynx I is nostalgic for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:


Wow haha! Nice that you were able to save so many Lynxes! I also found one more Lynx I than I remembered I had.

@ZLevee Beautiful Lynxes and photos! Damn, the Lynx I is such a great looking console.
 

Status change: one more broken "Lynx I" started up.

 

But the condition of the parts I have left is so-so. Missing glass screens, Missing parts. Broken plastics.

Plus only two weeks to start of our musical. Here Captain Hook having rehearsals with Wendy.

(picture by Chris Senn)

HookRehearsals.thumb.jpg.96d0adcc86f403888aedc4c00571902d.jpg

 

So the summer activities are taking over :)

Geesh... Some people never grow up.
Hmm... Perhaps you guys are the lost boys from Peter Pan?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ZLevee said:

Thanks! I wanted to show the slight differences between the two Lynx I variants - if you look closely at the lower right of the PAG-201 screen, you can see a paint scrape. My Lynx II is out getting worked on or I could’ve included it.  But the Lynx I is nostalgic for me.

Yeah, I noticed it. I like the look of the fat joypad more, but I haven't been able to make up my mind which one is better to play on. Both are decent. I had a Lynx II as a kid, so I'm used to play on that one, but now 30 years later the Lynx I is definitely more iconic. It looks like it could be straight out of back to the future 2 or something (the Lynx 2 looks really nice too though).
 

4 hours ago, karri said:

Status change: one more broken "Lynx I" started up.

 

But the condition of the parts I have left is so-so. Missing glass screens, Missing parts. Broken plastics.

Plus only two weeks to start of our musical. Here Captain Hook having rehearsals with Wendy.

(picture by Chris Senn)

HookRehearsals.thumb.jpg.96d0adcc86f403888aedc4c00571902d.jpg

 

So the summer activities are taking over :)

Geesh... Some people never grow up.
Hmm... Perhaps you guys are the lost boys from Peter Pan?


Nice! ^^ Yeah I have a ruined glass screen on one Lynx I too. Missing and broken parts are probably hard to replace. We recently watched disney's Peter Pan with the kids, and Captain Hook was by far my favourite character (because he was so funny). Yeah, life goal is to grow up as little as possible! 😁
 

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have:

 

Lynx I-Out to @Krip316 right now for a BenVenn mod)

Lynx II-Unmodded

Lynx II-McWill LCD/VGA mod

 

You could make do with one, but i'd say 2-3 Lynx is probably plenty.

 

The handheld that breeds for me is the GameGear...i have like 6 of them for no reason other than they basically come for free with any game lots i buy locally.  You can't throw a stick around here without getting one of these things for free.  I play more Lynx, but i do love my McWill GG, and my Blue USA and Red (Japanese) models. 

 

I love handhelds...the games and the hardware are so cool. A lot of gamers don't bother with them and that's a shame because they are missing out! 

IMG_20200502_180428.jpg

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own er 12 or 13 NGPCs so I don't think there is a limit on how many you can own, as many as you want! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct answer is :

one more than the current number. 

ANd it also works for GB, NGPC, GG,...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've 2 working Lynx II units. One with McWill and VGA that Installed when the McWill's first came out. And the other has a BennVenn screen from when those were first released. I usually use my BennVenn unit for playing games and use the McWill with VGA when I want or need to capture Lynx footage directly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Lynx, but for me the answer is none.  Use emulation to get my Lynx fix.  However, for those who are super fans of the system (hardware), go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...