IGNORED

FreeMint boot problems

I would like to run FreeMint on my Falcon.

I downloaded latest version here.

I put all the files on an hard disk partition (made with PP's excellent driver).

I removed all files from AUTO folder apart MINT030.PRG.

I booted from that partition (thanks to PP's driver).

Here's what happened:

Strange error, but it seems to be complaining the cluster size on your hard disk is too small (8K)

it's looking for 16K clusters.

Are any of your other partitions 16K cluster size, if so can you put the program there and set it as the boot drive ?

• Thanks 1

Cluster size depends from partition size - larger partition - larger clusters  needed in case of FAT16.

And since C is 512 MB cluster size is actually 16 KB, because regular TOS can max 32768 clusters - count, not size.

16K x 32768 is 512 MB.  I remember having some discussion about this with Frank Naumann.

Something is wrong by this Mint version with cluster size detection.

This is really last version for Falcon ?

I mean, I can make some correction in driver to make FreeMint work, but maybe to look some other version ?

• Thanks 1

1-18 is not the last version. Latest binaries for v 1.19 used to be available on bintray.com, but not anymore.

There are several vfat settings in the mint.cnf file. Try to modifiy them, especially the line :

FS_VFAT=C,D,E,...

and make sure your C drive is not declared in there (or comment the whole line and test the modification).

Edited by Atariforce
spelling: 'commend'>'comment'
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atariforce said:

1-18 is not the last version. Latest binaries for v 1.19 used to be available on bintray.com, but not anymore.

There are several vfat settings in the mint.cnf file. Try to modifiy them, especially the line :

FS_VFAT=C,D,E,...

and make sure your C drive is not declared in there (or comment the whole line and test the modification).

Thanks.

I checked mint.cnf and that line and similar lines seems commented:

#FS_VFAT=D,E,F,G

#FS_NEWFATFS=A,B,C,D till letter Z

In fact all lines start with #, apart two lines with SETENV

I just checked the link from where you downloaded that version of Mint, and indeed absolutely everything is commented in the config file... No wonder it doesn't behave as you expected ?

EDIT: it is actually no big deal, Mint is using its builtin default settings. But you will have to tweak them. Try the other way around, uncomment the  FS_VFAT line without modifying it so it doesn't use VFAT for drive C.

And uncomment #GEM=u:/c/mint/xaaes/xaloader.prg if you want a graphical interface (you will need a desktop too).

Edited by Atariforce
some precisions
  • Thanks 1